• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do you use first person? (1 Viewer)

oxyray

goodluck.
HSC
is anybody using the essays?
im having a terrible hard time finding anything on them. I just want confirmation that what i am writing is correct - English teacher is of no help.

ashleighjade

HSC
I find it so incredibly hard to use "I", "My", etcetc in essays! You know, considering the fact that in every single other on we do it's third person based...

I think (lol) that, honestly, the markers will realise it is your interpretation of what you have gained from the text, whether you write it formally (third person essay) or rather informally (first person essay)...

I will be writing in observer format tomorrow: topic sentence, evidence (quote/technique/blahblah), effect (thesis/question/relevance to modern society/blahblah). First person feels so... informal to me. =S

I just really don't feel comfortable responding to it in first person unless it's the last line of the conclusion: "I feel these ideas are represented to the best of Shakespeare's ability..." blahblahblah textual integrity (again) blahblahblah relevance to modern society blahblahblah...

And finish with the footer "Hamlet sucks ass!!" - JOKES... =\ I would be killed, and the markers would be like lol, no, you fail! And I would be killed again... =(

(Oh, and, yes... I did emphasise my I's at the beginning of every paragraph just then because, well, now you can see how repetitive and annoying that is... Imagine thousands of essay responses set out before you like that... =O...)

Last edited:

Bunzhou

HSC
It's really up to you.. whatever you feel comfortable writing in. You can always convey a personal response by writing in 3rd person.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)