Does your school post your cumulative rankings? (1 Viewer)

adomad

HSC!!
HSC
I remember when i was in junior school i used to see seniors looking at their rankings which were posted outside the staff rooms. for some reasons they stopped doing that. is it a new law or something? or can a school decide whether or not to show students their total rankings??

i think by removing the rankings from the students eyes, the competitiveness has dropped dramatically. they still tell us our rankings for each assessment we do, but im thinking that they are doing something funny behind closed doors.....

does your school show you your overall rankings??:fish:

swathard

HSC
I remember when i was in junior school i used to see seniors looking at their rankings which were posted outside the staff rooms. for some reasons they stopped doing that. is it a new law or something? or can a school decide whether or not to show students their total rankings??

i think by removing the rankings from the students eyes, the competitiveness has dropped dramatically. they still tell us our rankings for each assessment we do, but im thinking that they are doing something funny behind closed doors.....

nah, it was removed from our school because it was realised that each student has the right to privacy (in terms of their marks and ranks).

swathard

HSC
lol hahaha. this is an all sydney tech posting. :)

haha, study? dude, it's just about christmas! relax!

Misyndo

HSC
Wtf, when did they remove the rankings?
They had it back when i was doing IPT in year 10 :|

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
My school does not post the cumulative rankings - they give us our own ranking which is published in our School Report. If anyone wants to share their rank, it's up to them.

However, my Legal Studies teacher very famously (at least in the class) shared cumulative rankings - if we so asked for them.

HSC

??????????????????????

They posted ranks up????????? Don't remember seeing any of that in junior years :\.

BTW all techies here haha.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Students have a right to know their own marks and their own ranks.

They also have a right to have no one besides themselves and their teacher, and the limited number of other staff at the school higher than the teacher, know their marks and ranks.

It is due to privacy legislation.

pman

Banned
HSC
our english department would hand us a folded slip of paper becouse somebody complained that someone else knew their rank...It was quite amusing really

adomad

HSC!!
HSC
Students have a right to know their own marks and their own ranks.

They also have a right to have no one besides themselves and their teacher, and the limited number of other staff at the school higher than the teacher, know their marks and ranks.

It is due to privacy legislation.
congratz on the exactly 1000 posts lol

so if i go to my teachers and ask them what my overall ranking is, they can tell me??

HSC
congratz on the exactly 1000 posts lol

so if i go to my teachers and ask them what my overall ranking is, they can tell me??
They usually tell us our own ranks only :|. You can always take a peek at other people's ranks when NoYes calls us to look at our ranks 8D.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Do you think we can apply under Freedom of Information for the cohort's ranks in a particular subject, including the rank gaps (since these are basically never released and the only way we know is if kids talk to each other).

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Do you think we can apply under Freedom of Information for the cohort's ranks in a particular subject, including the rank gaps (since these are basically never released and the only way we know is if kids talk to each other).
No because you have no right to know the information about other students.

You might get told that first was two marks ahead of second but not the actual marks as they belong to the students who earnt them only.

Tofuu

HSC
privacy probably and it won't make some students feel bad about their marks

Essjaybee

HSC
Our school doesn't give us any rankings for assessments or overall. We have a principal with really stupid policies. We only find out things from asking each other and end of year awards.

jet

Banned
HSC
We get it on our reports. Otherwise they're kept private if we are told them by teachers. ~Top 3 in assessment tasks get a mention.

elmoateme

HSC
Our school doesn't post them outside the staffrooms, but they usually pass around a list with the ranks for the assessment and the cumulative ranks, or the teacher reads them out (unless anyone objects). Mind you, the language teachers never give out ranks, we only ever find them out on the reports as of yet. Mind you, that will probably change this year.

Mostly people at my school are quite liberal with their ranks and marks if you ask, and even at the top end its more curiosity than outright competitiveness.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)