• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

does love exist. (1 Viewer)

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
a.Limjoco said:
I think that makes it easier, platonic love. Yeah it exists, think about your parents (i'm hoping they don't want you)..
what??? are you trying to agrue it exists or it doesnt???

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
melanieeeee. said:
what??? are you trying to agrue it exists or it doesnt???
er.... No one denies that 'platonic love' or 'romantic love' exists. Some of us just also acknowledge that natural origins of these things.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
but where is the proof that platonic love exist. i havent felt it i wouldnt know.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Zelekey said:
Love is in the dictionary. So that's proof enough for me. There's also "Person with AIDS" defined, at least in the Australian Pocket Oxford Dictionary Fourth Dictionary. So there you have it, people who have AIDS exist.
zomgsh "god" is in the dictionary therefore god exists.

Sammy-Blue

HSC
melanieeeee. said:
zomgsh "god" is in the dictionary therefore god exists.
If enough people believe in the entity of "god" you can't argue it's existence. The people who believe can think of it as they choose, but to those not religious it is simply an idea.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Sammy-Blue said:
If enough people believe in the entity of "god" you can't argue it's existence. The people who believe can think of it as they choose, but to those not religious it is simply an idea.
im not talking about relative truth im talking about absolute truth. popularity =/= absolute truth.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Zelekey said:
God exists in the sense that people believe in him. To me, God is an ideology. I don't believe that exists in any physical sense and I'm probably never going to accept him in my beliefs. But he exists, nonetheless.

This is the same with love. Everything in your body is just chemical reactions and electrical signals. Just because love isn't really tangible doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Er... Well if you want to define god as a belief, then yes, I believe that people have constructed some sort of a notion of God... But tbh, unlike love I don't think people even have a coherent understanding of what they talk about with God, because they place him as necessarily something beyond our comprehension usually - often with apparently contradictory traits.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
ummmm for his physical existance - like i said the gospels can be seen as historical evidence as they where witnesses to jesus christ. this historical evidence claims 3 specific things:
1. that jesus christ existed
2. that he performed miracles
3. that he resurrected
this is supported by archeological study and backed up by the jews who thought his 'magical powers' were evil and confirmed the empty tomb.

some of the questions you (or someone else) brought up went somewhere along the lines of:

why should you believe someone with magical powers as there are magicians in this world today.
its really up to you to believe what you want to believe. these days magicians have some sort of assisting tool which assists in creating the illusion, i dont think they had these tools back then. also i think that its not the magical powers alone. its just a part of the broader story.

couldnt someone just have moved his body?
maybe but there is no proof/ evidence to suggest this. if you find some me show me. but until then i would say that there is a burdon of proof.

why isnt there more miracles happening in this world?
tbh i have no idea. but that really isnt evidence for against the existance of god. i think somewhere in the does god exist thread of an experiment showing the relationship of praying and healing. noting that observations arent really designed to show truth but more the probability of something occuring.

i guess its not just the one particular thing which does it for me. its the pieces of the puzzles that fits all together.

this isnt really proof of his physical existance but i would just like to say that:
1. things only ever exist if they have some sort of 'effect'.
2. god has an effect. that is why catholics seek out to do good works.
C. god exists.

to make this relevant to this thread:
2. love has an effect.
C. love exists.

and yes i have a spiritual connection with him thats how i know he exists.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
ummmm for his physical existance - like i said the gospels can be seen as historical evidence as they where witnesses to jesus christ.
We have this same sort of historical evidence for all sorts of shit happening. If someone wants to make as extraordinary claim as "blah blah has magic powers", something which we simply have never seen but have seen many attempts at bullshittery in regard to it... I require MUCH better evidence than what you're offering up.

why should you believe someone with magical powers as there are magicians in this world today.
its really up to you to believe what you want to believe. these days magicians have some sort of assisting tool which assists in creating the illusion, i dont think they had these tools back then. also i think that its not the magical powers alone. its just a part of the broader story.
lol there are a lot of illusions for which I do not need any tool at all.

couldnt someone just have moved his body?
maybe but there is no proof/ evidence to suggest this. if you find some me show me. but until then i would say that there is a burdon of proof.
Ockham's razor - Simplest explanation is usually the best. It is a simpler explanation to suggest there was some secret society which had replaced jesus with a body double or something... than that magic did it.

why isnt there more miracles happening in this world?
tbh i have no idea. but that really isnt evidence for against the existance of god. i think somewhere in the does god exist thread of an experiment showing the relationship of praying and healing. noting that observations arent really designed to show truth but more the probability of something occuring.
That experiment's methodology was likely flawed in some way... There have been others which has shown prayer to have no effect, I don't have the time to go through every bogus experiment someone can put forth.

i guess its not just the one particular thing which does it for me. its the pieces of the puzzles that fits all together.
All the reasons you've offered up so far are absolute trash and show to me that you're either lying to yourself, trying to make yourself feel better or are simply not very clever.

this isnt really proof of his physical existance but i would just like to say that:
2. god has an effect. that is why catholics seek out to do good works.
C. god exists.
2. cupid has an effect. that is why people do good things for those they love.
C. cupid exists.

