does this equal "screwed"? (1 Viewer)

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
my art class consists of around 12 or 15 people. only around 4 of us have any real ability in terms of prac and theory and at the moment my friend and i are coming equal first.
my main concern is , well basically my teacher just doesn't teach us she goes " ok guys, prac today" then grabs her keys and walks out. comes back in a little later "anyone need anything from the storeroom?" she sorts that out then sits around or leaves again. or sorts through yr 7 work. if we're lucky she might call us up to discuss our progress but she doesn't really have anything super constructive to say. our theory lessons are dead boring "here's the overhead copy it down while i read it out to you" and are fairly useless seeing as i'm into contemporary art so i just end up discussing the artists i've studied in my exams.
what im saying is, even though im coming first at school will my teacher's lack of teaching and the fact that the majority of the class is barely passing, put me at a disadvantage come exam and BOW marking time?

frantelle

HSC
WOW your class sounds EXACTLY like mine.. are you sure youre not in my class? im really worried too because our teachr doesnt give us any motivation.. i know everyone wants to do well but we just get into a really bad state of mind with our teacher and just dont want to try....
i personally want to get a good mark in art because i know i can... dont worry about your teacher in the end it just comes down to you and how much work you put in.. because art is a very do it yourself subject.. think of it as good.. you have a lot of freedom :)

jazzmuzik

HSC
frantelle said:
WOW your class sounds EXACTLY like mine.. are you sure youre not in my class? im really worried too because our teachr doesnt give us any motivation.. i know everyone wants to do well but we just get into a really bad state of mind with our teacher and just dont want to try....
i personally want to get a good mark in art because i know i can... dont worry about your teacher in the end it just comes down to you and how much work you put in.. because art is a very do it yourself subject.. think of it as good.. you have a lot of freedom :)
Me Too!

The structure of your lessons sound exactly the same as my art class (we have 8 ppl) I am still learning heaps though... i guess its a bit different cause our teacher talks through the overheads clearly and wanders around involved in our artworks..

good luck with it :)

biggie walls

HSC
if ur coming first there should be little if any effect on ur marks at all... BUT you'll still have to do well yourself compared to the rest of the state. my advice is to ask other art teachers/past+present hsc art students/artists/knowledgeable people for continual critique of your body of work as it progresses...

as for the theory exam, if you want to focus on contemporary art and u know quite well the work of about 5 contemporary artists, you should be fine for the essay. for section 1 make sure u know your frames really well and do lots of past hsc paper questions and try get ur art teacher or another one that will give better feedback to mark them...

goodluck!

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
thanks for the feedback guys! yeah i came second in the half yearlies (got beaten by 2 marks) but get this, we have 12 people and only 5 people passed, 3 of us got marks in the 80s 2 in the 70s and the rest failed. they marked pretty hard and we had good feedback so at least that was helpful.
i've been asking friends from other schools for help regarding technique and putting work on deviantart so that other art type people can have a look and give me tips.
hey frantelle do you go to MFHS?

bethann

HSC
wow no its lik u r talkin bout my class!!i think its universal:worried:

brodinatorama

HSC
Haha, i think its pretty much universal. I have 3 art teachers, 2 for theory one for prac(unless we have tests/case study comming up then shes a theory teacher too). And every teacher tells us something completly different. How are we sposed to know what to use? If we use something one teacher says, write it in a case study, and then one of the otehr teachers mark it, we get a shit grade. Sooooo annoying!

Our teachers play favorites. My table always gets forgotten because we arent friends with the teachers daughter, we arent heeps loud, and we arent the boys who sit in the corner and do jack. Not very fair. But im so over school. ATM im wagging doing AN ART ESSAY and came on here looking for some notes and stuff. But thers nothing i can use! Kinda irritating, lol.

johnnyJIM

HSC
my teacher is the BEST she helps us out soo much and gives us soo many notes on each movement and such. i feel so lucky:)

morganforrest

HSC
Haha....man doing art must suck....you all sound like you have below par classes....take up a real subject like maths and you wont have to do ur exam on the last day either...

:D

leesha666

HSC
well i am in yr 11 and i have some of the same problems as the rest of you, my class is too big and in the class there are like 4 or 5 of us that actually take art seriously! i am dropping it at the end of term 3 because of lines etc but my teacher tries really hard and prepared good thory lessons but my school is lame, we are not allowed to paint, photograph, draw, sculpt... ANYHTING CONTROVERSIAL! a friend of mine wanted to draw this peice that was about gay and lesbian diversity and acceptance and she was told by my Art teacher, HE supported her but was told by the head of the school and also the head of department that she coulnt sketch it, there are boys who have alot of potential with tagging and street art but my school does not allow it! GAH!!!!!!!

so i feel all your pain!

and eww.. <b>maths?</b>

spoonbender

HSC
Haha, yeah, I got crap marks for the first semester of last year because I wasn't friends with my teacher but then she left school for the second semester and I got 99% on my report (which just proves my point because I am COMPLETELY sucky when it comes to prac) because I was friend's (kinda) with the replacement teacher. When I say "kinda" I mean, I was probably the only one who didn't take the complete piss out of her. And because I'm not friends with my teacher this year, I am completely invisible.

But yeah, I think my class this year is the complete opposite of you guys because everyone in my class owns at art and I'm sucky. Well, that's as far as prac goes but prac is worth more this year. I topped the grade in the exam but it was only worth 10 friggin percent XD

niminous

HSC
And I thought MY class was the only one like this! :eek:

I have like 11 people in my class & im the only 1 who passed the half yearly!! My teacher teaches us NOTHING!!! so screwed 4 the HSC!!! wish it was like history where ur actually taught something.

Is anyone else only staying cuz of ur BOW??

Winged-Villain

HSC
lol im glad my art class isnt the only one with problems.... our art teacher doesnt help the rest of the class. she has her 'model' student who she helps non stop and has done most of her major. she only asks us if we need help on her way to get somthing for the model student. My class is ready to kill her.

*BIRDIE*

RAWR!!!
HSC
poor things, my teacher as much as he helps us is hated cos he pushes us to much, if we think something is finished he'll tell us to go do another layer of paint or whatev, nothing is ever done to him. on the plus side he lets us work on our pracs so much, like even when we have a study or recess or lunch, even before school... i guess my class is pretty lucky. even though theory is dead boring and i usually fall asleep... oops...

also lucky to have a class size of 6

Beeno

HSC
All that everyone has said here sounds exactly like my class.

Don't worry too much coz every class is like that. Well most anyway. Unless like, you're from James Ruse or something. Geez. Freaks right there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)