Does Gen Maths Scale U Down (1 Viewer)

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
LOL joe u sounded like me this time last yr. i dropped 2 general and got a 81 all up. it didnt end up counting 2 my uai. but regardless, dropping general gave me more time 2 focus on my other subjects, instead of wasting time learning (or trying 2 learn) the bs in the mathematics course. if u got the units, say 12 or 13, i would recommend dropping 2 general. even if u cant get a band 6, im sure it wil allow u 2 focus & spend more time on your other subjects

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
fornstar said:
LOL joe u sounded like me this time last yr. i dropped 2 general and got a 81 all up. it didnt end up counting 2 my uai. but regardless, dropping general gave me more time 2 focus on my other subjects, instead of wasting time learning (or trying 2 learn) the bs in the mathematics course. if u got the units, say 12 or 13, i would recommend dropping 2 general. even if u cant get a band 6, im sure it wil allow u 2 focus & spend more time on your other subjects
ill c if i can drop
but what if i cant!!!

Scanorama

HSC
joe_m_2000 said:
ill c if i can drop
but what if i cant!!!
If you want to drop to General Maths, you better to it on first day back to school. Get your parents to sign a premission letter and hand it in to the maths head teacher on the first day. You might need to catch up a little bit but if you work hard enough, it wouldnt be a problem. Good luck :)

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
umm considering you have already missed the whole prelim course as well as a term of year 12 (which is like 2-3 topics) i wouldnt be surprised if they dont let you.. just creates alot more work for your teacher and yourself (i hope you arent thinking because its supposedly 'easy' it wont be hard to catch up).
in term 1/2 of year 12 you will have many assessments as well as exams to study for.. so i really cant see anyone putting in an extra couple of hours every day for general maths to learn the course when theres a whole lot of other things to be done. if you were contemplating it at the beginning of year 12 i would have recommended you drop so you can start fresh with the year 12 course and teach yourself the prelim one in the 6 week break (as in the hsc they can test you up to 30% on prelim work) but personally i think its way too late and if you do 12 units id just deal with maths not counting and work harder on everything else

Scanorama

HSC
If you know most of the Year 10 maths and part of the year 11 2U works, you shouldnt have too big problems on catching up. I did advanced in year 10, and 2U in year 11. And I found catching up wasnt a big problems to me. Although the HSC exam does cover up to 30% of the prelim work, however, if you know everything of the Year 12 work, that shouldnt be a problem. Your school should also give you both Year 11 and 12 textbooks when you change class. Study with both textbooks and you should be fine. General maths is a fantasic course

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
yes it is a fantastic course, alot easier to apply it in life
joe goes to gilroy and im sure he would have to go and buy both textbooks himself.. id prob go for buying the excel book cuz it has both courses (which i actually have if anyone wishes to buy it lol)
i just dont understand why you would leave it this late to change.. i know some people who changed term 2-3 in year 11 because they were failing 2u maths consistently.. but why would you leave it a whole year?

goan_crazy

HSC
Heres something to make this all a whole lot more complicated...

ok well i thought i was going alright in 2 unit -thats by my skools standards but...
i got 51% in year 11 for the 2 unit exam but the rest of 2 unit failed...
i came 1st in the grade...how fucked is that
and around 30 3 unit people beat me
but i got the maths award...i felt i didnt deserve it lol coz the mark was so crap
well anyway now heaps of 3 u ppl have dropped and i got 48% for the 1st 2 u assessment which was really shit... failed it
now hearing that...
what should i do...
stay with 2 unit and struggle
or drop 2 general?

Trev

stix
HSC
joe_m_2000 said:
ok well i thought i was going alright in 2 unit -thats by my skools standards but...
i got 51% in year 11 for the 2 unit exam but the rest of 2 unit failed...
i came 1st in the grade...how fucked is that
and around 30 3 unit people beat me
but i got the maths award...i felt i didnt deserve it lol coz the mark was so crap
well anyway now heaps of 3 u ppl have dropped and i got 48% for the 1st 2 u assessment which was really shit... failed it
now hearing that...
what should i do...
stay with 2 unit and struggle
or drop 2 general?
how many people do mathematics, and how many people do ext at your school? if you came first in adv (bar the ext ppl) thats pretty good! how many ppl in ur grade n stuff...

goan_crazy

HSC
Trev said:
how many people do mathematics, and how many people do ext at your school? if you came first in adv (bar the ext ppl) thats pretty good! how many ppl in ur grade n stuff...
well theres 2 2unit classes
also my teacher was a wanker last year
so i changed classes but then found out he was leaving at the end of the year (2004) after i changed
now when skool goes bak i wanna go bak 2 my old class coz i like the ppl in there better
so yea ive seen both 2 unit classes
the 3 u ppl who have dropped (about 10 of them) r heaps smart
their marks were over 85% for that last 2 u assessment

goan_crazy

HSC
from my class in yr 11
2 really smart girls...who were coming like 4th and 5th in the class or somethin dropped down 2 general
same with another smart dude
these ppl r all school leaders at my skool 2 lol
but they dropped 2 gen maths n r liking it heaps more than 2 u
but they dropped last term...
once we started geometrical applications of calculus... :eek:

elissa

Water xXx
HSC
mate dont feel bad. my highest mark all through year 11 and now in year 12 would be 57% and that was the first assessment in year 11.

My friends are doing general maths, and with some of the stuff, i helped them to do, coz it was basic stuff that i had learnt in year 10(doing advanced).

try to drop it, its a silly thing, unless u wanted to be a actuarist or sumthing like that.

wen i go back to school i'm gonna try and drop it, i will post if i have success or not

craz

HSC
I have to disagree. Gen Maths is great for learning about things in life. 2U u never will have to use unless you do maths at uni! Not everybody is born smart, Gen maths is a great alternative for some.

goan_crazy

HSC
elissa said:
mate dont feel bad. my highest mark all through year 11 and now in year 12 would be 57% and that was the first assessment in year 11.

My friends are doing general maths, and with some of the stuff, i helped them to do, coz it was basic stuff that i had learnt in year 10(doing advanced).

try to drop it, its a silly thing, unless u wanted to be a actuarist or sumthing like that.

wen i go back to school i'm gonna try and drop it, i will post if i have success or not
ok sure elissa
tell me if ur successful in a PM or something :p good luck
if i cant drop i guess i jus gotta keep on struggling at it ay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)