Double Degrees and GenEd (1 Viewer)

jay2000

Highest Member
HSC
Do students enrolled in double degrees, such as...Commerce/Law have to do GenEd courses?

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
i'm missing out on philosophy coz i am combining...still pondering whether that is a good thing or not

jay2000

Highest Member
HSC
i:m lucky :)

is this new or something?
i was talking to my friend early..whose older sis had to do gened even though she did com/law too..

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
but wot if say i'm doing comm/law, and i wanna pick up on my mandarin, so i wanna study say, beginners chinese...that's out of the question then?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by pigs_can_fly
but wot if say i'm doing comm/law, and i wanna pick up on my mandarin, so i wanna study say, beginners chinese...that's out of the question then?
I guess u can do it as a commerce elective, if u have enough credit points to spare

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
yeah, that's wot i thought, but i'd doubt it if i wanted to do two majors

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
woah, crazy, so do u mean overload during first year, or afterwards? r u at usyd? in which case i guess ur doing summer school rite?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
UNSW doesn't allow you to overload in first-year (or at least not in your first session).

I think USYD does if you have a very convincing case.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by tonberry_kun
so what exactly is in GenEd?
mandatory subjects that UNSW single degree students have to take thats outside ur own faculty

maniacguy

Originally posted by Lazarus
UNSW doesn't allow you to overload in first-year (or at least not in your first session).
Not quite true - this is usually up to the discretion of individual schools/faculties. I overloaded in my first session at UNSW, and I know quite a few others who have. That was around the time the Faculty of Science (est. 2002 from the merger of the Faculty of Life Sciences and the Faculty of Science and Technology) was trying to form some sort of Talented Students Program.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Interesting... a friend of mine (female arts/law student) tried to overload in her second session and they wouldn't let her. She had a UAI of 99.70 and all distinctions or better from her first semester.

Guess they're as consistent as always. :rolleyes:

mememe

So, some uni's let you do more units then you are required to?

Is this just cos you want to study more, like say you really wanted to do philosophy but you couldn't fit it in with all your other crap? Or does it mean the next year you have to do less to balance it out.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Or you just want to finish your degree faster.

maniacguy

Originally posted by Lazarus
Interesting... a friend of mine (female arts/law student) tried to overload in her second session and they wouldn't let her. She had a UAI of 99.70 and all distinctions or better from her first semester.

Guess they're as consistent as always. :rolleyes:
Consistency is within schools/faculties, not across them. For example, the overload policies for some faculties/schools (to my knowledge) at the moment are:

- Law - not in first year. After that talk about it, and talk to the people running the other half of your program too (I gather that's meant to be the gist of it).

- Commerce - only in final year, and then only if necessary, is the nominal policy. I know someone who managed to overload in first year because he sent a (very long) error message through NSS rather than talking to the faculty directly. He says it was roughly 3 A4 pages of detail. And that's why they let him do Psych 1B :p

- Science - not sure. Individual schools tend to merge it with their Talented Students Programs (physics and chemistry in particular) but I know maths will allow some overload, and I'm told computer science will as well.

- CSE is supposed to allow some overload. I've only heard of it, rather than meeting someone who's done it, though.

- Med - I can't see this as feasible. The first couple of years are structured enough that med timetables are simply done year by year, so the chances of subjects for first years and second years not clashing are slim to none. After that hospital work would take up quite a bit of time, I guess.

The science one in particular could be out of date, and you'd probably know about the law one better than I would, Laz.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)