double degree or single degree? (1 Viewer)

kkk

hey guyz~ can u choose 2 major in B commerce - accounting?
becoz,, i looked at UAC book and [B commerce -accouting] has majors such as finance and accounting etc..... which is 3 year course.
On the other hand there is double degree course [Bapplied finance/B commerce- accounting] which is 4 year course.
so isnt it quicker to choose 2 major in B commerce - accounting (eg.major in finance and major in accounting) rahter than doing double degree of B applied finance / B commerce -accounting which is a year longer?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Double degrees/concurrent degrees.. should be 4 years, unless you do alot of summer school/overloading.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
"Degrees: BCom-Accg - Bachelor of Commerce-Accounting" (from jlh's link) <--- It looks like a single degree because it only requires 68 cp. Double degrees usually require 90 plus cp.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
oh yeah i forgot to mention that it was a single degree...
i was just pointing out that you can't double major in finance and accounting under the single degree of b. commerce- accounting.

Dik

A double degree gives you broader qualifications...like bcomm(accg)/b app. fin, you can go do your CPA or ICAA training as well as being a member of some Australian Finance and Banking group or other...

Basically the single major B Comm(Accg) targets what the university recommends is relevant to would-be accountants (which considers also what the CPA and ICAA mandatorily require you to complete before you can apply for membership)

You're better off doing the double degree - it's an extra year but you broaden your knowledge... keep in mind that applied finance is a lot more mathematics than accounting, which is usually kept to add/subtract/multiply/divide...it also has a lot more economics, which can be painful for some people.

choc-chip

HSC
good question!

ppl kept telling me not 2 do the combined degree...since u can always choose 2 do the other one as the postgrad later on...like doing com-acct first then doing a MBA.. is dat ture?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
combined is 4 years
single is 3 years plus postgraduate is 1 year = 4 years

they're different things.

flamin'

If you do a double degree, it might be best to do something that is unusual or not the common path taken. It makes you stand out more. I do applied fin/acst combined... along with over half the other people in my course... that pretty much makes me a nobody really....

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
double degree + double major does that take longer?

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
but someone previously mentioned tat double major u won't get recognised by the CPA/CA institute or something while the double degrees will~~

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
hasterz said:
i dont see it :confused: lol.
many people do acst/app fin thinkin' it's the best... and then they realise they're like everyone and don't stand out.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
Sweet_Lemon said:
but someone previously mentioned tat double major u won't get recognised by the CPA/CA institute or something while the double degrees will~~
i think MQ scrapped the b. commerce (double major in accounting and finance). its good because you arn't able to get professional recognition from CA or CPA in that degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)