2. xenu has an effect. that is why people get their thetans cleared by scientology.
C. xenu exists.

to make this relevant to this thread:
2. love has an effect.
C. love exists.
Your argument wasn't thought out at all... probably one of the worst arguments I've seen on this website even by trolls. There have been many posters who have explained love to you, however you want to categorise it, but you keep on insisting that it's something else. This is not what someone who is a 'seeker of truth' does.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Enteebee said:
We have this same sort of historical evidence for all sorts of shit happening. If someone wants to make as extraordinary claim as "blah blah has magic powers", something which we simply have never seen but have seen many attempts at bullshittery in regard to it... I require MUCH better evidence than what you're offering up.
yes but it wasnt just one person claiming the magical powers.

lol there are a lot of illusions for which I do not need any tool at all.
like i said its just part of the bigger picture.

Ockham's razor - Simplest explanation is usually the best. It is a simpler explanation to suggest there was some secret society which had replaced jesus with a body double or something... than that magic did it.
*sigh* simplest explanation =/= truth. if jesus has been moved it is possible to physically prove or at least give evidence that this happened as there would be nothing supernatural about this. if it was supernatual then it would be physically impossible to prove or disprove that it has happened. and since it is only possible to prove otherwise i ask that you have some sort of proof or evidence that would allow to draw this conclusion.

That experiment's methodology was likely flawed in some way... There have been others which has shown prayer to have no effect, I don't have the time to go through every bogus experiment someone can put forth.
like all experiments there is relatism involved. as we are dealing with probability and not all probability can be 100%.

All the reasons you've offered up so far are absolute trash and show to me that you're either lying to yourself, trying to make yourself feel better or are simply not very clever.
i dont think that i am lying to myself. its kind of hard to describe like someone who is experiencing platonic love.

2. cupid has an effect. that is why people do good things for those they love.
C. cupid exists.

2. xenu has an effect. that is why people get their thetans cleared by scientology.
C. xenu exists.

Your argument wasn't thought out at all... probably one of the worst arguments I've seen on this website even by trolls. There have been many posters who have explained love to you, however you want to categorise it, but you keep on insisting that it's something else. This is not what someone who is a 'seeker of truth' does.
like i said it doesnt prove physical existance of god. the point that i was making is that god exists through the acts that we do. even though it is mentally or whatever you would like it it is the the work of god that we do god works.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
yes but it wasnt just one person claiming the magical powers.
Neither are other examples.

like i said its just part of the bigger picture.
A stupid part which leads to a stupid overall picture if this is the sort of stuff you deem credible.

*sigh* simplest explanation =/= truth.
If you're not willing to accept the simplest explanation given the information we have at hand and instead think it's fine to imagine incredibly complex scenarios as being equally likely then go ahead, but it makes you seem like a dogmatic zealot.

if jesus has been moved it is possible to physically prove or at least give evidence that this happened as there would be nothing supernatural about this. if it was supernatual then it would be physically impossible to prove or disprove that it has happened. and since it is only possible to prove otherwise i ask that you have some sort of proof or evidence that would allow to draw this conclusion.
-_-

like all experiments there is relatism involved. as we are dealing with probability and not all probability can be 100%.
relatism? No, the claim I'm making is that there's probably something wrong with the methodology.

i dont think that i am lying to myself. its kind of hard to describe like someone who is experiencing platonic love.
Your constant denial that you have been supplied with explanations for these things is really tiresome. Next you'll be talking about the qualia of 'redness' or some garbage and asking me to prove that it exists.

like i said it doesnt prove physical existance of god. the point that i was making is that god exists through the acts that we do. even though it is mentally or whatever you would like it it is the the work of god that we do god works.
and that point was shown to be absolutely tarded as I showed that other make-believe beliefs can lead to effects.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
"-_-"

its pretty stupid to believe something where there is no evidence huh?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
"-_-"

its pretty stupid to believe something where there is no evidence huh?
Hahahahahaha if I told you... 2 thousand years ago there was a shop owner who couldn't find his keys and one hypothesis was that he misplaced them and the other was that fairies took them, which do you think is better? I think it makes sense, given even 0 evidence, to believe the most simple hypothesis you can imagine is more likely than a more complex one.

E

Empyrean444

melanieeeee. said:
ummmm for his physical existance - like i said the gospels can be seen as historical evidence as they where witnesses to jesus christ. this historical evidence claims 3 specific things:
1. that jesus christ existed
2. that he performed miracles
3. that he resurrected
this is supported by archeological study and backed up by the jews who thought his 'magical powers' were evil and confirmed the empty tomb.
Archaeological study proves that it is likely that a man called Jesus existed. It doesn't proof miracles or an ascension into Heaven. This is not proven. Its reliability is hindered by the fact that the Gospels are very biased, and also have special interests at heart. Naturally, the authors are claiming that Jesus is the one true God. Just because they claim something doesn't make it something which can be relied upon. They are not professional historians who are trying to tell the truth; they are evangelists trying to spread/ promote their own opinion (ie that God is real and Jesus was his son etc). Reliability is not a yes/no answer. Some parts may be reliable, whilst others not so reliable. In this instance, the Bible is a reliable representation of the views and perspective of the Gospel authors. It is not a relaible account of 'Jesus went up to Heaven'. We do not in fact know that the Gospel authors were eye witnesses; we have to take their (and other possible Biblical authors') word(s) for it. COnsidering the biased nature of the Bible (ie the motive of evangelism amongst others) we can not take this at face value. It doesn't prove anything divine.

I think you overestimate the reliablility of the Bible in general.

And what of these Jews who claim Jesus' "magical powers"? Proof please.

ASNSWR127

HSC
aLexTasyy said:
im a late bloomer... in my opinion love DOES NOT exist...only mindless people having sex to escape the reality of their meaningless consumer driven lives
lol...

Such cynicism...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)