Does Geography scale your UAI down a lot? (1 Viewer)

cs01001

HSC
Hey,

Does Geography scale you down alot? If I am aiming for a 93+ UAI, what kinda mark should I be getting in the assessments / HSC exams?

Other subjects I do in Prelim are Advance, 3 Maths, Economics, Modern, Chemistry and Yeah Geo. Prelim course is kinda boring though. :sleep:

Thanks

jason21

HSC
Geograhy doesn't scale down at all. However, it doesn't scale up neither. So if u want a UAI of 93 and u do 3unit maths and adv eng im guessing that if you get an average of around 80-85 u should be fine as long as u go pretty well in english and maths.

And if ur referring to the prelim geog course being boring, it is. But HSC geog is so much more interesting.

HSC
it might scale it down if you go bad in it, just like if you go bad in any other subject. just get above the state average or something like that (whatever it is) and you will be sweet

cs01001

HSC
jason21 said:
Geograhy doesn't scale down at all. However, it doesn't scale up neither. So if u want a UAI of 93 and u do 3unit maths and adv eng im guessing that if you get an average of around 80-85 u should be fine as long as u go pretty well in english and maths.

And if ur referring to the prelim geog course being boring, it is. But HSC geog is so much more interesting.
That's good to hear! Thanks for the help guys :wave:

bahhh

HSC
Yeah I am a little worried about my geography too, but as Watatank said, like all subjects if you go badly you'll scale down... Mind you geography is just about knowing each section of the course well enough for short answer or essay questions.. And spending sometime going over the infinately annoying skills.. But if you do well in the skills section its totally worth it.

expertdkx

B.IT Network Security
HSC
Uni Grad
well what i heard from people that all subjects are equal
but if a subject that has alot of people undertaking then it would scale down however on the other hand if it a rare, not much people undertaking that subject then the marks would scale up
think about it this way
if the Middle-East said no more oil exports
surely our oil, petrol prices will rise
therefore if they say yep take all oil then both the oil and the petrol price will gradually decreases.

abbylee

HSC
Our geography teacher seams to think that geography will get you a BIG PHAT UAI.
she tells us all the time.
she basically thinks were gunna ace it.
so aim high. Phat UAI.
it should do you good.

later;

thepaperman

HSC
Hey - Geography DOES scale REALLY well; if you get 90 or above, it scales better than English, Economics, Business Studies, Legal Studies, etc. Possibly on par (relatively) with 3 unit mathematics?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
thepaperman said:
Hey - Geography DOES scale REALLY well; if you get 90 or above, it scales better than English, Economics, Business Studies, Legal Studies, etc. Possibly on par (relatively) with 3 unit mathematics?
What is your source of information? It is not true. Absolutely not. 45/50 = 90/100 (aligned mark) in Geography is 38/50 = 76/100 scaled mark. This is mcuh worse than both English (Advanced) and English (Standard), Economics, Legal Studies. It is possibly higher than Business Studies by the way.

My source of information is 2007 Scaling Report and you can download from the UAC website. It is not even in the vicinity of the scaled mark of Mathematics Extension 1.

thepaperman

HSC
oooo

Sorry, you're right. I was basing my thing on the results a friend achieved - a 94 in Geography, the rest of the subjects weren't done so well, but he achieved 98.55 UAI. However, I now realise he was in the 99th percentile... so obviously, then, a 94/100 scales well. So yeps! A

nything below a 94/100 kids, and Geography is like a penis in your face.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
thepaperman said:
Hey - Geography DOES NOT scale REALLY well; if you get 90 or above, it scales better than English (Standard), Aboriginal Studies, Design and Technology, Textiles, etc. Possibly on par (relatively) with general mathematics?
Corrections ^^ :D

ahal2123

HSC
I did many subjects I was advised not to do due to scaling... but if you do well in them.. they pay off. I did Geography, Biology, Earth and Environmental Science, PDHPE, 2 unit maths and Advanced English and ended up with a UAI of 99.8
Pays to take the subjects you enjoy.

juleswinnfield

HSC

u absolute fool... u may have just destroyed someones UAI
2007: 45/50 in geography gets scaled down to 38/50
in 2009 the only way to not get scaled down is to get above 97 or around the high 90s, gettin the average is like getting raped. dont ever comment on something u havent done research on especially when the person requesting advice takes it seriously.

Bourne05

HSC
As long as you do well in your other subjects I think it should be fine. I did geography, chemistry, biology, earth and environmental science, maths and advanced english and got 96.35.

shanshan6

HSC
Our geography teacher seams to think that geography will get you a BIG PHAT UAI.
she tells us all the time.
she basically thinks were gunna ace it.
so aim high. Phat UAI.
it should do you good.

later;
HAHAHAHA.
Mine says the same thing, AbFab :p
Big Phat UAI
BPU.

anyway. theres no use worrying about what mark your going to get.
all you need to worry about is knowing your stuff.

shanshan6

HSC
I hate the whole Scale thing.
You do the same amount of work in everything.
and a 70% is a 70% no matter what subject your doing.
Its all at HSC level so why does Physics ect scale better.
gay gay gay

shanshan6

HSC
u absolute fool... u may have just destroyed someones UAI
2007: 45/50 in geography gets scaled down to 38/50
in 2009 the only way to not get scaled down is to get above 97 or around the high 90s, gettin the average is like getting raped. dont ever comment on something u havent done research on especially when the person requesting advice takes it seriously.
Way I see it.
noone really understands how it works anyway.
Posting on here can give you a general idea, but i dont think anyone takes the advice given seriously, because its written by someone who has about the same amount of knowledge as you.
so just do your best and you might be suprised about your mark. because obviously noone knows exactly how much a mark is scaled up or down.

davox

HSC
What is your source of information? It is not true. Absolutely not. 45/50 = 90/100 (aligned mark) in Geography is 38/50 = 76/100 scaled mark. This is mcuh worse than both English (Advanced) and English (Standard), Economics, Legal Studies. It is possibly higher than Business Studies by the way.

My source of information is 2007 Scaling Report and you can download from the UAC website. It is not even in the vicinity of the scaled mark of Mathematics Extension 1.

But thats 2007 scaling. Scaling changes every year, based on how well the state goes. Theres no point in relyig upon 2007 scaling, when that is irrevelant. eg. last year standard english got scaled HIGHER than advanced english.
Thats so stupid, why would you even bother looking at previous scaling when it depends on the state in that given year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)