does ur school rank really affect ur mark? (1 Viewer)

lilredelmo

HSC
SORRY!!!!

Wow St marys usually easy to get into..just answer the questions how you know they want them answered!!
Penrith selective but for motivated students there is sometimes a spot!
Bit late now though!!
And I am proof that not all students at academic schools achieve high results:D You can do it wherever you are!

HSC
suzlee said:
So all this rather scenic situation was for "some fun"... right :D

If it was true - your 6 hours of study every day for SC or whatever it was - I'm sorry that you feel so bad about it.. :( I hope you get over it soon.
dude it was 6 hours of sleep not study!

i dont regret studying. i like studying. in fact right now im making notes from a physics text book.:D

lionking1191

HSC
digimonstudent said:
stop calling me digimon its digimonstudent!
oO

digimonstudent said:
CORRECT! thats the point of this thread to see if u all can keep up with me babbling. i was bored after all my study so i wanted some fun. i dont really care that much bout SC. in fact i think i actually do know now y my marks were so low but hey that reason is highly subjective n none of u will probably believe it.
lol: the world is now a happier place.

digimonstudent said:
dude it was 6 hours of sleep not study!

i dont regret studying. i like studying. in fact right now im making notes from a physics text book.:D
wait. u just finished y10. why are you making notes for phys. (i assume its prelim)

HSC
lionking1191 said:
oO

lol: the world is now a happier place.

wait. u just finished y10. why are you making notes for phys. (i assume its prelim)
cause i love studying and i'm hoping to cover the entire prelim course during the hols so i can finish the hsc course in yr 11!

HSC
Nope, school rank has no affect on marks.

But your rank within your cohort + your external mark will both affect your final mark.

:)

HSC
ConquerDiscover said:
Nope, school rank has no affect on marks.

But your rank within your cohort + your external mark will both affect your final mark.

:)
ur a bit late lol :spin:

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
digimonstudent, you should move interstate so that you wouldn't experience this whole BOS 'discrimination' thing =)

lionking1191

HSC
Deltan said:
digimonstudent, you should move interstate so that you wouldn't experience this whole BOS 'discrimination' thing =)
go to queensland...there's no external exams...lol

georgefren

HSC
Good god. Firstly, our school treats the SC as a joke. It is ridiculously easy and you should be getting 90+ without any effort. The HSC is much much harder to do well in because it is so much more specific, which means you have to study more in order to succeed.

And secondly, the BOS does NOT scale SC marks. It doesn't even scale HSC marks. Only the UAC scales those marks. The BOS has no role in scaling anything, and especially not the SC.

For god's sakes, the SC is just purely the marks you get in the exam and thats it. There's no conspiracy ...

lionking1191

HSC
georgefren said:
Good god. Firstly, our school treats the SC as a joke. It is ridiculously easy and you should be getting 90+ without any effort. The HSC is much much harder to do well in because it is so much more specific, which means you have to study more in order to succeed.

And secondly, the BOS does NOT scale SC marks. It doesn't even scale HSC marks. Only the UAC scales those marks. The BOS has no role in scaling anything, and especially not the SC.

For god's sakes, the SC is just purely the marks you get in the exam and thats it. There's no conspiracy ...
not scaled, but moderated.

otherwise, yeah, what he said..

lsdpoon1337

HSC
Yes, school ranking does affect your HSC marks to some degree.

This is because at higher ranked schools, the spread of the marks in the external exam marks are more likely to be very close together on the high end range (band 6's) . The more closer the marks are on the high end, the more moderation or internal scaling that each student gets, provided that you are in that range. This is because that fact that if alot of students from the same school are getting high external marks that are close together, this would suggest that that particular school is getting marked harder for their internals and would therfore be moderated or scaled more than a lower ranked school. This is why many teachers, especially at academic schools, stress of importance that students should work together more and help each other after the trials as the individual ranks have already been set and helping each other would ensure the marks are closer and higher in the external exam.

Hope that made sense, lol

lionking1191

HSC
lsdpoon1337 said:
Yes, school ranking does affect your HSC marks to some degree.

This is because at higher ranked schools, the spread of the marks in the external exam marks are more likely to be very close together on the high end range (band 6's) . The more closer the marks are on the high end, the more moderation or internal scaling that each student gets, provided that you are in that range. This is because that fact that if alot of students from the same school are getting high external marks that are close together, this would suggest that that particular school is getting marked harder for their internals and would therfore be moderated or scaled more than a lower ranked school. This is why many teachers, especially at academic schools, stress of importance that students should work together more and help each other after the trials as the individual ranks have already been set and helping each other would ensure the marks are closer and higher in the external exam.

Hope that made sense, lol
what? where did you hear that from?. high ranking schools only give you more security if you 'stuff up' where you internal mark is unlikely to show much fluctuation.

close ranks do not get 'scaled more.' if you are on the same rank it means the pool of people sitting the hsc who's on the same rank will get their total marks divided/no. of people as their internal mark, and in essence a lot of people will receive the same internal mark so those who do really well in the hsc have the opportunity to significantly boost their marks. our english department does this (submit a lot of close ranks), or so i was told.

TBK11

HSC
tommykins said:
YOUR.SCHOOL.DOES.NOT.EFFECT.YOUR.UAI.OR.MARK.

You get what you deserve.
lol agreed

suzlee said:
New posters - I think we came to the point that digimon's theory wasn't right...
saved 9 pages of reading, so can someone tell me what the effin hell was the point of this thread was it for fun or was he being serious?

Last edited:

suzlee

HSC
TBK11 said:
lol agreed

saved 9 pages of reading, so can someone tell me what the effin hell was the point of this thread ta :)
My theory is that digimonstudent is very much upset over his SC results and had some sort of temporary anger/remorse release ... he wanted to do that on bored of studies.

TBK11

HSC
ah kk a note to pokemonstudent if you get a mark and your not happy with it blame no1 but yourself :) red it somewhere lol

spence

HSC
digimonstudent said:
yah well....... y does the BOS always send bad teachers to low ranked schools? i have teachers who got uais in mid 30s in my school. i also got teachers who never did hsc or sc. i bet all the teachers in ur school r smart aint they?
Do you really think there is any correlation between UAI and teaching ability?

ilwkh

HSC
no way. My school is the fourth lowest in NSW and i got a UAI of 91

georgefren

HSC
I'm willing to claim we have the best teachers in NSW, woo! But apart from sounding good and meaning it costs a lot of money to go to, it doesn't really help that much, we still get beaten by Ruse ect every year. So its the intelligence and workload of the students that makes the UAI, not the teachers.

dp624

HSC
georgefren said:
I'm willing to claim we have the best teachers in NSW, woo! But apart from sounding good and meaning it costs a lot of money to go to, it doesn't really help that much, we still get beaten by Ruse ect every year. So its the intelligence and workload of the students that makes the UAI, not the teachers.
Yes i agree. I might have like grammar too if i went there instead of ruse.
btw, what's the % of 'deadbeats' at grammar?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)