Double degree workload (1 Viewer)

LonelyWolf

HSC
Hey,

Would doing a Bachelor of Commerce / Bachelor of Arts create an immense amount of work, especially during exam and assignment periods? Or would it depend on the electives chosen?

Thanks.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Nope. Comm/Arts won't take up anymore time per semester than straight Comm or Arts. You're just there for longer.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Just to clarify, when you study a double degree you're still completing 4 units per semester (full time). This is the same load as a student who is only studying one degree, so in essence you're only really stretching your degree out an extra year or two. In terms of your actual combination, I would imagine you could possibly have an even lighter workload than a standalone Commerce student, because you have the opportunity to balance some of the more difficult Commerce subjects with subjects from your Arts degree and vice versa (this obviously depends on your major and how well you are suited to what you're studying). It's not hard to do well in either degree if you put your head down and work hard.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Just to clarify, when you study a double degree you're still completing 4 units per semester (full time). This is the same load as a student who is only studying one degree, so in essence you're only really stretching your degree out an extra year or two. In terms of your actual combination, I would imagine you could possibly have an even lighter workload than a standalone Commerce student, because you have the opportunity to balance some of the more difficult Commerce subjects with subjects from your Arts degree and vice versa (this obviously depends on your major and how well you are suited to what you're studying). It's not hard to do well in either degree if you put your head down and work hard.
Not necessarily.

E.g. Comm/Sci @ USYD for 1st years. (This applies to all Science students)

http://sydney.edu.au/business/course/FH050

Edit: Obviously for OP, this won't be a problem.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
I should have clarified I was referring to Commerce/Arts at Macquarie Uni, since this is where the OP has his sights set IIRC.

Either way you raise an interesting point.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I should have clarified I was referring to Commerce/Arts at Macquarie Uni, since this is where the OP has his sights set IIRC.

Either way you raise an interesting point.
I know, right? Essentially anyone doing a B Sci or combined with B. Sci have to "overload" to complete their degree. It's diabolical.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't want to criticise the faculty I'm employed in but I've always wondered why I also needed to complete units from the Faculty of Science in 1st year. Personally, I've always found it a bit odd that we had to do units which didn't really pertain to the general gist of what Resource Economics about.

Nonetheless it was a good experiencing learning things I didn't have an underlying interest in but I'm still curious as to why it was necessary.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Arts students usually don't have exams =P

deterministic

HSC
Not necessarily.

E.g. Comm/Sci @ USYD for 1st years. (This applies to all Science students)

http://sydney.edu.au/business/course/FH050

Edit: Obviously for OP, this won't be a problem.
I know, right? Essentially anyone doing a B Sci or combined with B. Sci have to "overload" to complete their degree. It's diabolical.
Read right hand column of progression guide. It's still 24 units of credit per semester so it's not overloading. Some subjects are only worth 3 units of credit and hence you do 2 of them.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Read right hand column of progression guide. It's still 24 units of credit per semester so it's not overloading. Some subjects are only worth 3 units of credit and hence you do 2 of them.
Of course I know that. That's the reason I have overload in quotation marks. The course content in the Maths units is not relative to the amount of credit points given for completion, thus it is pretty much overloading. It's just a silly way the university to get students to do more work within a semester.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)