Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
Shadose said:
If you believe in him, he exists.

If you don't, he doesn't exist.

As simple as that.
Whoa dawg it's like Small Gods but in a post. I've kinda thought something along those lines for a while and whilst it seems like utter bullshit, think of all the dead gods that humans have left by the wayside!

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
I've seen this discussed at length on another forum http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=178993 and I'm led to believe that you can't really say they're created from 'nothing'.
Quantum fluctuations are difficult to categorise in such a situation. Just like quantum entanglement, it fucks with our current models. I mean dude, how quantum entanglement HOW?! Instantaneous information transfer wtfs. Mindcrazying.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Shadose said:

As simple as that.
If I have the power to create/destroy God by the whims of my mind surely it is I WHO ARE'd GOD!!!!1111111

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Kwayera said:
I concur with Enteebee here. Virtual particles in quantum theory can't really be cited as proof of something coming from nothing. (1) as NTB's link shows, we aren't really dealing with a theoretical 'nothing' and (2) even if we were there are reasonable arguments to be levelled against theories which posit 'nothing' as part of an explanation (versus a 'something' of which we remain ignorant).

Garygaz

HSC
Since the dawn of time, man has been curious about his existence. In a world that doesn't make sense, what is the answer? We think we are in control, but are we? Could it be another source that is controlling our destiny? Thoughts. Emotions. Feeling. Movement. Can it really be possible for the group consciousness to be controlled by such an entity? Or are sonic impulses taking over our true reality?

To understand is to be. Do you dare get lost in the rabbit-hole?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
KFunk said:
I concur with Enteebee here. Virtual particles in quantum theory can't really be cited as proof of something coming from nothing. (1) as NTB's link shows, we aren't really dealing with a theoretical 'nothing' and (2) even if we were there are reasonable arguments to be levelled against theories which posit 'nothing' as part of an explanation (versus a 'something' of which we remain ignorant).
Eh, true. However, it's on the right track - and TT is wrong (well, not right) when he says that "Something cannot come from nothing. This is infant level common sense and scientific fact." because there is nothing that strictly forbids it (yes, I know the amount of matter/energy in the universe is finite, but that doesn't necessarily count for quantum particles etc) in current knowledge of the universe, nor nothing that precludes us from discovering any such mechanism in the future. My example was that of the progession of knowledge, and the fact that what he said may absolutely not hold true as we begin to know more about quantum mechanics.

LHC FTW.

griffin86

HSC
The world can be a cold place - as students we know that all too well.

All religions are based on one primary factor - faith. Whether it be in a person, a diety, several dieties, a 'force', 'THE force' (If you watch too much Star Wars), nature, or many others.

The reason for this in my opinion is that it is virtually impossible to have faith in humanity in it's current state. When an intelligent person can take a step back for a moment and look at the state of world affairs, the morals, ethics, bonds and similarities humans share, and how we repel eachother so much, or race towards eachother so quickly that we collide, metaphorically speaking, it's easy to lose faith in humanity.

Therefore, we establish our faith in a higher being or purpose. The majority of the human race seek purpose, a sense of belonging, or a desire to understand our origins or explain the paranormal. Some simply fear death therefore seek answers on what happens to us after our death - surely everything doesn't just turn black and we rot? One would hope not!

Thus, we seek to understand what lies beyond the grave. We seek to understand the universe. Some simply find the universe and all that be in it too much to grasp and understand, and simply place all their trust and faith in a higher being and turn to the book for answers.

Over 80% of the human race believe in one form of religion or another.

staticsiscool

Banned
HSC
griffin86 said:
The world can be a cold place - as students we know that all too well.

All religions are based on one primary factor - faith. Whether it be in a person, a diety, several dieties, a 'force', 'THE force' (If you watch too much Star Wars), nature, or many others.

The reason for this in my opinion is that it is virtually impossible to have faith in humanity in it's current state. When an intelligent person can take a step back for a moment and look at the state of world affairs, the morals, ethics, bonds and similarities humans share, and how we repel eachother so much, or race towards eachother so quickly that we collide, metaphorically speaking, it's easy to lose faith in humanity.

Therefore, we establish our faith in a higher being or purpose. The majority of the human race seek purpose, a sense of belonging, or a desire to understand our origins or explain the paranormal. Some simply fear death therefore seek answers on what happens to us after our death - surely everything doesn't just turn black and we rot? One would hope not!

