• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (4 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
Kwayera said:
A plan that included the murder of millions of people? Sucky plan, if you ask me.
i spose your referring to times god commanded the israelites to conquer other lands and kill all the inhabitants etc,

i guess when thinking about this, one should know that god is omniscient, and therefore should never be questioned anyway.

but, in an attempt to satisfy your rebuttal, that yes god did instruct those things to be carried out.

The Bible’s descriptions of God are not at variance between Old and New Testaments.
For example in the Old Testament we find God saying, “The soul who sins is the one who will die.” (Ezek 18:5)
In the New Testament, we find the apostle, Paul, writing “the wages of sin is death” (Rom 6:23).
However, in the Old Testament we also find God declaring, “I take no pleasure in the death of anyone” (Ezek 18:32).
Similarly in the New Testament, we find the apostle, Peter, writing about God, “He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish.” (2 Peter 3:9)
Now in both testaments, the way to avoid death was quite clear:
“Repent and live!” (Ezek 18:32) and “not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance” (2 Peter 3:9).

therefore,

• sin will be punished by death
  • God doesn’t want death to come to man
  • death is avoided by repentance, turning away from the sin.
thats what needs to be recognised before we can really comprehend this properly

if you want to know more about the people who were killed in relation to these factors you can look at this site

http://sowhatgod.wordpress.com/2008/11/03/why-did-god-order-israel-to-kill-men-women-and-children/

if your just trying to rebut things, which i partially suspect but may be wrong, then you won't understand the answer to your question unless its explained in context.

HSC
I, Personally, Believe (allusion to Miss South Carolina 2007- youtube it) that like totally like God is whatever you want him/it to be. Some people say God is simply love while others insist that he is a infinately complex entity beyond our comprehension (most agree with this).

The people who read this thread fall into one of three categories. Those who believe in God (they will say so and try to convince others), those who do not belive in god (they will say so and try to convince others) and finally those who are unsure (they will read it and either ignore it or make a judgement only to be later rejected).

Anyways. I used to not belive in God but one day i woke up and saw everything differently. About a 10 on the riechter scale of lame but it works for me.

For those who claim they don't belive in God because of logic then think about this. Those who don't believe in God go to hell (bible, quran) or at least a lengthy purgatory (church doctrine) so if you belive in god it saves a lot of after-life time if god does exist and it wont matter if he/it doesnt. hows that for logic?

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
2492 said:
I, Personally, Believe (allusion to Miss South Carolina 2007- youtube it) that like totally like God is whatever you want him/it to be. Some people say God is simply love while others insist that he is a infinately complex entity beyond our comprehension (most agree with this).

The people who read this thread fall into one of three categories. Those who believe in God (they will say so and try to convince others), those who do not belive in god (they will say so and try to convince others) and finally those who are unsure (they will read it and either ignore it or make a judgement only to be later rejected).

Anyways. I used to not belive in God but one day i woke up and saw everything differently. About a 10 on the riechter scale of lame but it works for me.

For those who claim they don't belive in God because of logic then think about this. Those who don't believe in God go to hell (bible, quran) or at least a lengthy purgatory (church doctrine) so if you belive in god it saves a lot of after-life time if god does exist and it wont matter if he/it doesnt. hows that for logic?
Thank you again for being the billionth person to state Pascal's Wager.

HSC
moll. said:
Thank you again for being the billionth person to state Pascal's Wager.
If only i'd known i was in a forum with the world's largest f self-appreciateing intellectual prick I might've scaled up the argument a bit.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
2492 said:
If only i'd known i was in a forum with the world's largest f self-appreciateing intellectual prick I might've scaled up the argument a bit.
Well you should think about these things beforehand.

cookiis

HSC
http://www.pureinsight.org/node/1893
Kwayera said:
What a stupid site.
not a stupid site :) think again.
lots of things that we know today were unknown to ppl in the past. so how did people find them? they dared to explore the unknown
if ppl just shook each matter off as being impossible, how could science develop to this day? we'd think that we couldn't travel to the moon, and we'd get cynical about everything.
for example, we don't know if there'll ever be a cure for cancer, or ms or a variety of incurable diseases today, or if we'll live tomorrow, or this, or that, and maybe we dont know if god exists. but without believing in something and having faith that it will be a success, how can it be achieved in the first place? there are people who have faith, and there are people who have faith in different things. isnt faith in God the same? Then, couldn't God exist? Perhaps gods cant just reveal themselves so easily to those who dont believe, maybe they arent worthy of seeing.
Anyway, whether or not God exists isn't to be determined by us humans. If they exist they exist, end of discussion, whether we think we know otherwise.
think again lol maybe you dont understand, which is fine, but dont call things stupid just cos it doesn't suit your own views... its called.. being skeptical and narrow-minded.

Last edited:

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
it's like how people used to think that thunder was a sign that the gods were angry

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
cookiis said:
think again lol maybe you dont understand, which is fine, but dont call things stupid just cos it doesn't suit your own views... its called.. being skeptical and narrow-minded.
Have you read the site? It IS stupid, and stupidly written.

Look, skepticism by definition is having an open mind - skeptics, however, also do not suffer fools nor foolish notions lightly.

We don't believe something just because someone thinks it might be/should be true. If that were the case, then I'd be off searching for the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

kokodamonkey

HSC
Kwayera said:
Have you read the site? It IS stupid, and stupidly written.

Look, skepticism by definition is having an open mind - skeptics, however, also do not suffer fools nor foolish notions lightly.

We don't believe something just because someone thinks it might be/should be true. If that were the case, then I'd be off searching for the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
Thankyou for the southpark reference Cat :)

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
why would people invent something that required them that essentially required them to (before jesus) sacrifice their animals all the time, and for them to do good things.

people don't want to live good lives.
why would they make it up.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
gibbo153 said:
why would people invent something that required them that essentially required them to (before jesus) sacrifice their animals all the time, and for them to do good things.

people don't want to live good lives.
why would they make it up.
People didn't invent anything. Those in power did. By laying down divine rule and control, it has enabled them to better control and manipulate the populace. You'll notice the historical parallel between the liberalisation of Western religions and the growth and development of democracy.
Th reason religions preach for the populace to do good and "moral" things is that those religions which do this are better able to survive. Because religion is often inexorably linked to local culture and customs, a tribe in which murder, (but also theft, rape, incest and assault) are banned is far more likely to survive and thrive than a tribe actively involved in all of the above. Thus, because the tribe thrives, their culture and religion do likewise.
As for animal sacrifice, very few people would have actively engaged frequently within this process, and would have done so only upon special occasions. However, i can see no rational reason behind this custom. But, as noticed with my explanation above and the fact that such practices are now virtually wiped out, it may be that memetics has caught up with this practice and because it has no virtue to society, it has now been forgotten.
But the primary reason for a belief in religion is as an emotional comforter. Life is hard, right? But it's made significantly less difficult if you believe that there is an omnipotent, omniscient god above, watching over your every action throughout life and guiding your hand towards a higher purpose. In this way, you are special.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)