does anybody know the chemical equation for... (1 Viewer)

2opinion8d

kittyfr33k
HSC
hey
does anybody know the chemical equation that represents the reaction between zinc (an amphoteric metal) and sodium hydroxide??
thanx for ur help!

my text book only has the reaction between aluminium and sodium hydroxide
2Al (s) + NaOH (aq) + 6H20(l) → 2Na [Al (OH) 4] (aq) + 3H2

but i can't seem to find out what the reaction would be for zinc.

Last edited:

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
2Zn(s) + 2NaOH(aq) + 2H2O(l)--> 2Na[Zn(OH)2](aq) + 5H2 (g)

Last edited:

2opinion8d

kittyfr33k
HSC
thanx! ill put that equation in my chemistry prac....
by da way who is enjoying prelim chemistry...
is everyone up to the 2nd module "metals"

what do u think the best option module is for HSC chem.
i think my skool does industrial chemistry.

airie

HSC
We're up to Metals too. Ahh not good, stomachache throughout the chem prac this morning which counts for 15% >.<''' Even as of now I am hunched here in front of this computer bearing the annoying pain :/

csuwai

BOS Member
HSC
mm.. my class is goin too faast.. i cant catch up properly.. its not just me, its the whole class.. we r abt to finish the topic of water next week..

HSC
i dont think you're going too fast.. we finish water around next week or week after and our assessment for it is a couple of weeks.. so i dont think you're going to fast...

anyone disagree?

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
prelim chemistry is rubbish compared to hsc chem!!

hsc chem is actually interesting. yeh, industrial chemistry is an awesome option module too... not too easy and not too hard :)

csuwai

BOS Member
HSC
at least u get notes.. our teacher expects us to already know what he teaches us, even though we dont have textbooks from the school.. my chem teacher expects that we all had tutoring, and just skips the parts he doesnt like

Cammop

HSC
csuwai said:
at least u get notes.. our teacher expects us to already know what he teaches us, even though we dont have textbooks from the school.. my chem teacher expects that we all had tutoring, and just skips the parts he doesnt like
Thats exactly what my teacher expects of us and we are about half way through topic 4: energy and fuels and i dont really know what is going on. Although i somehow managed 70% in the half yearly...somehow. Is anyone else this far through topic 4?

:jedi:

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
hahaha yes, that's the same with my chem class, it seems if he just skips most of the 'unimportant' parts, eg: we skip areas of metals such as trends...

airie: 2Zn(s) + 2NaOH(aq) + 2H2O(l)--> 2Na[Zn(OH)2](aq) + 5H2 (g)
I have no clue of how you got that...all I know is: metal + acid --> H2 + metal.salt

My class has a small class test on water tommorrow, and so this is the last week on water, just like most of you all. So I guess we're all moving at the same pace.

airie

HSC
yoakim said:
airie: 2Zn(s) + 2NaOH(aq) + 2H2O(l)--> 2Na[Zn(OH)2](aq) + 5H2 (g)
I have no clue of how you got that...all I know is: metal + acid --> H2 + metal.salt
on water, just like most of you all. So I guess we're all moving at the same pace.
I asked my teacher about that one and she gave me that :p Snce zinc is amphoteric (ie. shows a degree of both acidity and alkalinity), it is able to react with a hydroxide too, and water takes part in the reaction as well, so you end up with sodium zincate + hydrogen. Don't worry about it too much, I don't think it's in the syllabus. Ask 2opinion8d why does his teacher test it :p

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)