• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (6 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
CyanideChrist said:
Yeah, but his point is that the so called 'magnetic stars' are more magnetic than ordinary stars, therefore qualifying them to be called 'magnetic stars'. I suppose it's just a more specific category of star?
Perhaps, but it's not a definition in wide scientific use. All stars are magnetic, a neutron star is a neutron star, and in the context he was using, "magnetic star" meant absolutely nothing.

big8oyjames

Banned
HSC
i told my mum about magic not being true and she thinks that i have atheist friends brainwashing me.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
nikolas said:
Why was my response out of place? It clearly is a God of Gaps. Your asking us to explain unknown phenomena, which offcourse, we don't know, at least yet.
i was only enquiring as to non-thiests' OPINION. you incorrectly interpreted that as me leading to "ok well you can't explain it ... THEREFORE GOD EXISTS" which i didn't, you basically have a strawman response

nikolas said:
You got off easy, this kid lost Christmas :p

YouTube - Pissed Off Catholic Mom
hahaha
best part is her husband. i wonder who wears the pants in that relationship

Last edited:

nikolas

HSC
gibbo153 said:
i was only enquiring as to non-thiests' OPINION. you incorrectly interpreted that as me leading to "ok well you can't explain it ... THEREFORE GOD EXISTS" which i didn't, you basically have a strawman response
Ok, I'm sorry I assumed you were debating whether there is a God, rather than idle chatter.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
nikolas said:
Ok, I'm sorry I assumed you were debating whether there is a God, rather than idle chatter.
idle chatter?

get over yourself mate

Lukybear

HSC
John Oliver said:
This is why you trust empiricism over logic. You see, I could have logically said "Oh he's a creationist thus he's a retard" but you provided me with the empirical evidence (i.e your posts) to prove your actual retardation.

It turns out in this instance my logic was correct, your logic was flawed and your chromosomal abnormalities were abundant!
LOL, thats quite ignorant, no matter who you are.

Gerald10

HSC
Question for Christians or any theist really...

If we assume that 'God' does exist in one form or another... why do you believe the Christian idealogy to be the most likely to be the correct of all the world religions?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
big8oyjames said:
OMFG OMFG. if i said that to my mum, she would start to cry. literally man, i touched on a few touchy subjects before like magic and few others in islam she got all emotional. meh, thats mums for ya!
Whoa wait hang on, theres magic in islam? Explain me plz?

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
i've decided to leave this thread. i'm recieving diminishing returns for effort. the returns weren't astounding to begin with.

in summary i don't believe that 'logic' in regard to comprehension of processes can in itself answer the question.

i believe logic in regards to christianity allows you to get 'half way' more or less, to a place where you are prepared to either make a 'leap of faith', or choose not to.

have fun locking your horns friends.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
to me the only thing that matters is this question for any theists:

How could you possibly know that?

(where 'that' is whatever you believe to be true about god)

remembering

The claim here is that the religious text (Bible, Quran, etc) proves that God exists. This argument makes the fallacy of begging the question (or circular reasoning). When the argument is set out clearly this becomes obvious:

How do we know God exists?
God exists because the Bible says so.
Why should we believe the Bible?
Because the Bible is the word of God.
God exists because the Bible says so.
Why should we believe the Bible?
Because the Bible is the word of God.

(etc, ad infinitum.)

You cannot use the conclusion you are trying to prove (that God exists) as one of your premises. The premise “the Bible is the word of God” already assumes the truth of the conclusion.

Lukybear

HSC
However you cannot disprove God either. Rather my belife comes from the conviction that God is there, in other words faith. To be honest with all of you people, i once disbelieved, scoffed and felt skeptic, infact even hatred towards Christianity. However over periods of time, i was transformed in my Lord, God, Christ.

One cannot truly explain this except catagorising this as God's grace. Ultimately we, as theists cannot fully prove that God exists. We, and i think i share this conviction with many of my fellow Christians on this board, that hope is the only light which we possess for your salvation. That only through God's grace you may belive and be saved. For this God, which many of you disbelive with such strong ardour,i must remind you is omnipotent, that logically speaking, He owes you nothing. And if one takes nothing away from this slab of persoanl conviction, please take away this, that salvation is only through Grace and nothing else.

georgefren

HSC
Oh come on. Religon by its nature is something that requires faith - and therefore is neither able to be proved or disproved. I personally don't believe in God, but that doesnt mean I'm going to attack someone for their personal beliefs.

On the other hand, that works both ways. If you believe in God, please don't be an absolute twat about it and try and convert me. Like the moron above, it gives a bad name to the faith when people are overly zealous about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)