Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters
HSC
moll. said:
What are you talking about here?
I was talking about them going to purgatory/animal hell once they die. Of natural causes or otherwise.
I'm confused.
My brain's fried.
But animals don't go to hell.

& there's no purgatory in my religion, unless you're thinking of hell; where it means a person goes there forever or temporarily.

Besides the fact that this just sounds like a supernatural version of 'eye-for-an-eye', didn't you say that they have a different set of rules to humans?
Animals are resurrected, they all get their little 'punishments' then are turned into dust. In heaven there are animals but not the same type. So the ones that exist now do come back for their 'little afterlife'.

Humans are resurrected, and go to heaven or hell. Animals don't have the same 'punishments/rewards'.

nikolas said:
We have no good reason to believe a God exists.
And you have a good reason to believe god doesn't exist?

HSC
And you have a good reason to believe god doesn't exist?
You can't prove a negative. Yeah, most of these religions and the like are scrabblings of false nonsense put together by ignorant peasants thousands of years ago. They have no relevance to reality and no real proof to back them up.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
city.sk said:
rofl. you think you are smart than Albert Einstein or Isaac Newton? let me give you some example about what they said about god.
“This most beautiful system [The Universe] could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.” - isaac newton
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the god" - albert einstein
please, by using your little knowledge cannot find god, blind leads the blinds. sigh
Of course Newton was a Christian, he would've been killed if he wasn't.
And Einstein was actually an atheist, or at the very least an agnostic. His frequents references to god most likely occurred because he grew up in a heavily Christian society and was influenced as such. I mention God all that time in my everyday speech. Does't mean i'm Christian. I'm just making a point.
Go troll someplace else. Run along now.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
$hiftyIceQueen said:
But animals don't go to hell.

& there's no purgatory in my religion, unless you're thinking of hell; where it means a person goes there forever or temporarily.
I was referring to purgatory as being like the toned down version of hell for animals. Similarly, i said that they go to "animal hell" not our hell. Because after all, it was you who said:
which is why they get a different form of an after life. Meaning, they still get one, but not the same as ours.
That screams "mini-hell/mini-heaven" to me.
And there is purgatory in your religion, cos the Catholics believe in it, and they're Christian, and i'm assuming you are too. Just cos you don't ascribe to it, doesn't mean it's not a belief.

$hiftyIceQueen said:
Animals are resurrected, they all get their little 'punishments' then are turned into dust. In heaven there are animals but not the same type. So the ones that exist now do come back for their 'little afterlife'.

Humans are resurrected, and go to heaven or hell. Animals don't have the same 'punishments/rewards'.
Wait.
So humans get resurrected too?!
You mean Jesus was just a normal guy?!
And there are zombies walking the streets?!
ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!

See my above quotation of your former argument.
And could you just clearly state, in no uncertain terms, exactly what it is you believe happens to animals after they die?

HSC
youBROKEmyLIFE said:
You can't prove a negative. Yeah, most of these religions and the like are scrabblings of false nonsense put together by ignorant peasants thousands of years ago. They have no relevance to reality and no real proof to back them up.
So how do you think the world/everything that exists now, was created?

I've only studied evolution in terms of humans and animals, i understand that but if that was true then how was the first animal made? Same with everything else on earth.

Is everything made because of a scientific theory/fact?

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
i didnt think anything was said about animals when they die (does it?)
We as a human race were created separately from animals, we were made "in the image of god". i was always under the impression we were under higher esteem than theanimals in the eyes of god, because he gave us "a dominon over them"

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
$hiftyIceQueen said:
So how do you think the world/everything that exists now, was created?

I've only studied evolution in terms of humans and animals, i understand that but if that was true then how was the first animal made? Same with everything else on earth.

Scientific theory/fact doesn't make shit. It just works out what happened/will happen.
The creation of the universe, earth and life are deep topics. You sure you want to spend the next 100 posts arguing about such things? Cos here, the atheists can use science to back up their answers. At least if you stay with theological philosophy no one can reply with a fact.

HSC
$hiftyIceQueen said:
I think you have the order around the wrong way. I don't see how your argument validates your Islamic faith but whatever. Science is used to explain reality. There is no evidence or proof for the supernatural and any claims of it have been debunked thoroughly.

Amino Acids (Building blocks for proteins -> Building blocks for life) can be created from nothing in solution, just as they could have naturally formed on earth. Evolution is a fairly straightforward concept: Proteins -> unicellular life forms [they organise] -> multicellular -> Animals; adapting based on their environment and genetic mutations.

It's a very simple concept. There's just no proof or evidence to believe any of the main religious traditions.

Exists/Created from star dust compressing into a planet over millions of years. IN regards to the formation of the universe, the best possible theory is the big bang, based on the evidence we currently have. In regards to before time = 0, I don't have any idea, but neither do you. My current answers are based on observation, peer-review and evidence. Yours are based on the screeds of superstitious people from thousands of years ago.

I'll go with mine.

dodgyv

CEO
HSC
REligion si easilty the greatest bullshit story ever told, think about it. Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!
But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money!
(George Carlin)

If you're still not convinced after reading that fucking brilliant extract, check out more of the facts here.

I rest my case.

