Do You think...??? (1 Viewer)

vogue

FaShIoNiStA
HSC
does your body image[positive or negative] including males and females effect the way you dress or the certain lifestyle you have ...............
cause i know just recently at work and the certain styles in clothing [skinny legs] it somewhat effects people seriously as in they get mood if they dont suit their bodies or clothes dont fit them at alll

i just wanted to know??? if this happen to any one eles cause it sure gets to me sometimes..... like damm mini skirts

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
yup it does. im a guy, and i dont dress nekkid as often as i should because of my body.

vogue, do you work for vogue magazine?

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
Sometimes.

I have a mild scoliosis so i dont feel confortable wearing figure-hugging clothes, as it seems to accentuate it. So even though people always tell me "you can get away with wearing anything..." well its not really true.

And while i am on the critical analysis of my body, i have 'flat feet' which appears to result in my knees being a certain way, which means i dont feel happy wearing anything that shows off too much leg (i mean, casual is ok...but not for going out). Ooh and the stellar whiteness of my skin may also contribute.

And in response to the lifestyle part...well in general i think that the majority of people who are happy with their body (and have been most of their life) may seem to have more self confidence, be more outgoing, etc, etc which will of course impact on their social life and the activities they do.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
i couldnt care less what myself or anyone else looks like. i dress for comfort and according to the weather/season. fuck dressing to impress people.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I've had issues with my body ever since I was a young teen. There are parts of myself such as my upper arms, that I still never leave uncovered in public. That's a problem spot for me and I have major insecurities about it. But generally as I've gotten older I've come to accept my body shape and learnt what clothes to wear that accentuate the parts of myself I like. :)

Last edited:

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
im usually happy about how i look. i usually dress in whatever i pull out first, but there are special occasions when i dress super nicely, like parties/balls/dinners/formals. i like wearing pretty clothes, dressing up and looking good, but its not something i think about all the time.

thinking about trendy stuff, ive never gotten into the whole skinny jeans thing because id look so bad in them. im not a stick, i have hips and thighs, so id look gross in them. i guess they're good for skinny boys and stick girls. too bad i have curves haha

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
I'll be honest. I like to look good, I like it even better when I know that other people think I look good (but don't we all). Mind you, I try to hide all of this under a thick layer of modesty - it's not nice to be overly vain or conceited in public. :)

That being said, I'm a firm believer in that we should wear what best suits us. My legs look stupid in a miniskirt, they would look even more stupid in those skinny-leg jeans/pants (hence why I refuse to wear them). Hide what you don't like, and show off what you like, I say :)

On a tangent note, I get really frustrated when people think that wearing a particular article of clothing (eg miniskirt) is the only way to achieve a particular style. You can be sexy without showing an inch of leg or cleavage, you can also do the 60s thing without having to wear skinnyleg jeans. If it doesn't look good on you - no matter how "popular" it is - for crying out loud, don't wear it!!!! lol

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Yeah this skinny jean craze worries me. I've read so many fashion columns telling me that skinny jeans are a "must have!" for this season :)rolleyes:). When you consider that the average australian woman is a size 14, and skinny jeans are best pulled off by,well, skinny people, there's going to be an awful lot of girls walking around looking like "upside down triangles" as someone penned it in the other thread.

vogue

FaShIoNiStA
HSC
glitterfairy said:
On a tangent note, I get really frustrated when people think that wearing a particular article of clothing (eg miniskirt) is the only way to achieve a particular style. You can be sexy without showing an inch of leg or cleavage, you can also do the 60s thing without having to wear skinnyleg jeans. If it doesn't look good on you - no matter how "popular" it is - for crying out loud, don't wear it!!!! lol

i totally agree with you

chloe169

finance yo
HSC
Lundy said:
Yeah this skinny jean craze worries me. I've read so many fashion columns telling me that skinny jeans are a "must have!" for this season :)rolleyes:). When you consider that the average australian woman is a size 14, and skinny jeans are best pulled off by,well, skinny people, there's going to be an awful lot of girls walking around looking like "upside down triangles" as someone penned it in the other thread.

AVERAGE SIZE 14?!

farrrrrk we're a bunch of fatties

HSC
my body image definitely affects what i dress. i avoid wearing pants or jeans (even in winter) because i hate hate hate my upper thighs. also, i usually buy lots of clothes but alot of them i don't wear because i end up changing clothes at least 3-10 times before i go out anywhere because i think some part of body looks stupid/fat/ugly. also, when i find a brand/label or style of pants/skirts/tops/etc that i find mostly suits me , i tend to stick with buying the same brand/label or style, not matter what the price.

also the thing about skinny legs, they don't suit everyone, i think some people should burn their skinny legs and forget about wearing them ever again.

arrested development
HSC
chloe169 said:
AVERAGE SIZE 14?!

farrrrrk we're a bunch of fatties
Yeah but that's the average Australian "woman" - ie. that includes all the old fatties with their middle-aged spread. I think the average for young women would be smaller.

In regard to the topic, yes of course my own body image is going to affect what I wear. Why the fuck would I wear something that made me feel gross and fat? I'd like to think that I don't let Vogue et al dictate what I wear and that I don't blindly follow stupid trends. I have a pretty set way of dressing that I know suits me and doesn't make me look ugly and fat.

It's hilarious to see all the mindless fashion victim girls who will wear things like skinny leg jeans even though it gives them that foul "triangle legs" look. Some people are so dumb. Skinny jeans only suit about 0.01% of females. Fact.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
i think as we mature we learn to accept that some trends arent right for us.

i used to be able to wear just about anything, but recently my body shape has changed. now i am a little self concious about my upper thighs and butt. thus, i dont wear tight skirts or short shorts but i love to wear feminine styles that flatter my waist.

its important that you can have an objective view on current styles and judge honestly whether or not they really do suit your shape and size.

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
glitterfairy said:
yeah but that's probably an American size 14, which is an aussie 12. Convert that into "couture" sizes, and it makes it roughly an aussie 1
actually she's 70kg. which is 5kg heavier than me. im a size 12. she's also shorter than i am. also, american sizes are a size bigger than ours. i'd be an american 10. thus she's actually an american 16. ive worked in retail for 2 years, i know that.

im sick of everyone being all like "omg size 14 is soooooo fat" because seriously? im a 12 and im not fat at all. im actually smaller than average for my height, since im 178cm. size 12 is not fat, neither is size 14. how abouts you get over it. yep. yep. yeh cool.

just because im not a stick and i have hips doesnt make me fat. it means i actually look like a woman. wow. newsflash. and that actually makes me sexy.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
azzie said:
you know mariah carey is a size 14 and she aint fat at all.
With airbrushing she doesnt appear fat. But she rather 'solid'.

On the cover of Rolling Stone she is airbrushed to the hilt. In particular her arms and legs. Gah wont let me post the image.

I mean there is some good airbrushing going on here

There was always that rumour that her minders have to remove the size 14 tags from her clothes and replace them with size 6.

http://www.hollywoodrag.com/index.php?/weblog/comments/mariah_carey_in_size_denial/

Last edited:

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
I spend ridiculous amounts of money on rare sneakers that most people think look ugly.

But I feel so fly in them that I couldn't care less.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)