• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does the devil exist? (1 Viewer)

rantman

HSC
N/A
The "Does God exist?" thread does not address this.

Does the devil exist? Why or why not?

Please state reasons, not simply "I believe this."

Adrian.

HSC
rantman said:
Please state reasons, not simply "I believe this."
Neither side has any evidence other than belief. It's the same with does god exist, you believe what you think is most likley but nobody can prove either way. Having said this I think there is about as much chance of god or the devil existing as there is of Santa Claus existing.

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
It annoys me when people blame bad things on the devil.....like all the war happening on this earth some ppl just blame the devil instead of realising that war is created by human beings.....I believe that the devil is not a real existance but rather the badside of human beings...when u do something evil it is the devil within u....(ever heard of the phrase 'fighting your demons')...it's also like when u do something good or u feel compassion u r feeling God's presence....

God and the devil does not have to be a physical being but rather spirits within us.....

alien

HSC
thaoroxy2001 said:
It annoys me when people blame bad things on the devil.....like all the war happening on this earth some ppl just blame the devil instead of realising that war is created by human beings.....
i think it's worse when people blame that stuff on God

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
alien said:
i think it's worse when people blame that stuff on God
Very true.....like when people say why is God punishing me? I reckon some ppl are lazy and just pray for things although they can easily do those things themselves...and when they don't get it they curse God....I remember this girl I knew who was really religious ...she was preparing for the exam....and she prayed to do well but didn't bother to study much...she'd like 'I'm sure I'll do well' ...then she did pretty badly and started cursing saying ''he never does anything for me even though i go to church everyday and ...blah blah blah....''

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
nope. Assuming there is a God.

Because if there is a God, and God is compassionate, then its not likely he would send anyone to hell for eternity for any sin. So there would be no hell, and given the devil lives in hell, then there is no devil. However, there is probably a purgitory, because if God is compassionate, then the sinners would need some punishment (but it wouldnt be forever) for their sins. And if this is the case, then their might be some devilish thing there. But purgatory cant exist forever.. if the world ends. If the world ends then purgatory wouldnt need to exist forever, and so the devil will have nowhere to go when that day comes. so he must not exist.
lol...nicely handled....

alien

HSC
thaoroxy2001 said:
Very true.....like when people say why is God punishing me? I reckon some ppl are lazy and just pray for things although they can easily do those things themselves...and when they don't get it they curse God....I remember this girl I knew who was really religious ...she was preparing for the exam....and she prayed to do well but didn't bother to study much...she'd like 'I'm sure I'll do well' ...then she did pretty badly and started cursing saying ''he never does anything for me even though i go to church everyday and ...blah blah blah....''
that's rich, she must not understand how it works.

alien

HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:

Because if there is a God, and God is compassionate, then its not likely he would send anyone to hell for eternity for any sin. So there would be no hell, and given the devil lives in hell, then there is no devil. However, there is probably a purgitory, because if God is compassionate, then the sinners would need some punishment (but it wouldnt be forever) for their sins. And if this is the case, then their might be some devilish thing there. But purgatory cant exist forever.. if the world ends. If the world ends then purgatory wouldnt need to exist forever, and so the devil will have nowhere to go when that day comes. so he must not exist.
you should soooo talk to LDS missionaries man.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
thaoroxy2001 said:
That's quite amusing because I can't believe somebody and can be so ignorant.'

I wish people would have the idea that the possibility that they are wrong exists.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Being away from God's presence through acts of evil is enough of a hell without requiring a devil or demonic being

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
thaoroxy2001 said:
It annoys me when people blame bad things on the devil.....like all the war happening on this earth some ppl just blame the devil instead of realising that war is created by human beings.....I believe that the devil is not a real existance but rather the badside of human beings...when u do something evil it is the devil within u....(ever heard of the phrase 'fighting your demons')...it's also like when u do something good or u feel compassion u r feeling God's presence....

God and the devil does not have to be a physical being but rather spirits within us.....
alien said:
i think its worse when they blame it on God"
something i dont understand is that ppl who dont believe in God, can still blame him when things look terrible and use it as a reason not to believe in him "if God was real/loving/etc he wouldnt have done this..." or they will pray to him when they think they r about to die or watever. i think at the core of every human being there is a cry to see if there is somethin more to life, a higher being of some sorts, or a higher purpose.

some ppl find it is easier to believe in a God but not satan, whilst others believe in satan but not God.

but u cant have one without the other, becos they each represent everything the other one doesnt.

