Dot Point 2.2.8 (1 Viewer)

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Asses evidence (include copies of your data, tables, graphs, etc..) which indicates increases in atmopsheric concentration of oxides of sulfur and nitrogen
i'm really stuck for this. its a 5 mark question :( for a research assignment. anyone know of any sources and suggestions?

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
goto hsc.csu.edu.au u can get answers to all crappy dot points like this 1 :)

abdooooo!!!

Banned
nah i don't think so. i think hsconline got that dot point completely wrong.

hey kim, i don't have any sources for graphs or anything, but try searching for their the concentration in major cities as this is a local thing. and search for the increase in acid rain data which should be everywhere. :)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
kimmel!!!! lolz, my tutor's really great.... she got this sheet on some info of this dp:

evidence of increase of so2 and nox in atm:
deterioration of air quality (so2)
events around england and north east of usa caused many death
regulation to control emission of so2
lower so2 conc. ->though still higher dan pure air

photochmical smog (nox + o3) in LA and other sunny countries
1960's LA ('s foto chemical smog), then other cities
control of nox emission on motor cars/power stations
improvement in air quality

0.01 ppm for each gas (is considered normal/healthy)
now 10 times the normal value
not sufficient to be harmful (yet)
concerned abt particular days of years that eceeds threshold

globally, hard to assess (due to lack of data before 1960's)

sigh~~~ dunno if tis right... btw, item in brackets i added jsut then.... and others are from my notes... so yea, read it wif care

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
This dot point made me call the HSC Hotline 3 times... (they should really refund 50 cents to me) because I thought CSU was werid and I couldn't get enough from CCHSC (Conquering Chemistry HSC) But basically (I just had a look at CSU at this particular dot point) the information on there is correct.

Xiao's information is really great, also, you talk about Acid Rain (and valid chemical equations, you should be able to find them in your textbook) And health problems which associate with the pollution of these oxides.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
thank god it wasn't asked as a high mark question in the HSC though :)

It might for you '04's :p

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
my study notes says:

Obtaining reliable information about atmospheric concentration of oxides of sulfur and nitrogen is difficult, as they are constantly washed out of the atmosphere by rain. Thus there is a lack of reliable data for periods before 1950. However, the general trend indicates increasing amounts of oxides of sulfur and nitrogen in the atmosphere. Ice core samples from Antarctica show the atmospheric gasses trapped in the ice over hundreds of years.

mojako

HSC
This is just a summary of all the posts...

Ice core samples from Antarctica have been analysed by the CSIRO and the Australian Antarctic Divison. These provide a measure of atmospheric gases trapped in the ice over hundreds of years. these samples have shown:
-> increases in CO2 from 280 ppm before the Industrial Revolution to 360 ppm now.
-> methane content increase from 700 ppb to 1700 ppb
--> N2O increase by 10%
Another estimate of carbon concentration is obtained by studying carbon isotopes in fossils.

Some less quantitative evidence are observations / events in our history:
-> In 1952 in London, a smog containing sulfuric acid (from SO2) and coal soot contributed to the deaths of 4000 people. Also, according to ... (above), in north east of USA as well.
-> photochemical smog (which is: "O3 particles and oxides of hydrocarbons" formed from "NOx and hydrocarbons" on exposure to sunlight) in Los Angeles in 1930s (not 1960s, according to the article entitled "Pollution" in Encarta)
-> acid rain, obviously, with its effects such as increasing acidity of lakes in Scandinavia, damage to pine forests in Europe and North America, erosion of priceless statuary in Europe which in the past 50 years did more damage than the weathering of the previous 500 years.

To accurately determine the increase in concentration globally is quite hard as acid oxides are quickly washed out by rain. There's a lack of data before 1950, during which measurements technology was limited.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
As an additional piece of advice, make sure you can distinguish between evidence for the presence of NOx and SOx, and evidence for their increase. For example, damage to statues, smog, acid rain, ... are all evidence for their presence. To be evidence of increase, you must show that (for example) damage to London statues in last 50 years is greater than damage from previous 100 (or whatever) years, or acid rain causing dieback of trees and hence avalanches in areas that have not been avalanche prone until recently.

felafel

just out of curiosity CM_Tutor, what is you background with chem? are you a chem student at uni? or some ex-student who ripped the chem in HSC and is now spreading the knowledge?

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by felafel
just out of curiosity CM_Tutor, what is you background with chem? are you a chem student at uni? or some ex-student who ripped the chem in HSC and is now spreading the knowledge?
Yes, I am still studying at Uni - doing a PhD in Chemistry Education, and an MEd.
I have a BSc(Hons I) in Chemistry with a high distinction average.
Yes, I did well in the HSC - 95 in Chem, TER 99.85 :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)