does teacher helpful 2 get highs mark (1 Viewer)

fly away

can anyone tell me that if a student get band 5-6 on HSC exam,
does teacher must be helpful for u 2 get band 5-6?
thanx:confused:
:p

rckl

HSC
hrrmm..... no?
lol
Your point is that your teacher is not helpful enough to get you onto band 5/6 margin?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by fly away
can anyone tell me that if a student get band 5-6 on HSC exam,
does teacher must be helpful for u 2 get band 5-6?
thanx:confused:
:p
I think my teacher helped me to get into band 6. But in the end, you have to do the work. for example, memorising the various techniques, your texts from your stimulus booklet, and more importantly, your prescribed texts.

One more advice for you is that you need to develope into a fast and NEAT writer. This is due to the fact that the ESL examinations are shorter than the Advanced/Standard exams.

You also need to become a crtical listener in order to do well in the Listening exam.

Good luck :)

fly away

cuz my teacher was crap!
she doesn't teach anything during the class time!
i thought it not helpful 4 my english!
i dunt know how can i get a good mark for my ESL exam!
im really upset abt it!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
fly away, in our academic life, we will inevitably encounter teachers like the one you described. While the hard fact is, we can't do anything about it. But what's more important is that YOU, as a student should develope and adapt to self-learning. Go to the Board of Studies website and look up Notes from the Marking centre for ESL, and examine what the markers expect of you. Use your library and search for study guides dedicated to the ESL course. All in all, You are responsible for your own learning process. And it is something you need to get use to in university.

rckl

HSC
that is true Survivor39...

ok..but let assume you just moved to japan... then a teacher gave you a stacks of notes and he/ she doesn't teaches anything..

and you are only able read janpanese a tiny bit

but do you think it would help by doing what you mentioned above?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by rckl

ok..but let assume you just moved to japan... then a teacher gave you a stacks of notes and he/ she doesn't teaches anything..

and you are only able read janpanese a tiny bit

but do you think it would help by doing what you mentioned above?
That's why the Board of Studies introduced the ESL course. The sole purpose of the ESL English course is to help people with weak background and to help them to build a foundation for further education.

In rckl's scenario, to compensate the language difficulty of not knowing Japanese, the education system would have some sort of a fundamental or beginner course for Japnanese anyway, just like what we have here in NSW.

In ESL, the content and the amount of work required are not rigorous within the given time, compared to Advanced and Standard English, but it still requires you to be an active learner, particularly in fly away's case. Really, to do well in ESL, you must look at past exam papers. If you know what they are required of you in the exam, plus the Markers' expectation from the "notes from the marking centre", you'll definitely do well, even without the help of your teacher.

Alternatively, if you really think you cannot possibly learn the course on your own with little or no assistant from your teacher, you can get a tutor. Although I don't recommanded you to do so as tutors only teach you about techniques to answer questions and how to approach exams...not the content of your prescribed text due to diffrerent prescribed texts used by different schools.

As I've mentioned before, be an active learner! I cannot emphasise how important this is. Ask your teacher about anything you don't understand, instead of waiting for her to teach you!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
easier said then done...
but very good advise imo.......LoLz
oh please :rolleyes: :D.....I've finish the ESL course last year.....and I had a crap teacher in some of my courses. Believe me, it can be done.

ae

HSC
"you must look at past exam papers"

does this still applies even if the syllabus is changed?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by ae
"you must look at past exam papers"

does this still applies even if the syllabus is changed?
lol. well, the BOS would have some example papers for you guys in 2004. Just like they have a practice paper for the 2001 New HSC students.

The basic principles will remain the same. They ARE goinging to ask you about language techniques, register...and how these features shape your precribed text...in terms of journey...It's essentially all the same! :D

fly away

but the area of study is different!
we start new topic on journey!
how can we find sample paaper which relate 2 journey????????????????????

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by rckl
Survivor39

answer this question..

would you rather study on your own with an average english on you?

or would you rather study on your own with a low level english on you?

don't you think it would be better if someone give you abit of idea of the homework which can clear the difficulties out of the brain?

and yeah... you PAY the school to learn, you don't pay for the school that doesn't given any help..

what i mean by help is: at least the teacher should explain the tasks, e.g. what is the langugage features and etc...

The point I'm making is not whether someone prefer which levels of english skills to be able to study on your own, the point I'm making is that that is no use banging your head agasint the wall. You teacher is crap, OK! I get it! But what are you going to do about it? Complaining here is definitely not going to help you. All I'm suggesting is that YOU should start researching yourself, regardless of what level of English you have. It is the only way to obtain a good mark without the help of your teacher.

While I agree that it would be useful if you are receiving some assistance on your understanding of English, but you don't have this luxury. This only help you're going to get in by asking questions in class, forcing your teacher to provide at least of a help, no matter how "unhelpful" he/she is to you. Furthermore, this forum is designed for you, make the best use out of it.

This is my final say on this. The advice is there for you to take. You can take it and assimulate it, or you can blindly choose to continue to bag about the teaching style of your teacher.

But good luck with ESL. I empathise with you. But the HSC requires hard work.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by fly away
but the area of study is different!
we start new topic on journey!
how can we find sample paaper which relate 2 journey????????????????????
They will eventually have one on the Board of Studies website. Don't worry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)