Cyan_phoeniX said:

ok assuming there is a God, he loves us so much he gives us free will... which includes deciding whether we wana hang out with him 4 eternity or not. if God took away the free will of all the "baddies" like hitler/stalin etc so that they couldnt do bad stuff that would be good, but the truth is that if he took away the ability to "sin", we'd be cut. becos, by Gods standard, we wouldnt be able to sneak out, or get drunk or have sex with whoever whenever. basically, u choose, hey, either live for God on earth and stick up for him, or dont worry bout it. cool, its ur choice, but if u live for him, he'll let ya live with him 4 eternity. if u dont, thats cool, u wil hav fun here but hey, a deals a deal. so off to hell u shall go.

the devil is real too. and he believes in God, he just doesnt follow him.

Last edited:

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Heres a quote to think about:

"Evil does not exist, or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of God. It is just like darkness and cold, a word that man has created to describe the absence of God. God did not create evil. Evil is not like faith, or love that exist just as does light and heat. Evil is the result of what happens when man does not have God's love present in his heart. It's like the cold that comes when there is no heat or the darkness that comes when there is no light."

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
soha said:
yeah ofkorse the devil exists
what else causes the evil and sinful things that happen in this world?
i dont see this statement as entirely correct...
if the devil is responsible for everything bad does that make God responsibl for everythin good...? if u give credit to the devil 4 the bad, y not give credit to God for the good? or are we actually capable of good and bad ourselves.... eg if we tidy our room or do something "good" is it us or God? if we get in a fight or do somethin "bad" is it us or the devil?

take some credit in ur weaknesses if u insist on takin the credit in ur successes

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
soha said:
yeah ofkorse the devil exists
what else causes the evil and sinful things that happen in this world?
The existence of evil is the very reason for the suggestion of a devil or demonic being. But there are also other views to explain the cause of evil, suggested by various people including:

- free will (we have a choice in how to behave)
- the devil (he is the source of peoples' evil)
- God is imperfect (results in not being able to control some evil in the world)
- inability to comprehend or completely understand morality and rightness from God's perspective, resulting in human constructs of 'good' and 'evil'

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
well.. i believe in the devil
i am muslim..
and we believe in the devil
there is many things that i could go into but i wont
because i dont feel the need to justify myself further more
because i dont want to get into any sort of argument..or huge debate

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
soha said:
well.. i believe in the devil
i am muslim..
and we believe in the devil
there is many things that i could go into but i wont
because i dont feel the need to justify myself further more
because i dont want to get into any sort of argument..or huge debate
Ok well I agree with soha.. in that the devil exists...

however.. what is the devil?
what does he do?
and is he the cause of evil?

the devil was created by God.. and as muslims believe.. when God told the angels to prostrate to adam.. they all did so.. except satan (iblees in arabic).... (this is part of a verse from the Quran)...

Now we believe that the first sin committed againt God was pride and arrogance.. the reason that satan did not prostrate to adam was because he calimed that he was made from fire and adam was made from clay....

anyways.. thats just a very summerised version of the story of sending adam down to earth and satan becoming satan in Surat al baqarah..(chapter 2)

U see the DEVIL can never force us to do anything... everything evil we do is because of ourselves..

however the devil only has the power to do one thing
and that is to whisper into our ears and become a voice in our head...
with time.. the devil attacks us encouraging us to do small sins.. and at times we fall for him... however as we continue to fall for him... the sin merely becomes a desire in our heart...

our desire is even stronger than the devils whisper
in most cases it is our desire that leads us to sin.. as i said the devil can not make u sin.. he can only whisper thoughts into ur ear... it is urself ur own desire that causes u to sin... that is why our religion tells us.. that on judgement day.. when God confronts u and asks why u committed a sin .. it will be ur fault.. and the devil will not be to blame.. saying "the devil made me do it".. will not save u...U r held accountable for ur own sins...

Last edited:

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Any contemporary theologian will tell you that hell does not exist, nor does the devil in a purely physical sense. Where the devil lies is within our conscious thought and judgment. There must be some form of moral and ethical code or else the world would turn to chaos. The perpetuation of the devil and hell in physicality which occured throughout the middle ages in Europe, was merely a physical representation in order to maintain faith within the church.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)