Double Degree Questions (1 Viewer)

liamkk112

HSC
idk i think alot actually. its 16k a year for 5 years. ive seen alot of degrees which are 16k a year. most 6 units of credit are 2k each, unless you do engineering
yep especially law and medicine are ultra expensive, for me tho im studying maths so its 5k a year hahah guess i dont need any facilities really though

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
yep especially law and medicine are ultra expensive, for me tho im studying maths so its 5k a year hahah guess i dont need any facilities really though
bro maybe i should just do a math degree then wth

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
what are u planning to do
actuarial studies and math double degree (i guess actuarial studies degree is the expensive part)
not sure about the actuarial studies tho as it is the kind of math i dont like that much and seems a little boring.
still have engineering in the back of my mind also

liamkk112

HSC
actuarial studies and math double degree (i guess actuarial studies degree is the expensive part)
not sure about the actuarial studies tho as it is the kind of math i dont like that much and seems a little boring.
still have engineering in the back of my mind also
yea i was thinking about acturial, but tbh it just seems like excel work most of the time lmao kinda boring

electrical engineering also sounds pretty interesting but i decided to just go with math

Luukas.2

HSC
If 6 units of credit (UoC) are 1118 dollars, then would a degree with 240 UoC be 44 720 dollars including student services and amenities?
Sounds possible.

Each Uni has its own system.

USyd, for example, has a BSc(Hons) over 4 years with 192 credit points to graduate (48 credit points per year). Not sure if this still applies, but first year subjects were 6 points per semester, so 4 subjects for a full-time load each semester. Second year subjects were 8 credit points per semester, so 3 subjects over the year. Third year was 12 credit points per semester, and you did two subjects. So, a degree in physics might be:

First Year - Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Some other subject (might not even be in Science)
Second Year - Applied Maths, Pure Maths, Physics
Third Year - Physics and Maths (for a degree with two majors) or all Physics (for a double major in Physics)
Fourth Year - Honours in Physics

Each credit point was roughly equivalent to one hour of face-to-face teaching (lectures, tutorials, prac, etc), and 1-2 hours of individual study per credit point per week was expected (supposedly). Honours, which was 24 credit points per semester, was full time. A pass degree takes three years and only needs 144 credit points and you don't have the Honours year at the end.

The USyd BSc course currently has a contribution of $10,000 per annum, whereas combined Science / Law is $12,720 for the first year.

Luukas.2

HSC
hecs-help:
- no need for upfront payment if u dont have money, paid off seamlessly through the tax system, but technically the size of the loan will increase due to indexation though again u wont really notice since the payments are just through the tax system
You most certainly will notice it...

Paying upfront (even part of it) used to attract a discount, I don't know if it still does. You will save money by paying upfront, but it is a lot of money to find if you are a student working to support yourself and living in one of the most expensive cities in the world. Some people might be able to do a deal with your parents whereby you devote money to paying HECS upfront rather than paying them board, for example.

At the end of the day, though, graduates are more employable and earn more, so it is worth taking on the debt to better your future, and not having to pay upfront removes what would be a barrier for entry for many people.

Luukas.2

HSC
Fees are based on demand and not on costs. Otherwise, law would be cheap.

liamkk112

HSC
You most certainly will notice it...

Paying upfront (even part of it) used to attract a discount, I don't know if it still does. You will save money by paying upfront, but it is a lot of money to find if you are a student working to support yourself and living in one of the most expensive cities in the world. Some people might be able to do a deal with your parents whereby you devote money to paying HECS upfront rather than paying them board, for example.

At the end of the day, though, graduates are more employable and earn more, so it is worth taking on the debt to better your future, and not having to pay upfront removes what would be a barrier for entry for many people.
when i said "notice it" i was referring to the increase in the amount due over time due to indexation if you have already taken on HECS-HELP, since it would just become another tax cost. i completly agree with the fact that there will be a noticeable difference between the upfront payment amount and the total amount paid due to the HECS loan over time, but as you have said the majority of people just don't have the money, and if you take on the HECS-HELP you likely wouldn't notice the increase over time since afaik the amount paid every tax year wouldn't increase, just the repayment amount due.

liamkk112

HSC
Fees are based on demand and not on costs. Otherwise, law would be cheap.
makes sense, though its suprising that "communications" and "society and culture" are in the most demand compared to computing, engineering, and every stem degree, but they might have not changed the list for a long while

carrotsss

HSC
HECS is an extremely good deal, it’s indexed to inflation so it’s effectively no increase and even if you do consider that an increase, the amount you’d spend on uni fees as a portion of your income and savings right now as a broke uni student is literally nothing compared to the portion of your income/savings that it will be once you’ve graduated and are in a higher paying job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)