• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does age matter? (1 Viewer)

aurel

HSC
I really didnt know which forum to put this in, but as there's no general uni forum, i thought here mite do...

I'm thinking of going to uni next year, possibly usyd or uow, but i'll only be 17 next year. I know this wont affect me getting into a course, but what about the social life? Is being underage going to affect the whole uni experience alot, because i was thinking of deferring for a year for that reason.

Any advice? Thanks :)

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Well obviously it will. You cant go to pubs, clubs, unibar.
If you lived on campus it wouldn't be as bad though

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Well you're not at uni..

Most the social events at uni's are at the unibar and you have to be 18 even to be in the area when there is an event on, other than that i'm pretty sure you can hang around there.. but no point in deferring if you're just going to be at home when your friends go out to clubs/pubs etc :?

drewbrow1

(Ninja)
HSC
It wasn't much of a problem for me. Most events at uni were all ages. You can always get beers at society BBQs and whatnot. This was at unsw btw.
It'll be over after a year or two anyway and you'll be able to go where you please, plus you'll be a step ahead of other kiddies your age.

lala2

Banned
HSC
I'm 17 and I won't turn 18 till next year, halfway thruogh my second year. I haven't found it an issue. I wholeheartedly agree with Anti-Mathmite--it's overrated. Uni is about finding your own kind of fun--if that means not legally being able to get drunk, do something else! Uni is not just a bunch of SubSki parties (USYD'ers all know that SubSki parties are infamous for drunken hookups, orgies and the like). That's what other clubs, societies, and volunteering opportunities exist for. And if nothing else, you'll be so frantic trying to fit in first semester that by the time you get any space to enjoy yourself, it's already the other half of the year.

CandE

HSC
When I started I found that most of the others doing my course hadn't turned 18 yet. I don't think it is a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)