• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

777HYBRID777

HSC
Not extreme.

Some, are with God. And so, the onus is on them to prove it's existence.
Hahaha i think it has been demonstrated throuout this WHOLE forum that Theists do not follow a god in order to prove its existance.

THERE IS NO BURDON ON THE AVERAGE RELIGIOUS PERSON TO HAVE TO OVERTLY PROVE THAT WHAT THEY BELIEVE IN IS MATERIAL AND CAN BE DESCRIBED

Religion is a beautiful thing, not a game of ping pong - it is a very personal deep search for meaning, and for those who find themselves in a postion to say that they have achieved a mental space where they are happy to say thats what they believe - good for them - they are the ones who can sleep at night, and shrug off any stupid comments you put forward. Acceptance is the key to understanding my friend..

Its unfortunate for you that you do not even attempt to consider the possibility of such a mindset.

777HYBRID777

HSC
In this argument however, Does God Exist?, theists do have an onus, because they follow a god.

kthx
dude did u even read my comment? Athiets (or at least you) seem to want theists to have some kind of burdon.. why - im not going into that.

There are thousands of people around the world who can say religion has enriched their lives - they sleep at night, you seem to have an issue with that

EDIT: and regarding the question 'does god exist?' - if it is not obvious to you now that this cannnot be answered without 1000 more questions, you sir are a moron.

Last edited:

Karlmarx

HSC
N/A
It's not that i want them too.

They do.

They claim to have a God.

So, in turn, they must prove he exists.

Its the same as 'I was abducted by aliens'.

I've made a statement.

I have to prove my statement true, or otherwise, logically, its false.

So there we have it. I'm not giving you a burden. You are, for claiming to have a God.

777HYBRID777

HSC

They do.

They claim to have a God.

So, in turn, they must prove he exists.
okay... i have said this twice now..

The notion of religion cannot be detarmined on 'logistics', as i have previously stressed that because religion is so old, and nobody knows everything - SO 'logistically' nobody can make a complete valid argument when saying god exists or does not exist. Religion (as i have previously said) is personal and VERY relative to experiences and should not be limited.

the world is not black and white

So there we have it. I'm not giving you a burden. You are, for claiming to have a God.
It is for this exact reason that in this forum i have never 'claimed to have a god'

bazrah

HSC
To a point, this is absolutely fucking absurd. If this is the case then the burden of proof is on you to prove why Zeus, Apollo, Poseidon, Dionysus, Baal, Ra, Osiris, etc. etc. do not exist.

To say that something doesn't exist when there is a literal and absolute non-existence of evidence to suggest it does is not absurd; it is scientific.

Or do you think that the idea that unicorns do not exist must first be proven before accepted?

So you are literally unable to take a moral high road at all, because quite frankly you dismiss the same amount of Gods as I do based on the exact same reasoning minus one.
If I claimed that Zeus did not exist, then it would be reasonable to expect that I would have some evidence or proof that he does not exist.

My post was regarding Karl Marx claiming the onus was on religious people to prove his existence.

This is entirely true, but by making the absolute claim that God does not exist, it is expected that he would atleast have some evidence of this. Otherwise, he probably shouldn't make such a claim, or atleast admit he is taking an unprovable stance. The greater onus is still on the religious people, but there is also one on those who claim that God does not exist.

I'm not taking a moral high road on the subject of whether or not God exists. I would assume that noone wins as noone is able to prove either claim. Although you could claim as the greater onus is on religious people, we lose. The point would still remain though that noone has proven their claim.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
I'm not a homosexual man, but if Jesus offered himself to me, I would totally accept.

Karlmarx

HSC
N/A
If I claimed that Zeus did not exist, then it would be reasonable to expect that I would have some evidence or proof that he does not exist.

My post was regarding Karl Marx claiming the onus was on religious people to prove his existence.

This is entirely true, but by making the absolute claim that God does not exist, it is expected that he would atleast have some evidence of this. Otherwise, he probably shouldn't make such a claim, or atleast admit he is taking an unprovable stance. The greater onus is still on the religious people, but there is also one on those who claim that God does not exist.

I'm not taking a moral high road on the subject of whether or not God exists. I would assume that noone wins as noone is able to prove either claim. Although you could claim as the greater onus is on religious people, we lose. The point would still remain though that noone has proven their claim.
This is entirely true, but by making the absolute claim that God does not exist, it is expected that he would atleast have some evidence of this. Otherwise, he probably shouldn't make such a claim, or atleast admit he is taking an unprovable stance.

are you taking an unproveable stance?

if so, good.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC

Of course, assuming that Zeus is bounded within the laws of our universe and isn't some kind of magnificant all loving/omnipotent/omniscience creature that doesn't (apparently) follow logic and rationality (subjective but in a practical sense, obvious) and can break the laws of the universe at will.

See the problem here? We're trying to prove a negative on a phenomenon that _can't_ be tested. It's not like t he aether where we can theorise an experiment to 'disprove' it.

also @aimeee
It's such a shame you've reverted back into your shell and started covering your ears going 'lalalala' rather than providing one case of evidence (non anecdotal) to strengthen your case.

Real shame really, as mentioned previously - this thread has made me _more_ atheist than before.

