• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does graduating with D/HD average matter? (1 Viewer)

konkzz

HSC
I mean, does it increase your employment opportunities when you graduate or does it help you get into a summer program or help you get a scholarship?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I mean, does it increase your employment opportunities when you graduate or does it help you get into a summer program or help you get a scholarship?
Yes. Most firms looking for graduates prefer candidates with good academic results in fact some even specify a certain GPA/WAM as a minimum requirement to qualify. Despite this, it is not the be all end all, other factors such as work experience and extra-curricular activities are important. However, do keep in mind that if you don't have a good academic record you're already at a disadvantage to those who have the same degree as you...

Last edited:

sinophile3

HSC
My brother said that after your first job nobody really cares.

I'd keep a balance between study and ECs and work experience

witide

HSC
a wise man once said to me: "Ps get degrees, Cs get jobs, Ds get high paying jobs, and HDs get whatever the hell they want."

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
tbh if you have all HDs, don't be too keen to show it off to an employer, I'd probably avoid shoing them unless u have to

they'll automatically assume ur a massive nerd and lack communication skills, etc.

izzy88

HSC
tbh if you have all HDs, don't be too keen to show it off to an employer, I'd probably avoid shoing them unless u have to

they'll automatically assume ur a massive nerd and lack communication skills, etc.
i would never avoid showing i have HDs to an employer where the degree i've done is relevant to the job. Your interview will show you have communication skills, and your co-curricular activities show you don't spend all your time studying. It's just another thing in your favour, something that may differentiate you from other candidates- don't hide it!
(of course, i don't have all HDs, so perhaps i want to show off the ones i do have :p)

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
i would never avoid showing i have HDs to an employer where the degree i've done is relevant to the job. Your interview will show you have communication skills, and your co-curricular activities show you don't spend all your time studying. It's just another thing in your favour, something that may differentiate you from other candidates- don't hide it!
(of course, i don't have all HDs, so perhaps i want to show off the ones i do have :p)
You're being interviewed by some dickhead HR middle-management type who most likely pissed their way thru uni with Ps n Cs

there'll always be some assumptions made when they see high marks

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

Errr...no. Most HR people I've met said they would be impressed as it would spark curiosity and would continue to read further about any other things on the resume before making the decision. Keep in mind particularly in big firms, many graduates that are hired have HD averages as well as top class communication skills, hence they would make no such assumptions because there are plenty people that have been hired that have both all HDs and top-notch people skills i.e. all rounded people

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)