Does any one has notes on Dulce Et Decorum Est (1 Viewer)

sleepycat

I am writing this essay on Wilfred Owen's poety for my assessment task which is due in the 1st day back next term... Does any one has notes on Dulce Et Decorum Est?

s2ophie

HSC
i did that in year 11. i'll have a look but i dunno. i'm sure you could fnd heaps if you looked around on the net. its not like he wasn't half famous!!!

sleepycat

anyway... does any one has the annotated analysis of "Dulce Et Decorum Est" ?? I dunno the name of that textbook thats has this analysis.... but it seems realli GOOD... i really want the analysis of this poem...

Well... let me give u more info... on the header.. it says "Close Study of TEXTS" .. i think it comes out of the " Senior English Standard Modules and Electives teacher Resources".. If someone has this analysis plz send me a copy... :D

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
Dulce

Hi - I might be able to help out, we studied Dulce last year in yr10 and i happened to like that poem the best out of all we did and i have some excelent notes on it.

k here goes.

The poem has a strong iambic pentametre - which symbolises the slow march of the soliders. Teamed with alliteration which promotes the rythm of the march this makes for effective 'sound' if u will for the poem.

The title itself is mildly ironic. When transalated it says 'How sweet(noble/fitting) it is' and at the end is finished with Pro patria mori (to die for ones country). However the death that is described is in no way nobal or an honorable way to die. Its disgusting and the soliders are presented in a very pathetic and sorroful light - they do not resemble the heroic war hero in anyway.

The first stanza. - The first two lines have very strong imagery brought about by a simile and description, Owen creates empathy for them, we can not help but feel sorry for them as they suffer. Its a very laid back, i guess you could say, stanza with a strong pathos to it.

This is contrasted in the second stanza. It's quick and sharp (use of puncuation) "Gas! Gas! Quick boys!-" Its fast and upbeat, we are not really ready for this to come after the last stanza, symbolic of war in a way - the quick fire that is bombarded on the troops.

My teacher used to love the quote
"Dime through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, i saw him drowning."
The symbolism is really amazing, as we can really see how this man is suffering. Owen has reached out and grabbed out sences. Everyone knows how bad drowning is and what would be happneing to this man. Drowning is used to empasise teh pain and most of all the helplessness. And if thats not enough, he adds and atmosphere for the whole thing that really empahsis this.

The 3rd stanza he starts to accuse us in a way, he turns from being somewhat of a narrator to taking dirrectly to us in first person.
"If in some smothering dreams, you too could pace"
he places us in the shoes of teh soliders and makes us feel as if they do, feel their pain and sorror.

Thats my analysis of the poem, with thanks to my yr10 notes, so i hope that helps u with ur essay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)