does ANYBODY enjoy their text for english? (1 Viewer)

kuroneko

HSC
Fair enough. It's just that guy was getting on my nerves, I got a bit carried away :p

bassistx

HSC
bansdontwork said:
Your argument is terrible. People do advanced because they are capable at English and will get a much better mark than they would if they did standard.

You'll find most people hate at least one of the texts they have to study, saying you should like it because you chose is it ridiculous, so shut up.
Actually, I begged to go down to Standard. I had the potential for Advanced and my Standard teacher gives me the dirties every time I pass by her. She thinks it's ridiculous I'm dropping - I just need to do the work, blah blah blah..

But when you hate a text and it's gonna be a major part of your exams, you are definitely better off getting 100 in Standard than 50 for Advanced.
Point is, I dropped because of Shakespeare.

And for God's sake, he's already dead. No need to to make a fuss about it :p

imqt

Premium Member
HSC
emma is killing my life...THE MOST BORING BOOK...I skim read the whole thing and i have only managed to get through half the book in 7 weekks

Butters!

HSC
I finished Brave New World last night and thought the second half of the book (after John is introduced) was pretty decent. I'm happy with all but one of the texts im doing for the HSC (King Lear, purely because it's Shakespeare and i heard it's one of his hardest to deconstruct). I am good when it comes to understanding a text but need to improve on writting my ideas and concepts onto paper lol.

Hysterik

HSC
Reading the 50th Gate was like my slow and painful death. I couldn't believe large chunks of the mother's story, her mum jumped off like three freaking trains bound for the death camps?

And the French Lieutenant's Woman is just dull.

Prosper

HSC
I enjoyed all of Brave New World. Blade Runner is a bit of a boring Sci Fi movie though, why couldn't they have picked something else.

Immigrant Chronicle (at least the poems we have to do) is alright but I preferred the poet I did in Year 11.

King Lear is a big thumbs down for me just because it is Shakespeare, I hate trying to understand it.

Frontline should be good.

bassistx

HSC
Prosper said:
King Lear is a big thumbs down for me just because it is Shakespeare, I hate trying to understand it.
You understand my pain lol. I don't think we'll be touching on Shakespeare in Standard though. I hope not anyway :)

I didn't say I was gonna get a hundred in Std. Eng.. lol Just saying...

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A
Didn't think Lear and Bladerunner was 2 bad... Loved BNW and Frontline though. Would definitely read and watch again!

Am I the only person who thinks "The Shipping News" is boring?

Butters!

HSC
I think its good doing BNW and BR together as the two share a very similar moral message relating to the creation and manipulation of life (even though BR is kinda boring because its sooo slow).

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
Hrmmmmmmm i'm liking Brave New World, but haven't watched Blade Runner yet.
I thought the Immigrant Chronicle was really good, and easy enough to anaylse.
I like many Shakespearean works but am dreading King Lear. Eeeek!

cazchik

HSC
I HATE most of mine... Skrzynecki and 'Emma'.... Extension ones are fairly good though.
You're lucky if you enjoy them, it will be easier to concentrate on it!

Artemis.

HSC
I don't mind Skrzynecki, but I really, really don't like Emma :(
Looking forward to King Lear and Frontline though.

hked

HSC
well i finished cloudstreet a while ago and thats amazing....umm related texts aint bad either,

Zrap

glock9
HSC
We finished journeys ages ago. We read lionheart, what a pez book
that was. Way too repetitive.
Now were doing transformation. Emma is the worst book ever.
Easy 18th century text, nope. Exciting novel, nope. Clueless the movie
is just as bad.

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
i quite enjoyed BNW/BR, and especially Frontline, Journeys was a bit tedious cos of all the poetry (Skrzynecki) and King Lear....well at first it was only JUST bearable but strangely enough by the time the HSC exams came around it actually seemed ok.
i mean cmon why fight it? If you hate your texts you're just not gonna wanna study and you still have to study em no matter what

Hysterik

HSC
I LOVED Coleridge especially the Rime of the Ancient Mariner. I also love Brave New World but unfortunately I'm not doing it.

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
We're doing Ender's Game for English... I didn't like it. It seems most people in my class did, but then again most of my friends are males and are into sci-fi and I am not interesting in this genre at all. Mind you, our english teacher picks the shittest books ever so Ender's Game wasn't anywhere near as bad as some of the other ones we have done with him for the past 3 years such as "The Giver" "Catcher in the Rye", "Boys of Blood and Bone" and "Cry the Beloved Country".

We are reading Hamlet at the moment, i don't mind it, but that may just be because I played Gertrude in a production of it two years ago so I have many fond memories of that experience and I already know the story line.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Caitlin63 said:
We're doing Ender's Game for English... I didn't like it. It seems most people in my class did, but then again most of my friends are males and are into sci-fi and I am not interesting in this genre at all. Mind you, our english teacher picks the shittest books ever so Ender's Game wasn't anywhere near as bad as some of the other ones we have done with him for the past 3 years such as "The Giver" "Catcher in the Rye", "Boys of Blood and Bone" and "Cry the Beloved Country".

We are reading Hamlet at the moment, i don't mind it, but that may just be because I played Gertrude in a production of it two years ago so I have many fond memories of that experience and I already know the story line.
i'm doing enders game aswell.
i liked it, although i hate sci fi.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Hahaha, Ender's Game. Read it in Year 9, thought it was shit. The only good thing that came out of it was the lol interpretive dance our group got to perform, that was the best thing ever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)