Doll's House/Nora Helmer (1 Viewer)

owoodley

I was just wondering how many people have discussed A Doll's House as exposing a mental illness, rather than female supression/feminist independence. Has anyone discussed Nora's manic hysteria and dillusional states? And sudden changes into melancholy, not unlike manic-depression & bipolar disorders?.... Then you could go even deeper and discuss Freudian aspects, such as Nora's obssession and transference of her love of her father/Helmer. As well as her projection in conversations etc etc...... anyone???

-

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
no. actually, id never even really considered doing it. im not sure i understand why u would - unless ur going 2 say that her condition has been brought on by the oppressive restraints placed on her by society? seems a little weak though. i guess u could look at it as symbolic - a sort of accompaniment to Dr Rank's comments to Torvald that if being morally corrupt makes you 'ill' then all society's s nursing home.
u mentioned Nora's tranference of her affection/dependence from her father to Torvald - Torvald talks about that at the end doesn't he? anyway, my point was that isnt this really just another example of the suppression of women by the patriarchy and designated gender roles?

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Makes sense to me. I haven't looked at it from that angle and I'm not certain whether I think your on to something....still you can argue anything as long as you back it up.
For an exam though it may be too much for a fifty minutes or whatever. If you can analyse it simply and quickly and back it up I don't see what's stopping you.

By the way, have you researched psychological abnormalities etc before, or are you just guessing, or rather having an educated guess.

owoodley

Enlightened_One said:
By the way, have you researched psychological abnormalities etc before, or are you just guessing, or rather having an educated guess.
Yes sir, I have. There's no point guessing in life when the information is out there....

-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)