Does anyone have information about font choice? (1 Viewer)

timmay05

HSC
Times New Roman was a font devised for computer monitors. As such it looks good on a screen, however there are far superior looking, easier to read Serif fonts out there if you take time to look. But yeah, seriously do not print in Arial, it can be quite hard to read for some people, find an alternative font maybe.

The three key serif fonts I use in mine are Garamond, Bookman Old Style, and Book Antiqua.

Garamond is a good replacement for Times New Roman, but some people find it a bit small. If you think it is too small, then I'd say use Book Antiqua because it is just like Times New Roman but appears better on printed paper! Everyone has their own favourite fonts though! It is an extremely personal thing!!!

timmay05

HSC
bigwillz said:
yeah, i doubt someone is gonna pull out the ruler, let alone take a mark off for having your text a few milimetres off. this convo is starting to get trivial, hell why dun you hand write it in calligraphy with the finest giant squid ink and peacock feather.

because it says it has to be printed. So to do this you would need to spend a week scanning, and converting these images into a font, then have fun with the kerning and spacing etc.!!!

waterbottle

your buttcheeks is warm
HSC
not even caps, as long as it's not cursive.

but as for noticing the difference between 1.5 and 2 spacing, the markers are looking at number of major works each, i don't think it would be terribly difficult to pick up on it. it might not matter, but i do think it would be noticable (to them).

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
At the end of the day it's the words that matter, not the spaces between them...

bigwillz

Bigwillz
HSC
N/A
timmay05 said:
because it says it has to be printed. So to do this you would need to spend a week scanning, and converting these images into a font, then have fun with the kerning and spacing etc.!!!

what are you, like a idiot or something?

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
timmay05 said:
Times New Roman was a font devised for computer monitors. As such it looks good on a screen, however there are far superior looking, easier to read Serif fonts out there if you take time to look. But yeah, seriously do not print in Arial, it can be quite hard to read for some people, find an alternative font maybe.

The three key serif fonts I use in mine are Garamond, Bookman Old Style, and Book Antiqua.

Garamond is a good replacement for Times New Roman, but some people find it a bit small. If you think it is too small, then I'd say use Book Antiqua because it is just like Times New Roman but appears better on printed paper! Everyone has their own favourite fonts though! It is an extremely personal thing!!!
Only retards would have trouble reading Arial. Isn't the font of the bored of studies forum closer to Arial than times new roman? Do you have trouble reading BoS? I certainly don't.

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
Not that verdana/arial are particularly hard to read, but they've done studies that show times new roman to be less of a strain on the eyes, especially over extended lengtsh of time (which is how long it'd take to read a hundred or so major works).

Insouciance

HSC
I seriously cannot grasp the fact you're arguing about fonts. Do whatever the hell you want but don't bitch if you lose the marks. Simple as that. I plan to follow guidelines though.

offscone

HSC
Seeing as i asked the original question, i thought i'd mention that i got my teacher to ring up BOS, and basicly you can use whatever font and size you like, as long as it adds to your work, and you can make a strong point about this in your reflection statement. If you cant make a strong point about it, or you cant fit it into your reflection statement, i say dont do it. It might seem trivial, the guidelines, but the last thing you want to do is have your marker open your work and their first impression is that you cant veen stick to somethign as simple as font choice. I mean, you don't want to piss them off as a first impression. I'm sure theres some cool markers that wouldnt get annoyed, but i know theres plenty of anal ones.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Insouciance said:
I seriously cannot grasp the fact you're arguing about fonts. Do whatever the hell you want but don't bitch if you lose the marks. Simple as that. I plan to follow guidelines though.
Well you are obviously a completely uncreative person then. Just because you're not a font-fiend, there's no need to be so jealous.

waterbottle

your buttcheeks is warm
HSC
i agree with offscone. if you really think it adds to your work THAT much, then do it. but i wouldn't want to risk annoying the markers.

bigwillz

Bigwillz
HSC
N/A
bigwillz said:
this convo is starting to get trivial, hell why dun you hand write it in calligraphy with the finest giant squid ink and peacock feather.
its at this stage i rekon i am cool enough to quote myslef.

Please, for the sake of your own coolness, or what remains of it stop arguing over fonts, your making fools of yourself.

HSC
Insouciance said:
lol !

so true.

i want to make mine in georgia, size 12. it pretty much looks like times new roman but a little bit rounder/nicer looking. still very easy to read though.

krystalp

HSC
i change the size and type of font depending on the character speaking. i also change colour according to mood. is that ok?

Seung.Hur

H2O
HSC
As long it isn't excessive, and if there's a point to it, other than "it looks nice". Size, font AND colour to me seems excessive. It should really be used to emphasise something key. If you're not sure whether or not its going to really add something to your work, just don't do it (at this stage).

You'll just confuse yourself further, and it'll turn into a war of colour this, colour that, oh noes, what is black going to portray? Could the reader read it as darkness? Could they see it as neutrality of mood? Does that suggest the upperpart of my work is emotionless? I don't want that, I'm going to colour everything black into red! What about fonts.... etc. etc.

Keep it simple. Keep it safe. You've only got less than one week left. You have far more dire things to consider. Like getting it published...

OutOfOrder

HSC
i used a different font/color and narrative style for 3 monologues in my short story, and yeah it's there for a reason

jusdorange said:
i want to make mine in georgia, size 12. it pretty much looks like times new roman but a little bit rounder/nicer looking. still very easy to read though.
Yeah, i want to use Century Gothic for that reason as well, but i think im risking it a bit with the color, so sadly i'm going to change it to times new roman...

Insouciance

HSC
fleepbasding said:
Well you are obviously a completely uncreative person then. Just because you're not a font-fiend, there's no need to be so jealous.
Whatever helps you sleep at night. I'm just observing that BOS put guidelines out for a reason; if you lose marks for not following instructions, I'll be in the corner laughing.

Font-fiend? I have 399. I just chose to use them when it's appropriate.
:rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)