Does (or did) anyone do anything for 3u? (1 Viewer)

N

ND

Do most 4u students study for 3u at all? i know that i haven't done anything at home at all for 3u since about April (before this i just used to go ahead from the class). Do you think that studying for 4u is enough? I'm thinking that i'll just do a few past papers on the day before the 3u exam. I am interested to know whether you think that studying 3u helps when you do 4u?

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
with my assesments i only spent the night before on 3 unit. didnt do much on it all year but still did fairly well in the exams. for the hsc ill just focus on the topics im crap at and try to improve.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
You need to study for 3U. Remember, it counts twice as much for you as it does for the other 3U students. Also, there are lots of topics in there (remember, harder 3U could caome from ANY section) ...

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Would just studying harder 3u be sufficient for the 3u exam?

N

ND

Originally posted by McLake
(remember, harder 3U could caome from ANY section) ...
That was kinda my logic as to why you don't need to study it; By doing 4u, you are inevitably doing harder 3u, which means you can do normal 3u?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by ND
That was kinda my logic as to why you don't need to study it; By doing 4u, you are inevitably doing harder 3u, which means you can do normal 3u?
Assuming by Harder 3U you cover ALL topics, then yes ...

N

ND

Originally posted by McLake
Assuming by Harder 3U you cover ALL topics, then yes ...
Would doing all the harder 3u from say '85 + other trials and stuff be sufficient? How hard does the stuff which is generally not included in harder 3u get ? (i.e. compound interest).

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The 'harder 3u' topic in the 4u course tends to gravitate towards some 3u topics more than others.

I'd recommend doing questions 6 and 7 from a number of 3u papers to ensure you've covered everything. I doubt you'll have any trouble with 1-5.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
At sbhs, most ppl found the 3U trials 2 b harder than the 4U trials, so yeh... how does this have anything to do with this topic, i don't know....

SXC_DRAGON_BOY

Been A While
HSC
i studied bout 5 hours of 3 unit maths before i went into the exam room. After finishing it, i was like "i didnt study enough" but to my suprise i got an 80% which i am very happy with. so i have to say it depends on the person you are if you really need to study 3 unit or just do 4 unit maths study. i prefer both just incase. I havnt done harder 3 unit yet in 4 unit maths, though it seems that its more harder than the 4 unit questions itself. especially the circle geometry harder 4 unit questions... but thats my opinion.

sorry if my wording is a little confusing :p (im up at 2:10am and cant sleep)

Excalibur

Sorry to disagree but sumtimes i find its the easy Q's that stuff me up. I think it is essential to study All 3u and 4u if you want an awesome mark. i mean like say you forget a formula (e.g dividing an interval into a given ratio, perpendic. dist or perfect cube thingy's) i just don't think i cud get through the 3u hsc without studing the easy shit, coz speed is everythin in 3u!! But if you can go nuts!!

is a roflcopter
HSC
i think 3unit is way harder than 4unit

is a roflcopter
HSC
its possible

last time
4unit rank 15th
3unit rank 55th

after trials, the diffference would be even greater
so there you go!

kaseita

I studied about equally for 3u and 4u
3u because of the potential careless mistakes, which also helps with 4u
and 4u cause they could ask really tough questions!
I wouldn't suggest neglecting 3u study - unless you are very tight for time. you can easily do well in 3u if you put the effort in, and get those mistakes out of the way. 4u will compensate u with scaling, but 3u won't, to that extent.

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
In all assessment periods this year, 3U has been my last exam which has meant that the only time I devoted to it was the time between my second last exam and the 3U one. In the first 2 assessment periods this meant 1-2 days but for the trials I had a 5 day break, which sounds like a lot but I did waste quite a bit of time and was still very bored with 3U by the end. I will probably have to take Lazarus' advice about just doing questions 6-7 from past 3U papers.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Originally posted by Newbie
its possible

last time
4unit rank 15th
3unit rank 55th

after trials, the diffference would be even greater
so there you go!
another classic paradox, just like the twin paradox..

If you get so good in 4unit, how could you possibly screw up in 3unit? Missing formulas? Or that's prolly because 4u class is smaller than 3u class? :)

is a roflcopter
HSC
well the classes are 110 for 4u and 160 for 3u

theres something wrong with me :(
i dunno what though =/

N

ND

Originally posted by Newbie
well the classes are 110 for 4u and 160 for 3u

theres something wrong with me :(
i dunno what though =/
It doesn't mean that your better at 4u than 3u, it just means that there are a number of people who have a greater difference (compared to you) between their 4u and 3u ability.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)