• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Double Degrees (1 Viewer)

spence

HSC
Miss Winey said:
To be fair, the UAI is always higher the uai of the higher single degree. (ie, it had to be over 70.)
That's wrong. I know for UTS Business/IT, the UAI is lower than for straight Business

Miss Winey

HSC
Engineering/Commerce are an interesting combination.

Its surprises me the number of engineers out there working in the finance/accounting/corporate area.
Employers who visit my uni tell us that this is because engineers are taught fantastic problem solving, innovative solution-orientated thinking skills.
They can cram entire text books in a short space of time and then be able to solve new and complex problems easily. the finance companies LOVE engineers.

Furthurmore many engineers move from technical engineers when they graduate to project managers and MANY of them pick up a masters of business along the way. There is a large proportion of people working in the upper ranks of banking industry who started with engineering degrees.

so i would suggest engineering/commerce as a good combination to get under your belt early if you're thinking of going that way.

For other reasons on why or why not to a double degree,
there are 2 opposing testimonies on this thread
http://community.boredofstudies.org...-engineers-double-degree-single-degree/2.html

they provide some good personal insight so check it out!

4unitfreak

HSC
I think double degrees are an awesome idea :D My top three preferences are all doubles so I'll most likely be doing one

lala2

Banned
HSC
"Double degrees" or a combined program of study just means you'll get two degrees in less time than if you had done them sequentially. It depends on what you want, e.g. Engo/Commerce. Do you want to take five years to do a Bachelor of Engineering and a Bachelor of Commerce, or do you not mind taking that extra semester to do a Bachelor of Engineering, then the grad entry Master of Commerce? (these are USYD examples). Both Bachelor and Master of Commerce qualify you equally, but some people have a thing for Master > Bachelor. Also, do you want any electives? In the combined B.Comm., you'd get very little, if any, space for electives, but M.Comm. maybe you could.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)