• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Double degree timetable??? (1 Viewer)

miaoww

HSC
This might be a really stupid question, but I just want to double check now. In a double degree of Commerce/Arts in Semester 1 would I have to do 2 commerce subjects and 2 arts subjects? I'm aiming to transfer to Commerce/Law and want to use Commerce/Arts to fall back on in case I don't get in, but would rather focus on commerce subjects in first year so I don't throw away time spent on Arts if I can transfer to Law.

Also, when you choose your timetable are you selecting subjects for both semester 1 and 2?

Thank you :)

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
You first semester only
and yes 50/50 subjects for both courses

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes you can do the commerce cores in sem 1 and ignore everything in arts for first year.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
there's kients like drifting who are still enrolled in law but have done no subjects for it, just so they can do their comm timetables earlier than everyone else

mreditor16

HSC
According to UNSW website (https://www.business.unsw.edu.au/students/accept-enrol/enrolment-guide-undergraduate),

"You need to enrol in the following three Commerce core courses plus one Arts course:

* Choose THREE of the following courses:
- MGMT1001 Managing Organisations & People
- ACCT1501 Accounting & Financial Management 1A
- ECON1101 Microeconomics 1
- ECON1203 Business & Economic Statistics

* ONE level Arts course depending on the choice of Arts major"

So, if one is strictly adhering to UNSW recommendations, it would be three commerce subjects and one arts subject in your first semester.

As for your second question, you will only be picking your subjects for first semester. Picking your subjects (and creating your timetable) for second semester will be in early May iirc.

pomsky

HSC
According to UNSW website (https://www.business.unsw.edu.au/students/accept-enrol/enrolment-guide-undergraduate),

"You need to enrol in the following three Commerce core courses plus one Arts course:

* Choose THREE of the following courses:

* ONE level Arts course depending on the choice of Arts major"

So, if one is strictly adhering to UNSW recommendations, it would be three commerce subjects and one arts subject in your first semester.

As for your second question, you will only be picking your subjects for first semester. Picking your subjects (and creating your timetable) for second semester will be in early May iirc.
For some reason the link currently doesn't work so I'll just post the question here instead of attempting to Google scraps of information to piece together. (Especially since you seem to be particular knowledgeable about this [emoji14])

Is it recommended (by past and current students) to do 3 of these four courses? And is the UNSW 'recommended structure' that you mentioned constant for all commerce double degrees? (eg comm/sci, comm/law) If not, what is the common (or recommended) structure for comm/law?

Finally, heard really bad things about MGMT, are there any other courses I (and any others in a similar boat) should be wary of?

Fanks : 3

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

mreditor16

HSC
For some reason the link currently doesn't work so I'll just post the question here instead of attempting to Google scraps of information to piece together. (Especially since you seem to be particular knowledgeable about this [emoji14])

1) Is it recommended (by past and current students) to do 3 of these four courses?

2) And is the UNSW 'recommended structure' that you mentioned constant for all commerce double degrees? (eg comm/sci, comm/law) If not, what is the common (or recommended) structure for comm/law?

3) Finally, heard really bad things about MGMT, are there any other courses I (and any others in a similar boat) should be wary of?

Fanks : 3

Here's the link again - https://www.business.unsw.edu.au/students/accept-enrol/enrol/enrolment-guide-undergraduate

1) Well, yes, it is recommended, because for example ACCT1501 and ECON1101 are prerequisites for ACCT1511 and ECON1102 respectively. So, if you delay doing ACCT1501 and ECON1101, it pushes back your completion of ACCT1511 and ECON1102, which can be pretty annoying if you go on to pursue an accounting or economics major - you might not have enough semesters to finish all the required subjects for the major. Simply put, what UNSW recommends is recommended for proper reasons haha.

2) The answer to this question is in the link. Anyway, UNSW's recommendation for comm/law is:

" * You need to enrol in the following Commerce core courses:

Choose THREE of the following:

* LAWS1052 Introducing Law & Justice "

3) I do Actl / Comm and have only completed my first year. The only course I've completed so far to be wary about is MGMT1001 lol.

pomsky

HSC
Here's the link again - https://www.business.unsw.edu.au/students/accept-enrol/enrol/enrolment-guide-undergraduate

1) Well, yes, it is recommended, because for example ACCT1501 and ECON1101 are prerequisites for ACCT1511 and ECON1102 respectively. So, if you delay doing ACCT1501 and ECON1101, it pushes back your completion of ACCT1511 and ECON1102, which can be pretty annoying if you go on to pursue an accounting or economics major - you might not have enough semesters to finish all the required subjects for the major. Simply put, what UNSW recommends is recommended for proper reasons haha.

2) The answer to this question is in the link. Anyway, UNSW's recommendation for comm/law is:

" * You need to enrol in the following Commerce core courses:

Choose THREE of the following:

* LAWS1052 Introducing Law & Justice "

3) I do Actl / Comm and have only completed my first year. The only course I've completed so far to be wary about is MGMT1001 lol.
Thanks mreditor! :)
Do you know if MGMT just as bad in the second semester?

mreditor16

HSC
Thanks mreditor! :)
Do you know if MGMT just as bad in the second semester?

There is identical content and pretty similar assessments each semester. Only thing of importance that changes is the LIC (lecturer in charge) for that semester - from what I've heard, whenever Hugh Bainbridge is LIC for the semester, MGMT is tad easier, whereas semesters when Lynn Gribble is LIC are known to be harder. But tbh, it's not that much of a difference. Even though I see that Gribble is LIC in Sem 1 2016, I would still get it done then, if it was up to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)