• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Double Key Program (1 Viewer)

beefnoodle

HSC
Is it possible to do a double Key Program?
e.g. Applied Finance and Applied Economics
If i do Applied Finance, I only need to do 6 extra units (as electives) and qualified for Applied Economics.

and is it possible to do MORE than 24 units altogether?

Last edited:

John0

HSC
There already is a key program that achieves what your essentially trying to do, Economics and Finance. By doing Economics and finance you essentially end up doing all the 2nd yr units you would do in Applied Economics or Applied Finance. However some units that are specific to Applied economics or Applied finance in the 3rd yr would not be completed if you done the Economics and Finance key program.

Applied Economics or Applied Finance has 16 units that you must complete to graduate, Economics and Finance has 18 units. Keep in mind all of the units you do in the first year are identical between the key programs mentioned so your not missing out on alot of content by doing a "double key program".

Im pretty sure you can only select one key program on MYUWS, they wont let you at all select two key programs even if you do qualify for it. If you dont want to do Economics and Finance you can also do a major in one of them. You only need 24 units to graduate so there is nothing stopping you from having more then 24 units(correct me if im wrong), this can be quite difficult to achieve since you would need to do summer school or take on more then a fulltime load of units. Hope that helps.

beefnoodle

HSC
There already is a key program that achieves what your essentially trying to do, Economics and Finance. By doing Economics and finance you essentially end up doing all the 2nd yr units you would do in Applied Economics or Applied Finance. However some units that are specific to Applied economics or Applied finance in the 3rd yr would not be completed if you done the Economics and Finance key program.

Applied Economics or Applied Finance has 16 units that you must complete to graduate, Economics and Finance has 18 units. Keep in mind all of the units you do in the first year are identical between the key programs mentioned so your not missing out on alot of content by doing a "double key program".

Im pretty sure you can only select one key program on MYUWS, they wont let you at all select two key programs even if you do qualify for it. If you dont want to do Economics and Finance you can also do a major in one of them. You only need 24 units to graduate so there is nothing stopping you from having more then 24 units(correct me if im wrong), this can be quite difficult to achieve since you would need to do summer school or take on more then a fulltime load of units. Hope that helps.
I'm doing Applied Finance, first semester.
What do you have to say about the level of difficulty of Economics and Finance compare to Applied Finance?
What if i want to do a double key program (double degree) in Applied Finance and Accounting?
Does UWS allow it?

Last edited:

John0

HSC
There wouldnt be a huge difference between Applied Finance and Economics And Finance. First year units are identical between all three key programs, so there is no real difference in the first year. Im doing Macroeconomic theory, Financial Institutions and Markets and Corporate Financial management this semester. Macro theory is just expands on material covered in Australian Macroeconomy so its not terribly difficult. If you can get through the first year without any dramas i doubt you would have any issues doing any of these key programs since both eco and finance are closely related fields. Have a look at the UWS handbook and compare the units in the key programs to get a better idea of whats going on.

John0

HSC
Didnt read 2nd half of your post.
You can try adding both of them as a key program right now on MYUWS but im pretty certain it wont let you have 2 key programs.

Only way to get around this is to do one of them as a key program and the other as a major or sub major(there is a difference between a key program and a major even though alot of students use them as interchangable meanings). If you're after the CA/CPA entry qualification from doing accounting you need to do the accounting key program and additional units(look this up in the handbook).

beefnoodle

HSC
Didnt read 2nd half of your post.
You can try adding both of them as a key program right now on MYUWS but im pretty certain it wont let you have 2 key programs.

Only way to get around this is to do one of them as a key program and the other as a major or sub major(there is a difference between a key program and a major even though alot of students use them as interchangable meanings). If you're after the CA/CPA entry qualification from doing accounting you need to do the accounting key program and additional units(look this up in the handbook).

John, thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)