Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
Hell is not so much the picture of fire and brimstone that people think. Hell itself is the absence of God.

The punishment for those who do not accept God as their God is an eternity without him. You may think that's not so bad because you live without God now.

BUT... right now you are living without God because you believe he does not exist. Hell is different because you will stand face to face with God and realise exactly how perfect he is and exactly how perfect you are not. He will say to you "Never again will you behold what is perfect. You now know what is you are missing and you will spend forever with out it."

And ALSO Pascals wager does not take into account true christian living... if you see what happened to Paul because he was a Christian, you will know that living as a christian in this life is not a winning thing!

Basically christians can only win if God exists ;)

Whoops... sorry MS... I just naturally think of biblegateway.com as a resource ;)

1 Who has believed our message
and to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?

2 He grew up before him like a tender shoot,
and like a root out of dry ground.
He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

3 He was despised and rejected by men,
a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering.
Like one from whom men hide their faces
he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

4 Surely he took up our infirmities
and carried our sorrows,
yet we considered him stricken by God,
smitten by him, and afflicted.

5 But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,
and by his wounds we are healed.

6 We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
each of us has turned to his own way;
and the LORD has laid on him
the iniquity of us all.

7 He was oppressed and afflicted,
yet he did not open his mouth;
he was led like a lamb to the slaughter,
and as a sheep before her shearers is silent,
so he did not open his mouth.

8 By oppression and judgment he was taken away.
And who can speak of his descendants?
For he was cut off from the land of the living;
for the transgression of my people he was stricken.

9 He was assigned a grave with the wicked,
and with the rich in his death,
though he had done no violence,
nor was any deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it was the LORD's will to crush him and cause him to suffer,
and though the LORD makes his life a guilt offering,
he will see his offspring and prolong his days,
and the will of the LORD will prosper in his hand.

11 After the suffering of his soul,
he will see the light of life and be satisfied;
by his knowledge my righteous servant will justify many,
and he will bear their iniquities.

12 Therefore I will give him a portion among the great,
and he will divide the spoils with the strong,
because he poured out his life unto death,
and was numbered with the transgressors.
For he bore the sin of many,
and made intercession for the transgressors.

Last edited:

danieljarvis

HSC
i apologise in advance if people find this stupid.

i always find these posts interesting to read and see how involved people get.
i have 2 questions for the believers here just to see what the consensus is among religious types.

1- If the noah's flood was a worldwide event would there not be a layer of sediment in archealogical records?

2 - Carbon 14 dating, Pottassium-Argon dating and the likes put records back accurately to ages far beyond 4000 BC ... so what is the thought on that?

gerhard

HSC
Not that Bright - thanks for the site link, this place has an article on something i posted here that no one responded to.

http://www.abarnett.demon.co.uk/atheism/freewill.html

gerhard said:
ive got a question about christianity/monotheistic gods. Ive never really understood this, im sure christians must have some sort of answer for it since it seems like such an obvious problem.

Firstly, God is omniscient. He knows everything, he is outside of time. he knows the past and the future.

Secondly, I have free choice to accept god or not. My future is not pre-determined, I can make my own decisions.

But how can I have a free choice if god already knows what Im going to do? God knows the future, he surely must know what I am going to do and if he does then I wouldnt have free choice. If he doesnt know what Im going to do, then he isnt much of a god.

Generator

HSC
N/A
danieljarvis said:
i apologise in advance if people find this stupid.

i always find these posts interesting to read and see how involved people get.
i have 2 questions for the believers here just to see what the consensus is among religious types.

1- If the noah's flood was a worldwide event would there not be a layer of sediment in archealogical records?

2 - Carbon 14 dating, Pottassium-Argon dating and the likes put records back accurately to ages far beyond 4000 BC ... so what is the thought on that?
Not all Christian believers hold with a literal interpretation of the bible.

danieljarvis

HSC
yeah but it's interesting to hear why people believe in what they do without referring to the word faith.
and to hear arguments from atheists restraining from using the words fiction, deluded and FUCK THATS FRUSTRATING.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Yea, but many (all?) muslims hold quite a literal interpretation of the koran.
that isnt entierly true, since some verses are just letters. we have absolutely no idea of the meaning behind them, and therefore cant take it either literal or metaphorical.

1- i dont know much about it, but maybe it only happened where noah was? also since we dont know when he existed (this may answer 2 sort of) we dont know how far apart thelandmasses of gondwana and laurasia were. oh, and muslims were able to produce a theory of evolution better than darwin's, so we do have some belief in evolution.
ill answer 2 again: i dont think islam has put a date on the earth's age. if anyone does find such information, i would be eager to hear of it.

you may notice that i am the first or second muslim to post here. well, we are already preoccupied with our thread, and alot of the questions that may be asked here to us have already been asked, so we might be sitting in the audience for a while, occasionally shouting out corrections when we are criticised.

danieljarvis

HSC
veterandoggy said:
1- i dont know much about it, but maybe it only happened where noah was? also since we dont know when he existed (this may answer 2 sort of) we dont know how far apart thelandmasses of gondwana and laurasia were. oh, and muslims were able to produce a theory of evolution better than darwin's, so we do have some belief in evolution.
im not sure on the specifics on the bibles rendering of the flood, but i did think it was a worldwide flood.
Gondwana and Laurasia (in moder sciences thinkings) were thought to have broken from the supercontinent Pangea about 180 million years ago.. i thought Noah was between 4000 BC and 3000 BC (inform me if you may!) Also just for facts sake the continents are in a continuous cycle of joining and breaking apart since they were created. I can't remember how many times it is thought they have joined and parted (6 or 7 i think).

Can i hear the muslim theory of evolution.. (dont say better.. shows bias)

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
danieljarvis said:
Can i hear the muslim theory of evolution.. (dont say better.. shows bias)
i dont know much about it, but if an atheist/agonistic placed in their post that the theory we developed was better than darwin's, im slightly inclined to believe the source they got it from. ill try looking for it, but not tonight cos im going to get some shut eye.

but basically it agrees with almost all darwin said, except for the part involving humans.

and if the earth is thought to have joined landmasses countless times, maybe the flood happened at this time? i dont know much about the geographical side of it, only the story.

otay

HSC
lol. dude no use gettin worked up. just read the quote ur sig "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." I think that says it all.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
god.....who the fuck knows? all i believe in is when you die, you die......you're dead....no afterlife, no heaven or hell, you're just DEAD. according to me....that's all folks.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Has anyone seen that show where they showed how the plagues of egypt could have been real? Like showing the connections of how everything could have feasibly worked together?

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Has anyone seen that show where they showed how the plagues of egypt could have been real? Like showing the connections of how everything could have feasibly worked together?
are yuo tlaking about the movie "Mummy" with Brendan Fraser?

nah jk.

tell me how they explained it, or pm me a link to the docu

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
It was on tv ages ago... it was scientific, but not used to prove the existance of god...
They just wanted to show how the plague event was feasible, by putting in connections i.e. every year the nile floods.... bugs come... start killing children.... etc etc

They connected everything, so personally I believe it's partially a true story.

otay

HSC
how can u be so cynical. There is proof in a book that was written over centuries by various authors. Plus I have faith coz my parents forced me to go to church and didnt allow me to think for myself.

p.s. I wonder if religious people have heard of Chinese Whispers?

studynoob

HSC
N/A
otay said:
how can u be so cynical. There is proof in a book that was written over centuries by various authors. Plus I have faith coz my parents forced me to go to church and didnt allow me to think for myself.

p.s. I wonder if religious people have heard of Chinese Whispers?
what kind of sick people believe in something that never existed!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)