Thus, we seek to understand what lies beyond the grave. We seek to understand the universe. Some simply find the universe and all that be in it too much to grasp and understand, and simply place all their trust and faith in a higher being and turn to the book for answers.

Over 80% of the human race believe in one form of religion or another.
A large percentage of that 80% are also poverty stricken retards...

hsb39

HSC
Shadose said:

As simple as that.
I don't believe in him, my friend does, what does that mean? Surely when you say "you" that would include both me and my friend, but God existing and God not existing is simply not coherent; they can't both be true.

Grr... Pragmatism, so many flaws.

fpsnebo

HSC
Im pretty sure no matter how hard anyone tries, no one here is gonna prove that god exists or doesnt exist. However what everyone should consider is what if he does exist? If he does then you need to find him and set things right with him so you dont end up in hell right? I think the best way to find if he really is there is to try to follow what the bible says, pray to God and see if he responds.
I am a christian and trust in Jesus and know he exists through my personal experieces. Really what i want to say is just try and found out for your self whether or not he is there, try and speak to him with an open heart and not a closed mind. If you find afterwards that he doesnt exist then i have wasted a short part of your life. If you find that he does exist then your life will have been saved for eternity.
If you honestly do want to find god then i suggest talking to a christian friend (if u have one) or just walk into a church and talk to someone.

And about why would god 'Make' us worship him and go to church and pray, once you find god and beleive in god you wont take going to church, praying and worshiping him as if you have to. You will want to.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Im pretty sure no matter how hard anyone tries, no one here is gonna prove that god exists or doesnt exist.
It all depends on which standard we set... on the standard I've set for non-existence, God does not exist.

However what everyone should consider is what if he does exist? If he does then you need to find him and set things right with him so you dont end up in hell right? I think the best way to find if he really is there is to try to follow what the bible says, pray to God and see if he responds.
Why follow the bible? I think whether or not a God exists, the best way to discover his existence is to use your mind and reasoning capabilities that were naturally bequeathed to you.

If you honestly do want to find god then i suggest talking to a christian friend (if u have one) or just walk into a church and talk to someone.
What am I doing on this forum?

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
HalcyonSky said:
what's this, an 08er posting links to trash?

original
I resent that.
We don't all do it.
And i'm sick of the age argument.
"Who the hell are you to argue with me?! You're only 18!"

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
staticsiscool said:
A large percentage of that 80% are also poverty stricken retards...
I think the better turn of phrase would be "uneducated".
Just to be politically correct.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
fpsnebo said:
I'm pretty sure no matter how hard anyone tries, no one here is gonna prove that god exists or doesnt exist. However what everyone should consider is what if he does exist? If he does then you need to find him and set things right with him so you don't end up in hell right? I think the best way to find if he really is there is to try to follow what the bible says, pray to God and see if he responds.
I am a christian and trust in Jesus and know he exists through my personal experiences. Really what i want to say is just try and found out for your self whether or not he is there, try and speak to him with an open heart and not a closed mind. If you find afterwards that he doesn't exist then i have wasted a short part of your life. If you find that he does exist then your life will have been saved for eternity.

And about why would god 'Make' us worship him and go to church and pray, once you find god and beleive in god you wont take going to church, praying and worshiping him as if you have to. You will want to.
Thank you for Pascal's Wager. Again.
Except that it's idiotic, because it assumes two things:

a) It assumes that one can simply choose whether to believe or not believe in God and then can ignore any part of one's consciousness or reason that is arguing against the choice made. Don't know about you, but i cannot do this.
If i were to simply choose to believe in God and be a Christian one day, i would not be able to just ignore the part of my brain that was yelling at me "But there's no scientific evidence for his existence! How the hell can you be so sure?!" or "Why did you choose this religion?! Why not any of the hundred others?! What makes this religion so good?!"

b) If you were to read the Wager, come to the conclusion that it was right, and then decide you should believe in God, wouldn't you not be believing in God but instead be following his lead for your own selfish purposes? You'd be believing in him just because the afterlife options of heaven (if God does exist) or nothing (if he doesn't) would be better than your choice between hell or nothing if you didn't believe in him.
The Wager assumes that God doesn't know this and that he can be duped. From what i've been told of him, he can't be duped that easily.

nikolas

HSC
Heyh guise if you do dah hokey pokey every nitw, wen u die, youll get an infinite award !!! true story.!!!!1111!!

See if you accept pascals wager as a valid argument you would have to accept this statement as well because of the very nature of an "infinite reward"

also pascals wager is a false dichotomy

Besides, im really pastafarian anyway

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)