Doing English (Standard) and failing... Any tips/advice? (1 Viewer)

Laughable

HSC
So recently in my half yearlies, I received a 10/25 for my interview on Belonging. It's 33% for the assessment mark or whatever.
I don't know why I'm doing so bad in english... I know it's standard and you're probably going to laugh at my marks but I really need help. I'm seriously HORRIBLE at analyzing texts. I don't know what happened but ever since year 11, I've been getting D's for nearly every English assignment I've received. The only time I got a B was when I was doing a speech. I don't know what's wrong with me.

I don't even think it's possible for me to get a 70 ATAR...I seriously need help because I feel so demotivated with my marks.

I got average to mediocre marks for my half yearlies for the rest of my subjects also.
I seriously need motivation and I don't know how I can conquer my extremely bad habit of procrastinating.
Can anyone PLEASE help me? I feel like I've already failed on life...

Lol I just noticed that I repeated myself 5 times. I guess I'm trying to emphasise how BAD I'm doing now.

Last edited:

madharris

HSC
N/A
Think about what you want to do after school, make those your long term goals, as well as make short term ones e.g. Get 70% in the next exam in whatever subject. Set yourself small studying goals like, study for 1 hour with no distractions or finish pages x to y without getting distracted.

You might want to talk to your schools career advisor (or similar) and set new goals for after school such as a tafe couse, a different uni course, different ways of getting into a uni course.

You might also want to talk to you teachers, see what you're doing wrong in your assessments, class tests, homework (do u listen/work in class?). Ask them how to improve and if they can help you after class or at lunch.
Possibly try looking for tutors to help you in your weak areas.

With English, write essays/ creative writing for each module, take them to our teacher/ tutor to mark them and redo them until they're band 6 worthy. With English and probably all your other subjects, it's all about practice/revision.

Hope that helps, goodluck

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
A few things:

Work on learning your language techniques. They don't need to be overly complex: simile, metaphor, assonance, alliteration, repetition, allegory, onomatopoeia, vectors, rhythm etc.

Practice analysing texts. Pick a film/artpiece/piece of writing and analyse it. Draw everything out of it.

Read this: http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=257183

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Just read the above three posts and can attest to their accuracy. Getting someone to diagnose your study methods (a class teacher or a tutor) and help you prepare for your assessments properly would also be extremely useful.

Good luck!

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Go through your texts, get 3 quotes from each where you can easily see techniques, and you can relate back to the rubrics, get a teacher to help you deconstruct them, then get them to help you with writing essays and structure and shit, memorise them, and then profit.

asdfghjklmz

HSC
Half of your subjects are similar to mine lol
So what did you end up doing to improve your marks? I think my marks are similar to yours but for preliminary only. I got two D, a C and for my speech a B+ (have absolute no idea how though)

NWO

HSC
Why are people answering a thread which was created nealy 1 year ago lol. DW. 70% of our grade failed english = less than 50%!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)