Do You Think You'll Do A Postgraduate Degree? (1 Viewer)

Postgrad?

• Yes, I've got it pretty much planned

Votes: 26 36.1%
  • Maybe, Maybe Not...

Votes: 35 48.6%
  • No.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Sif I'm planning so soon

Votes: 6 8.3%

• Total voters

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I've been thinking a lot about postgraduate degrees, been talking to a lot of people, phone calls etc.

I'd like to do a Masters in Design Science (Audio & Acoustics) @ USYD... It's another 1.5 years full time.

Anyone else considering Masters, Diploma etc? If so, when? Straight after the degree or?

Who has hopes for a PHD?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Most likely LLM, and, less likely, MBA.

nwatts

HSC
i want to do a pdh so i can rightfully command people to call me dr nick

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Yep, it'll be an MCA(Creative Writing) or an MTeach(Secondary) or a GDipJourn.

I'd do either the teaching or journalism ones right after depending on which area I find more attractive to work in, then when I'm a bit older I will do an MCA part time.

I wouldn't touch a PhD with a ten foot pole though, as its almost useless for the communication and education industries and if I'm gonna publish something that big then I'd rather it be something I can actually get some money for.

Last edited:

nwatts

HSC
i'd way prefer to be a tutor. waayy.

lecturers have too much work on and cop too much shit from people like me.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
I want to anything that'll give me a whole heap of letters after my name. :uhhuh:

;)

turtleface

HSC
Komaticom said:
Lecturers get paid so much more though...
hahahahahahahahahahahaha no way!

per hour for what they lecture maybe, but no way, lecturer pay is totally shite compared to what similarly experienced people get outside academia

but this is monetary remuneration only, I'm sure theres more utility gotten out of contributing to knowledge and research, helping students achieve their potential, influencing young minds etc.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm assuming all you 'prospective masters students' haven't looked at the cost of this. Especially those who selected non professional masters programs like the OP where it will be close to impossible to get funding for. Hope you have deep pockets.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
For some reason postgraduate degrees that are Research based (as opposed to Coursework) are free at our uni, provided that you finish them in the set amount of time?

Is this across other universities?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
For some reason postgraduate degrees that are Research based (as opposed to Coursework) are free at our uni, provided that you finish them in the set amount of time?

Is this across other universities?
At UTS, if its a research pg course then you can compete for an RTS place which has free tuition (though you still have to pay on-going academic related costs). Anyone else who either does not get in to an RTS place or does it part time must pay full fee.

missgtr said:
Anyhence. Instead of Honours should I just jump from my Bachelors to Masters?

and (sorry about all the questions..) because we all get 7 years ft study under hecs, can a phd and masters be used up on that? Because i'm paying fully upfront for my 4-5 years right now, so i'll have 7 years later on..
With the Honours, sometimes if you do well enough in it you can skip right to the Doctorate level and avoid the Masters business. So I guess its up to how well you think you'll do.

And I don't think any Doctorates (PhD or otherwise) comes under HECS - though I think research degrees are covered with a differen scheme depending on the uni (see above), some coursework based Masters degrees do have CSP though, but not alot of them.

Last edited:

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
I plan on doing a Masters of Teaching (Early Childhood) which will enable me to teach from birth to twelve years..

And I can do it by correspondence, so I can teach once I graduate my Primary degree :D

X

xeuyrawp

Yup, start next year. If all goes as planned, it should only add half a year.

kami said:
and if I'm gonna publish something that big then I'd rather it be something I can actually get some money for.
zomg, full PhD scholarhip + tutoring in the mean time + several research grants + published thesis + paid-for overseas thesis presentation?! Sifn't go for PhD. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
HSC
Masters of Finance. It is too hard to be a 'fully rounded' analyst without it and alot of management-type positions have that a pre requisite.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Yup, start next year. If all goes as planned, it should only add half a year.
How does that work? Aren't you only going into the honours in 2008? Or do you mean the pre-honours subjects?:confused:

zomg, full PhD scholarhip + tutoring in the mean time + several research grants + published thesis + paid-for overseas thesis presentation?! Sifn't go for PhD. :(
I somehow don't see myself getting a full scholarship, and I'll probably be tutoring anyway at some point. The idea of not being out there doing what I want to do by the time I am thirty is a bit of a drawback as well...

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
The more I bring up my future to lecturers about how I am starting honours subjects next year and how I want to do a Masters in Design Science later, the more they urge me to do a PHD instead.

I can't see any good that comes out of a phd besides possible research grants, prestige, self education and possibly being a well paid lecturer.

Is this why people do phd's? Is there anything else that's a plus about it?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
Is this why people do phd's? Is there anything else that's a plus about it?
you forget the kudos dear. ;)

you can introduce yourself like, "just call me, Dr Ur_Inner_Child."

phatic

HSC
Eh, I'll most likely do Honours in the B. Mus(Comp) and then possibly go on to Masters or Doctorate or something. It all depends on what's involved though - I don't have much of an idea atm. Composition projects would be easy, but I'm not too keen on research/analysis.

Being able to get a job as a lecturer would be quite handy, incase I don't make enough money as a composer, and have to fall back on something - that would be my main reason for doing it, other than enjoyment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)