Does God exist? (8 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Dis Amrahs

HSC
Kaeye said:
I don't know whether God exists or not, and neither do you.
thats my point! Can you say yes or no, or can you only believe yes or believe no? Of course, the latter would disprove the absolute existence of God. Goddamn im confused.

Last edited:
C

CyanideChrist

Kaeye said:
I don't know whether God exists or not, and neither do you.
If you don't know he doesn't exist, then, for all you know, I could be him. Therefore, I would know that I exist, invalidating your statement. So, the correct statement is "I don't know whether God exists or not."

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
CyanideChrist said:
If you don't know he doesn't exist, then, for all you know, I could be him. Therefore, I would know that I exist, invalidating your statement. So, the correct statement is "I don't know whether God exists or not."
That was a ridiculous, pedantic argument.

HSC
Will someone please show me the part of the bible where it descriebs hell cos it doesnt. I like the part about killing babies and stuff.

Olympus15

HSC
Getting into intelligent design, you cant merely assume that there had to be a supreme intelligent being who created everything can you? If youre arguing that you must belive that an even more supreme being created the supreme being who supposedly created everything

Olympus15

HSC
squiresshane990 said:
Will someone please show me the part of the bible where it descriebs hell cos it doesnt. I like the part about killing babies and stuff.
Hell is not generally mentioned in the bible (particularly the old testament) except the book of revelation. If you want to take that book in all seriousness that is up to you, but to me those prophecies seem quite ridiculous

Hajime

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
This thread is for discussions about whether God exists.

I created a similar thread a long with the same title but I eventually deleted it because it became a monster. I am reluctant to recreate this thread, however such discussions about God are encroaching on a number of different topics and should be contained.

I strongly suggest that anyone taking part in this thread read the Fallacies section of the argument guide.
I know the meaning of life. Does that help?

Hajime

HSC
That would be telling, but OK... For Enteebee.
The meaning of life, according to my logic view of it, is the state of animate existance.

Anyone agree with me?

Dis Amrahs

HSC
Hajime said:
That would be telling, but OK... For Enteebee.
The meaning of life, according to my logic view of it, is the state of animate existance.

Anyone agree with me?
.. consciousness because it is nothingness, makes us aware of the possibility of choosing what we will be. This is the condition of human freedom.

being and nothingness

CIV1501

Banned
HSC
but it was the meaning of lief. sif im even spamming. and stop banning me, it isn't funny anymore

samtrotman

HSC
It is difficult to prove or disprove the existence of a god. The concept of a god implies a being that is beyond the realms of normal human comprehension and outside natural restraints. It is impossible to disprove God to a religious person using science as they believe that their God is beyond the realms of science.
The question of whether a God exists is fairly ambiguous and can not be easily resolved. Very few atheists I know claim to be able to disprove the existence of God. Most do not believe in a God's existence because they believe there is insufficient evidence.

I believe that rather than trying to disprove the concept of God, it would be more useful to judge each religion and use history and rational thinking to decide whether that religion is based on truth.

Christianity, for example, relies on Jesus, the physical embodiment of God who died to solve humanities problem of sin and restore humanity's relationship with their creator. When approaching Christianity critically, one first must examine the historical reliability of Jesus (most people will agree he did exist as a human), then the character of Jesus, and finally his divine nature. If one can prove that Jesus wasn't God, then Christianity is not true.

I'm not going to assert my own opinion on the subject because I don't claim to be an expert on either point of view. But I believe that it's important to approach questions of religion with sensitivity and rational thinking. These are the big questions of existence and are worth considering seriously.

samtrotman

HSC
Olympus15 said:
Hell is not generally mentioned in the bible (particularly the old testament) except the book of revelation. If you want to take that book in all seriousness that is up to you, but to me those prophecies seem quite ridiculous
And for the record, the book of Revelation is not a book of prophesy. When considering Revelation in its 1st Century context and as an address to the 7 specific communities in Asia Minor. The book, rather than a prophesy warning of the end times, is actually warning these specific early Christian communities against conforming to the Greco-Roman culture that surrounded them.

The letter is written cryptically, an example of the is 'The Beast', whose number is 666. Many people believe this to refer to Satan, where as historically it is more likely to refer to Nero or Caligula using a common Hebrew code. The letter is cryptic due to its blatant attacks on these powerful figures.

Revelation is not a prophesy predicting the end of the world or the second coming of Christ. It merely addresses issues faced by the 7 churches that it was specifically addressed to. :)

Oh, and Hell is mentioned frequently in the bible. I don't know where you got this idea that it is mentioned more often in Revelation. Hell is described in various ways, but consistently represents separation from God.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)