Does Year 11 count towards UAI? (1 Viewer)

Brizza2ndtime

HSC
Pretty basic question.

Does any part of year 11 including assignments and assessments count towards the calculation of the UAI or is it all to do with year 12 subjects?

Brizza2ndtime

HSC
So if I complete year 11 to get into year 12 but my marks in year 11 are miserable, it won't matter towards the calculation of my UAI because it is all based on year 12 results?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Generally your year 11 marks make no contribution to your final HSC marks and thus no contribution to UAI. However a small handful of places(incl. some TAFEs) will include the final preliminary assessment as part of the HSC score - though this is allowable only in General Maths, 2u Math and 3u Maths. If it is included, your teacher is required to tell you - its very rare though.

You also need to remember that you must at least gain a passing score in year 11 in order to continue on to year 12.

Brizza2ndtime

HSC
Thanks for your replies.

The reason I am asking is I previously did year 11 and year 12 a couple of years ago and now I am looking at repeating Year 12 to get a Limited UAI to go to Uni. I'm just wondering whether I should repeat year 11 and year 12 to attempt to get a good UAI or if year 11 has no bearing on your UAI, it would be in my best interests to just repeat year 12.

My previous marks in year 11 and year 12 were miserable, but I did pass year 11 which would make me eligible to just do year 12 this time.

What do you guys think?

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
some of year11 did count towards the UAI years ago. well brizza2ndtime if your determined enough and believe you can achieve the UAI you want then yeah go for it ..

Brizza2ndtime

HSC
I did the prelim in 2002 and the hsc in 2003.

Would've prelim counted towards a UAI back then?

omar273

Oscarwatcher
HSC
no, Yr 11 marks do not count toward your UAI. However, in the Mathematics courses, i think it's something like 30% of the exam tests Preliminary material so don't forget that

jane_86

HSC
marks from prelim courses do not count at all.

however, most schools begin hsc assessments in term 4 of year 11- these will eventually count towards your uai

have you considered other methods of getting into uni rather than repeating the hsc?

some uni's offer non-award courses that are a lot easier to get into, and if you do well in them they may let you enter a degree and some of the courses may even be credited towards it so you don't waste as much time. sometimes there are tafe courses you can do that will also give u advanced standing to get into uni.

also, depending on what degree you want to do and where you want to do it, sometimes they let you in if you have experience in the area.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
jane_86 said:
however, most schools begin hsc assessments in term 4 of year 11- these will eventually count towards your uai
Year 11 is only 3 terms long and so Term 4 is actually the start of your HSC (year 12) - just to clear that up. If year 11 did count towards UAI some people's UAI would be lacking.

To the original poster what about other options you have been out of school for 2+ years isn't there other qualifications you have or are working towards that you could use to get into uni?

Brizza2ndtime

HSC
Thanks for your replies again.

I have looked at alternative entry methods of getting into University which may be suitable but I am sort of more determined to re-do the hsc and get at least a reasonable mark (at least good enough to get into uni), if not a great mark, as the marks in my 2003 HSC were dismal. If I did an alternative entry course, it wouldn't be as personally satisfying as re-doing the HSC properly, if you know what I mean.

disillusive

HSC
I was of the opinion that to complete the HSC everyone must do prelims. So I'd say you'd have no choice- you'd have to do yr 11 + 12 to get a UAI. Unless you go to TAFE and do the HSC there in 1 year. But I could be wrong.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Kid.@dmin said:
Year 11 is only 3 terms long and so Term 4 is actually the start of your HSC (year 12) - just to clear that up. If year 11 did count towards UAI some people's UAI would be lacking.

To the original poster what about other options you have been out of school for 2+ years isn't there other qualifications you have or are working towards that you could use to get into uni?
it did count before though. i think it was about 30% of the prelim course? but that was a LONG time ago.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Brizza2ndtime - if you are doing a limited UAI you don't really need to worry about the year 11 stuff. While a prelim assessment can count for some courses(I had one myself - only counted 15% though) it won't count across two different sittings of the HSC. So you will be starting fresh.

What I am unsure of though, is if you are still eligible for a Limited UAI since you've only done your HSC a few years ago as a rollback period of five years allows you to accumulate scores...sitting a HSC subject now would be more akin to Pathways than Limited UAI. And since Limited UAI only allows a max of nine units your accumulation would disqualify you - unless you are willing to attempt a full year 12 it would probably be easier to use alternate entry methods.

Last edited:

Brizza2ndtime

HSC
I had no idea that my previous year 12 in 2003 would have any effect on doing the HSC now and getting a Limited UAI.

I was of the opionon that with a Limited UAI, you can't accumulate it and you have to sit the end of year HSC exams at the same time.

I didn't know that if you had more than 9 units of study over a 5 year period, you would be ineligible for a Limited UAI as I have read reference to people receiving both a standard UAI and a Limited UAI? Anyone know?

A l

HSC
N/A
disillusive said:
I was of the opinion that to complete the HSC everyone must do prelims. So I'd say you'd have no choice- you'd have to do yr 11 + 12 to get a UAI.
However, in this person's case, he has already completed the Preliminary and HSC course and wishes to repeat the HSC course with the same subjects (I assume). If that is the case, he has already met the requirements of Preliminary course in 2002 and thus can repeat the HSC course only if he wishes to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)