Last edited:

Karlmarx

HSC
N/A
Of course, assuming that Zeus is bounded within the laws of our universe and isn't some kind of magnificant all loving/omnipotent/omniscience creature that doesn't (apparently) follow logic and rationality (subjective but in a practical sense, obvious) and can break the laws of the universe at will.

See the problem here? We're trying to prove a negative on a phenomenon that _can't_ be tested. It's not like t he aether where we can theorise an experiment to 'disprove' it.
+1 friend.

Good to see some logic in this thread. The lack of it is turning my face blue.:confused:

Scorch

HSC
Wow. A lot of absolute shit to deal with here.

The notion of religion cannot be detarmined on 'logistics', as i have previously stressed that because religion is so old, and nobody knows everything
As I pointed out to you, religion does not predate culture. Culture predates organised religion by some 25,000 years.

Seriously? Im gonna go ahead and assume ur a complete athiest who ironically has had no education of any religious traditions and say - This nameless god may not be some dude in a white robe with a flowing white beard - but there is something in all of us which does materialise the message of his followers - go ahead and witness the thousands of acts of kindness and tell me what you think then, oh wait, pardon me - you are not omnipotent, so i guess you are left with whatever arrogance and discrimination your feeble mind can muster
What about the thousands of acts of cruelty? What about those that suffer excruciatingly at the hands of the religious? What about those homosexuals who are marginalised to this day because of religion? Are they to suffer so that people can have their invisible friend to comfort them?

dude did u even read my comment? Athiets (or at least you) seem to want theists to have some kind of burdon.. why - im not going into that.

There are thousands of people around the world who can say religion has enriched their lives - they sleep at night, you seem to have an issue with that
There are thousands of people who have been discriminated against, persecuted, tortured, executed and painfully marginalised because of religion too. Good people will do good things without religion and bad people will do bad things without religion, but it takes religion to make good people do bad things.

Now that his absolute tripe is out of the way, onto the semi-serious arguments.

Do you, or do you not, believe that unicorns exist? Do you, or do you not, believe that there is a flying spaghetti monster that is awaiting the perfect time to strike in vengeance for his pasta-made brethren? See where the line goes here? They're just as plausible and there is just as much proof for such things as there is for some sort of God.

So what logic dictates is that you evaluate each statement on the evidence for its claims and reject those that don't stand up. This is how science functions, ideologically. Atheism is a reaction to a belief. It is the rejection of a claim for which there is no evidence.

This idea that rejecting that God exists based on the fact that there is absolutely no evidence that he does is somehow logically false is just a ridiculous splitting of hairs by the religious to make their beliefs seem somehow less absurd and childish. If you hold the rest of the world to that standard, then almost all scientific knowledge can be ruled invalid.

Theists set such a bar because it is the only bar through which they are able to weave and duck to make their beliefs somehow different to Santa Clause or other gods that they themselves reject. Nonetheless, the fact remains that it is altogether rational to state that something does not exist if there is no evidence to suggest that it does.

Last edited:

Karlmarx

HSC
N/A
Wow. A lot of absolute shit to deal with here.

As I pointed out to you, religion does not predate culture. Culture predates organised religion by some 25,000 years.

What about the thousands of acts of cruelty? What about those that suffer excruciatingly at the hands of the religious? What about those homosexuals who are marginalised to this day because of religion? Are they to suffer so that people can have their invisible friend to comfort them?

There are thousands of people who have been discriminated against, persecuted, tortured, executed and painfully marginalised because of religion too. Good people will do good things without religion and bad people will do bad things without religion, but it takes religion to make good people do bad things.

Now that his absolute tripe is out of the way, onto the semi-serious arguments.

Do you, or do you not, believe that unicorns exist? Do you, or do you not, believe that there is a flying spaghetti monster that is awaiting the perfect time to strike in vengeance for his pasta-made brethren? See where the line goes here? They're just as plausible and there is just as much proof for such things as there is for some sort of God.

So what logic dictates is that you evaluate each statement on the evidence for its claims and reject those that don't stand up. This is how science functions, ideologically. Atheism is a reaction to a belief. It is the rejection of a claim for which there is no evidence.

This idea that rejecting that God exists based on the fact that there is absolutely no evidence that he does is somehow logically false is just a ridiculous splitting of hairs by the religious to make their beliefs seem somehow less absurd and childish. If you hold the rest of the world to that standard, then almost all scientific knowledge can be ruled invalid.

Theists set such a bar because it is the only bar through which they are able to weave and duck to make their beliefs somehow different to Santa Clause or other gods that they themselves reject. Nonetheless, the fact remains that it is altogether rational to state that something does not exist if there is no evidence to suggest that it does.
I LOVE YOU! Lunch sometime?

Karlmarx

HSC
N/A
ahh damnit.

well, fine then. Ill leave my mochafrappazoopchinos and my turkish ciggarettes and bread and my double bay park to myself!

Karlmarx

HSC
N/A
haha :party::party: at mine! Atheists, and religious people with half a brain allowed.

So in other words, just atheists. :rofl:

Karlmarx

HSC
N/A
Nar, i reckon;

A like, meeting of people with the same ideas as scorch. Get some cigarettes and wine and a nice park. Sounds enlightening.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)