Leo 100

HSC
N/A
OMG
have you seen what katie tully has done to you all
get over the freaking animals!!!!

hey moll. we meet again :uhhuh:

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
dodgyv said:
REligion si easilty the greatest bullshit story ever told, think about it. Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!
But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money!
(George Carlin)

If you're still not convinced after reading that fucking brilliant extract, check out more of the facts here.

I rest my case.
This is a theological argument. Never rest your case.
And there are actually 613 commandments for the Jews. Moses had a rule fetish.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Leo 100 said:
OMG
have you seen what katie tully has done to you all
get over the freaking animals!!!!

hey moll. we meet again :uhhuh:
"I thought you were dead! I saw you fall!
How did you survive?!
Don't worry though. This time it truly will be your last..."

I watch too many Bond movies.

Leo 100

HSC
N/A
moll. said:
"I thought you were dead! I saw you fall!
How did you survive?!
Don't worry though. This time it truly will be your last..."

I watch too many Bond movies.

wow you are scary
i simply was nice, with a good morning gesture... unless you are saying i am an angel... in that case.........
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

HSC
moll. said:
I was referring to purgatory as being like the toned down version of hell for animals. Similarly, i said that they go to "animal hell" not our hell. Because after all, it was you who said:

That screams "mini-hell/mini-heaven" to me.
And there is purgatory in your religion, cos the Catholics believe in it, and they're Christian, and i'm assuming you are too. Just cos you don't ascribe to it, doesn't mean it's not a belief.
Okay, my bad. And I'm Muslim not Christian.

See my above quotation of your former argument.
And could you just clearly state, in no uncertain terms, exactly what it is you believe happens to animals after they die?
Animals are brought back to life, just like humans, they get dealt their punishments. So as i said before if animal A hits animal B, and animal B doesn't hit it back. Then in the after life animal B gets the chance to hit animal A back.

After all of them are 'compensated', they turn into dust and cease to exist.

clicky, i think that explains it better.

I don't really get the last bit, but yeah thats what happens according to my religion.

youBROKEmyLIFE said:
I think you have the order around the wrong way. I don't see how your argument validates your Islamic faith but whatever. Science is used to explain reality. There is no evidence or proof for the supernatural and any claims of it have been debunked thoroughly.

Amino Acids (Building blocks for proteins -> Building blocks for life) can be created from nothing in solution, just as they could have naturally formed on earth. Evolution is a fairly straightforward concept: Proteins -> unicellular life forms [they organise] -> multicellular -> Animals; adapting based on their environment and genetic mutations.

It's a very simple concept. There's just no proof or evidence to believe any of the main religious traditions.

Exists/Created from star dust compressing into a planet over millions of years. IN regards to the formation of the universe, the best possible theory is the big bang, based on the evidence we currently have. In regards to before time = 0, I don't have any idea, but neither do you. My current answers are based on observation, peer-review and evidence. Yours are based on the screeds of superstitious people from thousands of years ago.

I'll go with mine.
Yeah, that does sound&look more reliable; but that's just how everything was made, what about after you die? It's just 'the end' nothing happens?

BTW i actually do believe the whole universe was created by a heap of atoms, & believe in evolution just not when it comes to 'humans evolved from apes' because that seems too complicated and i don't really get the 'some elolved and others still remain the same'.

And I'm not really arguing anyones beliefs, im just trying to figure out what others believe since i only know the Christian&Muslim POV on the whole thing.

I only believe in my religion and god because i think there's an afterlife, and according to pretty much everything scientific i've heard, there is no afterlife.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Yeah, that does sound&look more reliable; but that's just how everything was made, what about after you die? It's just 'the end' nothing happens?
Well what happens in other points of time where our physical brain lets us down and we descend into unconsciousness? You ever been knocked out or had surgery or anything? I imagine it's quite so like that.

BTW this does really suck.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
$hiftyIceQueen said:
Yes. Your brain dies, and thus what made you "you" - your consciousness as a function of your brain function - ceases to exist.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
By the way I find it interesting that you say you believe in religion because you believe in an afterlife... What do you have to offer up as evidence for the afterlife (you can't use religion otherwise you're being circular) other than hopeful anecdotes like "it'd fucking suck if this is all there is :|" ? If your reasons for believing in the afterlife are just hopeful musings then as that's why you believe in your religion this gives me some vindication for my view that religion isn't something most people believe in, just something they hope is true.

HSC
A fairly obvious aspect of consciousness being related entirely to neural activity is that brain damage impairs how you think, feel and react to reality. I'm sorry to say but there's nothing really after this life, my main man.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Leo 100 said:
wow you are scary
i simply was nice, with a good morning gesture... unless you are saying i am an angel... in that case.........
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
No, it was just that you said "we meet again", as in "Well Mr Bond, it would appear that we meet again... Muahahaha"

Like i said, too many Bond movies.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Enteebee said:
By the way I find it interesting that you say you believe in religion because you believe in an afterlife... What do you have to offer up as evidence for the afterlife (you can't use religion otherwise you're being circular) other than hopeful anecdotes like "it'd fucking suck if this is all there is :|" ? If your reasons for believing in the afterlife are just hopeful musings then as that's why you believe in your religion this gives me some vindication for my view that religion isn't something most people believe in, just something they hope is true.
You should read my previous post as to a brief history of the origins of religion and what i believe to be the rationale behind it.
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showpost.php?p=3835434&postcount=11221

By the way, your avatar is creepy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)