Does God exist? (3 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Ror bones

HSC
If you want to believe in the bible you have to believe in all of it including the seven days bit.

im pretty sure one day refers to one morning and evening there for one rotation of the earth Genesis 1:13 "and there was evening and there was evening - the third day"

pretty clear to me its 24 hours unless the earth rotated slower then.

also you cant use the bible to prove God exists other wise i could make a book saying invisible unicorns exist and use it as proof.

and you need to do more than believe in God to get to heaven. it says in the bible that even satan believes in the bible and in God.

you need a personal relationship with God.

Mattius

HSC
I’m with Frog!

I have some questions for those that don't believe in God

If there’s no God. What do you believe in? nothing? an accident? the big bag? How did it come about? what created the giant energy ball?

And if you believe in noting or the big bang there’s really no purpose to your life, when you die you become nothing. I couldn’t imagine living like that

Some reasons why there has to be intelligent design (God) behind creation and life

http://www.doesgodexist.org/Charts/EvidenceForDesignInTheUniverse.html

http://www.doesgodexist.org/index.html

Ror bones

HSC
"If there’s no God. What do you believe in? nothing? an accident? the big bag? How did it come about? what created the giant energy ball? "

who created God?

Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
OK...this may have come up already...

I believe in God...but I think he's a human construct...did I just contradict myself big time?

I think along the lines of Tolstoy - that God's a representation of our relationship with the universe. We created God to help us understand the things we can't understand. Like nature, for instance - in ancient times the seasons were a mystery, so the Greeks decided that they'd attribute it to the mourning of Demeter for her daughter Persephone.

So God is whoever you want him/her/it to be. I don't know how Jesus etc fit into the picture though...never thought about them. I always used to think they were just ordinary people who rose to a challenge.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
well.

thats a mighty fluctuation of unconstructive christian posts if i ever did see one

Generator

HSC
N/A
I doubt that she was referring to you, stella.

UIC, don't you think that it's kind of strange that your most recent post didn't add much (if anything) to the debate? No matter the nature of the above posts, at least they are making what they (and I) consider to be a positive contribution.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Mattius said:
I’m with Frog!

I have some questions for those that don't believe in God

If there’s no God. What do you believe in? nothing? an accident? the big bag? How did it come about? what created the giant energy ball?

And if you believe in noting or the big bang there’s really no purpose to your life, when you die you become nothing. I couldn’t imagine living like that

Some reasons why there has to be intelligent design (God) behind creation and life

http://www.doesgodexist.org/Charts/EvidenceForDesignInTheUniverse.html

http://www.doesgodexist.org/index.html
Appeal to emotion, ignoring the fact that the ball of energy could have just as easily created itself, as well as other things that you would have realised have been covered if you'd read the fucking thread.

EDIT: And those links ignore that if such constants were different then other worlds would be capable of sustaining life.

Oddy Nocki

HSC
N/A
I back tracked a bit the rest I'lll just make up and that will do.

Religon is a means of imposing order and morality into a large group of people (society) Why? Cause people are stupid. What do we know about stupid people? They follow stuff blindly, and basically are unable to function on comman sense (see any fire drill) Now because people have the ability to be swayed with ease by charismatic people you need something more. Why? Because you can't dismiss something you can't prove. Therefore you need a higher power. Now if you have a higher power you have the ability to suggest a certain way people should behave to the fact that people have a natrual fear of the unknown (See homophobia, or aids panic in the 1980's) Now, this can be reduced to a equation:

Fear of unknown + the inevetible= Doubt

Doubt + answer (god)= Belief.

The real question is why do we need belief? To engaged morality, Why? Because people on a massive scale do not know how to behave. So by introducing God/worship/rules/conquences people now have as disincentive (fear) to do something due to the repercussions.

Now granted alot of the bible is just parabols (I think that's right, a story with a moral undertone) But I've found most of it now is almost moot. Levitcus is a great example of rules (Period, Birth, Food Hygene issues) that in todays enviroment are retarded due to the standard of living.

Frankly the stuff there pushing is just common fucking sense.

Personally, I don't need god. (I don't hate him or even consider him to be my savior. I know that he could be or not. This arguement will go on for the end of time, and I just don't care enough.)

I don't need to someone (or something) to justify my actions or the actions of others. If I commit into an action good or bad. I don't pass bucks. I will accept what I sow with no malice. I did it why shouldn't I? So in this light God is a moot point. Sure, I could be walking with satan, I don't really care. I live my life according to my standards. I can and will do whatever I like, why would a higher people need me? I'm not unique, so I may as well enjoy the freedom I have now. Regardless whether or not I go to a higher power or become food for worms. I'm still relagated to a slave in the end.

Why do I need to worship or accept him as a savior, what does that achieve? Does god need an ego boost?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
F.R.O.G said:
you can't use the excuse that "God exists because the bible says so". I think that that is a load of bull. Why can't you?
Its a circular argument.

archaeologists have proved its truth and accuracy... 99.9% of the Bible is FACT!!! The only mistake in the bible is the misspelling of a man's name.
If you actually believed that you'd believe anything anybody said. Gulliable much?

