dot point - 1.3.1 (1 Viewer)

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
plan, choose equipment or resources and perform a first-hand investigation to model natural selection

can you tell me what you did? because my class decided to scrap this prac because everyone else was complaining that they had already done it last year when i wasnt there :(

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
*use the search button maybe

there was a thread about this when we did it

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
we used two colours of m and ms and then picked them randomly for a couple of goes. another prac was to chuck green and red objects into grass and then go and pick them up randomly for a certain time limit. this shows that the red ones will get picked more because they are more conspicous ie. not possessing the advantageous variation in its environment

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
yea, we used tooth picks , one type dyed in green, the others in red... randomly place em in grass, and the "predator" (an other student) comes along, try to pick up as many "preys" as possible... at the end, we seemed to haf lose mroe than half of hour green tooth picks,

and local residents start to complain there r needles in the grassland... lolz, apparently, she was doin something bare foot in the grassland... =p blehz

jesshika

supreme being
i did the lizard ones where yu roll a dice and sumthing with the cards that were different colored "orange red andd yellow"
soo yaaa

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
uhm, i reckon eh... how is dat natural selection??? =(

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
Theres a few my class did:
jelly babies, seaparated by colour in cups, three of them sprinkled with icing sugar, and one of them qith quinine sulfur <-- tastes like crap

eventually, all the jelly babies were gone except the yukcy ones were still there..

also the toothpick one

similarly you can use different coloured paper sheets, and their matching paper hole punched circles cut out, scattered over sheets, some camoflague better because they have the same colour as the sheet they are lyign on

Or, container with a few small holes punched throught the bottom of it, we oured in a mixture of different sized rocks, some were able to pass through, the others stayed in the container if they were took big (sieving)

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
Originally posted by t-i-m-m-y
we ate a pack of lollies:p
haha yea.. we did that.. the teach covered a certain colour with clear nail polish or something!! :D

malkin86

HSC
Originally posted by jesshika
i did the lizard ones where yu roll a dice and sumthing with the cards that were different colored "orange red andd yellow"
soo yaaa
We did something like that too - except we called it 'Beetleopoly' - we laid red and yellow cards out randomly in pairs, 'mated' them to give certain combos (r+ y gives o, y+y gives y, etc) and 'predated' them with a die that had 3 faces r (take out a red), 2 o and 1 y. we kept on doing this for 15 generations (half an hour) and we ended up with mostly orange and yellow.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by kimmeh
we used the lollies for the modelling of meiosis :) all we did was sit around and eat our "children" :D :p
AAHAHHAHA... kimmel... u crack me up... =)
Originally posted by malkin86
We did something like that too - except we called it 'Beetleopoly' - we laid red and yellow cards out randomly in pairs, 'mated' them to give certain combos (r+ y gives o, y+y gives y, etc) and 'predated' them with a die that had 3 faces r (take out a red), 2 o and 1 y. we kept on doing this for 15 generations (half an hour) and we ended up with mostly orange and yellow.
lolz, some creative thinkin... =)

cko

HSC
omg i rmember that hahaha it was fun but... y don't u juss ask me what tha dot point was?? I coulda just given u a copy of tha prac coz i still got it at home kimme!

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
yeah i have it and i've handed it in. its just that the one i was asking was the one where miss decided to scrap-the toothpicks one and i havent done that one yet. she said you guys did it last year wheni wasnt there so.. mehh :) its all good
spanks cko ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)