Doing honours at a different uni (1 Viewer)

dfm

HSC
if i was to go to the gong for law, what kind of marks would i need to achieve in order to be able to complete honours at somewhere like syd or unsw?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
dfm said:
if i was to go to the gong for law, what kind of marks would i need to achieve in order to be able to complete honours at somewhere like syd or unsw?
I am not sure what you mean.

Are you suggesting that you would start at UOW, then transfer to USyd or UNSW to complete the rest of your degree, where you would seek to do Honours?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
as a general rule, you pretty much cannot be awarded a degree if you've completed more than half of it at another university.

undergraduate law is even more particular - you cannot transfer to UNSW if you've completed more than 1 year's full-time tertiary studies.

therefore, yes, you can enter UoW in first year, transfer out to another university and then graduate with honours in law from that university.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Honours is done as part of your first degree. Do you mean masters, which is a short post-graduate degree done after graduating from law?

In any case, if someone could provide an answer as to what kind of marks USYD/UNSW look at for their respective LLM programs, that'd be rad.

Also, as a matter of trivia: is a masters graduate 'LLB LLM', or are the first set of letters merely replaced with 'LLM'? This is important, as it relates to the amount of academic dick-waving I could potentially do.

Optophobia

HSC
LLM becomes their title. If they do doctor of laws, they become LLD.

They are no longer LLB.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Optophobia said:
LLM becomes their title. If they do doctor of laws, they become LLD.

They are no longer LLB.
Well actually, you write both in your qualifications, so you write "LLB LLM".

And in Australia, an LLD is actually an Honourary degree. You don't obtain it by going to university. A doctorate in laws either takes the form of an SJD (Doctor of Juridical Science) or a PhD.

Optophobia

HSC
You're most likely right, but LLB LLM seems a bit contradictory. The only time i've seen the two included together is when they obtained the LLB from one university and the LLM from another university.

http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/law/faculty/staff.html said:
Sir Gerard Brennan Research Professor

P M Redmond, BA, LLM (Syd)

Director (Students)

B M Olliffe, BA(Hons), LLB (Syd), LLM (UTS), Solicitor of the Supreme Court of NSW

Director (Courses)

R Reynolds, BA, LLB, LLM, PhD (Syd)
The first person is what i said. The second person is a compromise. The third person is what you said. Confusing :eek:

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
I think that's because you used to be able to do LLM without doing an LLB - the prerequisite is something else. Not 100% sure about that one.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Optophobia said:
You're most likely right, but LLB LLM seems a bit contradictory. The only time i've seen the two included together is when they obtained the LLB from one university and the LLM from another university.
This is indeed the reason:
_dhj_ said:
I think that's because you used to be able to do LLM without doing an LLB - the prerequisite is something else. Not 100% sure about that one.
An example is Justice Gummow of the High Court. His Honour has a BA and LLM, but no LLB.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Sorry I hit the post button prematurely -- I think in the old days a Masters of Law could qualify you for practice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)