"double major in a single area" (1 Viewer)

dprs

HSC
hey, im going to be doing Science/Commerce at USyd, and apparently I can do a "double major in a single area".... what does that mean???

Does that mean, say, graduating with a "Double major in Accounting" as opposed to, say, a "Double major in Accounting and Economics"???

If thats correct... what, is the point of a 'double major in a single area'??

Thanks for any info :giddy:

Oz

HSC
as far as i can tell from the guidebook a double major is studing another 2 senior 8cp units. for example for a major in economics you would need to do ECON 1001,1002 (1st yr) ECON 2001 and 2002 (2nd yr) plus ECMT 1010 and 1020.
this would make up a minor in economics. to make this a major would would have to pick 2 3000 level units. a double major would require you to pick up 4 3000 level units.

seeing as i'm just starting this could all be wrong but its what i've read in the handbook, please feel free to correct any mistakes

Mejc

CSAK AZ ETO
HSC
I guess the point of a double major in a single area is probz that you would have a broader range of knowledge in the area since you do more subjects and that can only benefit you :)

gibbo67

HSC
the only downside to taking a double major is that it may prevent you from taking two majors in the one degree (e.g. commerce) if it takes you over the credit point threshold for the particular discipline, if you want them both included on your testamur come graduation

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Well, for example in Bachelor of Economic and Social Science you can major in any of the following areas: Economics, Government, Political Economy and Industrial Relations. From my understanding, depending on which major you pick, in order to fill your credit points, you may have to double major.

Economics is worth more, so if you major in it, you can just single major, wheras if you major in Government (like me) you'll have to double major in it and minor in something else (in my case, Political Economy)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)