Please dont take the bible literally. It is a document that indeed posseses much historical merit, but in the end it is a creation of man; Edited throughout the centuries to reflect the cultural, political, and social needs of those in power.

Essentially one of the main reasons religions evolved was that those in power saw it as a useful tool to control populations and reinforce their right to rule.

There is no god as described in religious texts. There are too many contradictions, most of which believers choose to ignore.

davin

HSC
N/A
sam04u, you're misusing the term illogical. Logic is just a system of using statements to reach a conclusion, such as saying that one doesn't see any evidence for God, then one doesn't believe in the existance of God. You may disagree with the accuracy of the first statement, but thats an issue with perception, not logic.

F.R.O.G. said:
I am a Christian, I love life and GOD... In my opinion God created the world in 7 days. I know what you're thinking...There is absolutely no logical way that the world was created by one "man" in 7 days.And that's true, FOR MAN. God is no "Man"!!! He's God, and it's in my opinion that the days at the begining of creation were longer than our present day times. It wasn't untill like ancient Roman/Greek times that "Time" (hours of the day) was "invented".
well, considering our definition of a day is just how long it takes the earth to rotate once around its axis, that definition has been used long before the Greeks.

mattius said:
I believe that the best explanation we have for the beginning of the universe is the big bang, as it fits observations, and has predicted additional things that we should find, and did later find as the theory predicted. To try to say "what created it" i don't consider so much an issue as then thats talking about what happened prior to time starting. more than that, to say "well, something must've started the big bang" leads to "well, something must've created whatever started the big bang" and then there's an infinite loop. at this point, i don't think we'll ever have an answer to why the big bang happened, so i don't have much of a view either way on that.

mattius said:
http://www.doesgodexist.org/Charts/E...eUniverse.html
while there are some key ratios that have made a universe that allows life, the main flaw with that site is that, clearly the right things happened if there is life. for example, things relating to, say, a planet's distance from its star, there are large large large numbers of planets in the universe that aren't that distance, and so they don't have life. plenty of it is luck, just that if that luck hadn't happened, we'd not be here to discuss the liklihood.

stbrob

HSC
Yes, he does. Christianity is the largest religon in the world with upwards of 2.1 billion (Dedicated) Christians compared to the 1.3 billon islamic followers, and the
1.1 billion Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist peolpe in the world, and as to "The Bible is the word of God” and so it can't be used as evidence. Just ask one of the 2.1 Billion about why they belive in God. They all have a moving story, and some christians i know were stubon Atheists like you until they heard god call them.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
davin said:
I believe that the best explanation we have for the beginning of the universe is the big bang, as it fits observations, and has predicted additional things that we should find, and did later find as the theory predicted. To try to say "what created it" i don't consider so much an issue as then thats talking about what happened prior to time starting. more than that, to say "well, something must've started the big bang" leads to "well, something must've created whatever started the big bang" and then there's an infinite loop. at this point, i don't think we'll ever have an answer to why the big bang happened, so i don't have much of a view either way on that.
you know there was still a universe before the big bang? the big bang just explains why all the planets are expanding and arranged in a particular. but what is to say there were more than one big bang? surely it is possible? either way the universe must have existed before for the big bang to occur.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
volition said:
stbrob, are you saying we should believe because they believe?
are you an idiot? u can believe in anything you want. you can believe that aliens are real and that sky will fall in some day.

Its the question of trust, do you trust god?

i believe in you, but i dont trust you!

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
HotShot said:
you know there was still a universe before the big bang? the big bang just explains why all the planets are expanding and arranged in a particular. but what is to say there were more than one big bang? surely it is possible? either way the universe must have existed before for the big bang to occur.
but how does infinity fit in with time? how is it possible that the present exists when there is an infinite amount of past?

HotShot

-_-
HSC
crazyhomo said:
but how does infinity fit in with time? how is it possible that the present exists when there is an infinite amount of past?
It has not to be? because energy cannot be created nor destroyed. so it has to been existing forever in some conditions, and thus the universe has always existed and will always exist.

so essentially- i am saying the universe wasnt created, nor was it made by a 'big bang'. but that doesnt mean the big bang didnt occur, it probably did, causing expansion distance between planets. but isnt gravity supposed to hold it together? (just a thought).

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
stbrob said:
Yes, he does. Christianity is the largest religon in the world with upwards of 2.1 billion (Dedicated) Christians compared to the 1.3 billon islamic followers, and the
1.1 billion Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist peolpe in the world, and as to "The Bible is the word of God” and so it can't be used as evidence. Just ask one of the 2.1 Billion about why they belive in God. They all have a moving story, and some christians i know were stubon Atheists like you until they heard god call them.

Argumentum ad populum.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
It's not a question of whether or not God exists;
Its logical to believe that god/celestial force does..

The entities part, in the creation of the universe wouldn't even have to be extreme... just defining a few laws that the universe operates by... (I could explain this but it might be copied or plagiarised or misinterperted so I won't)

However, without a doubt god exists,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)