• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (4 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Don't be stupid googooloo, it is obvious that islam is as anti-scientific advancement as christianity is. I would also point to the greak work done in the field of science by christian and jewish scholars.... It's a complete and utter lie to claim your religion is in any way different.

Of course people have no problem with scientific advancement, when it does not contradict their religious views, why would they have an issue with it?

May I ask a question? How do we know jesus died? You can only erase your own sins, you can't get someone else to do it for you. You and you are responsible alone.
I have no idea why you're bothering to argue about whether or not you can 'erase sins', I mean the existance of sin, let alone any of the issues reguarding it, is such a far-fetched concept that any discussion of it is best left to lunatics.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
googooloo said:
I do believe in god. I think the comment about christianity becoming obsolute by modern scientific methods is partly true. Proud evangelical christians do not look to science much, unless on a doctor patient level. They htink science contradics god.

Not being part of that faith but of the muslim faith, I find this idea rediculous. Science and Islam go hand-in-hand. A lot of muslim doctors created medical equipmetn we have today, like the forseps for getting babies out of the womb. The only thign is the western docotr who took up its practice began using it on live babies. It was only meant for still borns. That is why babies who have it used to them end up have marks form it, like a crushed and indented skull. IDiots!

Everyone knows why Muslims believe in god. So I will not go into it, and do try not to be tempted to ask questions on it, since in so many other forums this has already happened, and you can find you answers there.
hypocrisy much?

malkin86

HSC
googooloo said:
Blood this blood that, blood flowing everywhere, lets bath in a river of blood.
May I ask a question? How do we know jesus died? You can only erase your own sins, you can't get someone else to do it for you. You and you are responsible alone.
I asked about the blood because it seems to be a central idea in Christianity which I'm not sure that I understand.
The facetious answer to your question would be "Cos he lived like, 2000 years ago! Duh.. :rolleyes: " I assume that you meant 'how do we know that Jesus died as a martyr?'

Christianity's answer to the erasure of sins problem would probably be something like "Good works (however they are defined) come as a natural joyful response to the relationship between you and God - we are not strong enough, nor can we ever be strong enough, to erase our own sins. That's why Jesus was sent." Ofc, I might have it wrong, but that's what I've been told.

chockie

HSC
malkin86 said:
I asked about the blood because it seems to be a central idea in Christianity which I'm not sure that I understand.
The facetious answer to your question would be "Cos he lived like, 2000 years ago! Duh.. :rolleyes: " I assume that you meant 'how do we know that Jesus died as a martyr?'

Christianity's answer to the erasure of sins problem would probably be something like "Good works (however they are defined) come as a natural joyful response to the relationship between you and God - we are not strong enough, nor can we ever be strong enough, to erase our own sins. That's why Jesus was sent." Ofc, I might have it wrong, but that's what I've been told.
From my knowledge the requirement of blood has a lot to do with God's character. He is a just God, and He is also perfect. As creator of both people and the universe, he deserves unquestioning obedience.

Sin isn't confined to actions...'i never murdered anyone, i'm a good person ra ra ra'. Christianity teaches that since the fall of Adam and Eve, all people are born with a sinful nature - they're naturally inclined to sin, whether this is lying or being greedy or jealous of someone else's car or whatever - not just the big and obvious ones. Even in doing a good thing i can usually find a wrong motive if i look at myself hard enough.

God is a God of justice and rebellion against him can't go unpunished - it's against his nature - and the sentence is death. So basically all of humanity is screwed. But he is also a God of love and that's why Jesus' blood was used. It's like one of the stories i heard about a prison camp during one of the wars. A prisoner stole something and all of them were lined up and told to stand until he owned up. An older man knew who was guilty, and that he had a wife and family. Single himself, he admitted to the crime to save the young man, and was shot. Like you said, i'm sure the guilty man's response was one of deep gratitude.

That's where good works come into Christianity - as a love response to Jesus taking the role of scapegoat - not as a legalistic attempt to win God's favour.

chockie

HSC
i wasn't actually trying to prove anything - i was outlining the Christian belief about sin and God in an attempt to answer the blood question. i would've thought that was obvious.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
otay said:
Yeah religious nuts are making the world fucked up. George Bush, Bin Laden, Sharon...all these guys are enforcing policies based on religion. You don't see any atheists invading countries, blowing buildings up or causing shit because they feel like their people must live in "God given" home. What a bunch of shit. The other problem is greed and although not in the Bible, many Christians believe in the whole "The Lord helps those who help themselves" notion. Notice I said religion not simply believing in a higher existence, completely different.
Just because people claim to be of a religion does not make them so. There is a little more invovled than a mere declaration of words.
An old syaing comes to mind: "Even the devil can quote scripture to suit his purpose."

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
Enlightened_One said:
Just because people claim to be of a religion does not make them so. There is a little more invovled than a mere declaration of words.
An old syaing comes to mind: "Even the devil can quote scripture to suit his purpose."
that is where i reject the belief of "believe, and you will be saved", because it defeats the purpose of refraining from commiting evil in christianity.

HSC
No He doesn't, a few atoms randomly collided and something blew up and the universe came to be and we evolved from bugs. (/sarcasm)

googooloo

HSC
If you had more knowledge of te msulim belief in the world, and such, then you would know it isn't 6 htousand years ago. Maybe to christianity. But not islam. When it talks about sucha htign as 7 days, 7 days ot god is different in number. You may think this is a scape goat thign, but it's not. There is more to the words then just hte words. Science just runs all thoughout the qur'an. It's a lot longer than you think. I think it is that 1 day = 250,000yrs+. then x that by 7. You should get your answer.

googooloo

HSC
malkin86 said:

That is hte idea. But we are strong enough to erase our own sins. We ask for forgiveness. But to recieve it we must feel it from our hearts. And how does god kow? Beucase god sees everythign that is within our minds, and "what lies inthe breats of men". In islam jesus did not die a matyr as the christians see. He was saved before htis time.

Salima

HSC
precisely what veterandoggy said. and yes i do, that is why I believe in it, and not you.

If something is meant to go elsewhere,
it will never come your way,
but if it is yours by destiny,
from you it cannot flee.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
I believe humans evolved from apes. Cos when you think about we arent so different from animals. We eat, drink, and sleep just like animals. I mean every believes we didnt evolve because we are so smart, = but thats stupid! the animals know quite a bit remember in the tsunami, none of the animals drowned on one island - they all left long ago, not thats intelligence.

Humans have similar characteristics, we are all greedy we want more. which is like animals they want more food, and more fun.

on the other hand people simply believe that we didnt evolve in the name of religion.

but because i believe in evolution that doesnt mean i dont believe in god. GOD is screwed over anyway, think about it, why would GOD create us? why would he have angels and devils? is GOD black or white? maybe GOD is a DOG> :)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
If something is meant to go elsewhere,
it will never come your way,
but if it is yours by destiny,
from you it cannot flee.

Wow, a whacko that believes in destiny but still probably believes in free-choice.... Must be a theo`

Edit: And as for those two who responded to me by saying "And that's why you don't believe", that is the most obvious statement ever presented on these forums. My point was why the hell do others still believe in a religion with so many problems?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)