Do you think the average Australian hates America/ns and if so why? (1 Viewer)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I think anti-americanism is just a fad.
I honestly don't think there is a basis for it what-so-ever, other than that we think we're just the nicest nation on earth and when we go on holidays to poorer countries we don't feel like we're king shit.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I partly agree in that our generation is likely to oppose the war in iraq because their idols do...

As a side note I think the stereotypical australian (bushman) hates the stereotypical american tourist (think loud hawain shirt, paunch, arrogant, annoying kids).

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Grobus said:
You do realise the irony of calling a nation with over a quater of a billion people, most of which you will never meet, "arrogant"?

White Rabbit said:
But the average American is probably just like us - unfortunatly, it's the gits we see mostly, rather than the average american.
Seeing as how you missed the end of my post, thought I'd just repost for you.

Like I said - it's the rich, arrogant kids who we meet and more importantly, we remember. I have met a fair few decent Americans, but like most things in life - we remember and emphasis the bad ones. In the case of Americans, the majority I've met are arrogant gits, but I realise there is the 98% of the population I have never met, most of whom are undoubtly normal, level headed people.

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
America ayy... Mother of the Earth and yet the earth has never experienced such turmoil since the world wars... now really cowboy Bush wat did u think u were doing storming into Iraq ehhh buddy? And the sad part is, normal American civilians die so that he can brag to the world about erradicating "Terrorism." Who's the real terrorist when you kill innocent people without justification? Aussies hate Americans... I don't see y not

vTr

HSC
i believe american society in general are very ignorant,
i understand that statement was ignorant but im generalising here ....

berghousemaa

HSC
nick1048 said:
America ayy... Mother of the Earth and yet the earth has never experienced such turmoil since the world wars... now really cowboy Bush wat did u think u were doing storming into Iraq ehhh buddy? And the sad part is, normal American civilians die so that he can brag to the world about erradicating "Terrorism." Who's the real terrorist when you kill innocent people without justification? Aussies hate Americans... I don't see y not
I don't think the Earth is in much turmoil. Unless you count the tsunami, but I know there are some people that would argue that was America's fault too. Except for a frucas in Iraq and some more serious incidents in Africa thta have been ongoing ever since the Poms left everything is pretty stable

Europe, fine.
Nth Ireland is dying down
Russia, Chechyans are as active as they always were.
China,Japan,India are all doing pretty well.

It's all a lot better than during the cold war and the turmoil in Est Europe after communism collapsed.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
In the words of Paul McDermott Americans don't care what the rest of the world thinks of them. Mainly because Amnericans still havn't grasped the concept of 'The Rest of the World'

I think that is a pretty fair statment - most Americans I've spoken to, whether in person or online, haven't really got much of an idea of what occurs outside America (or, the glossed over Middle East atm) mainly because American government/media feeds the public so much propaganda that they get a rather distorted picture anyway.

I think it's more double standards of the Governments that annoy the rest of the world. Arming the likes of Osama Bin Laden to fight the Soviets, Helping Iraq to win the war against Iran - and ignoring the human rights violations them such as the gasing of Kurds, because it suited their cause.

Africa, however, is a big reason to question the United States. In 1986, the US was found guilty by the World Court of “unlawful use of violence” (international terrorism) for its actions in Nicaragua. Ther States then promptly vetoed a Security Council resolution, leaving them unaccountable for their actions.

Furthermore, in 1998 under Clinton, America bombed the Al-Shifa plant in Sudan to 'find terrorism'. They believed the plant had the potential to created Biological Weapons. As a result of the destruction of the plant, livesaving medicines the facility once produced were no longer available, causing Sudans death toll to quietly rise from the original bombing, resulting in the deaths of tens of thousands of people - many of them children - to malaria, tuberculosis, and other treatable diseases. Al-Shifa provided affordable medicine for humans and all the locally available veterinary medicine in Sudan. It produced 90 percent of Sudan’s major pharmaceutical products. Sanctions against Sudan make it impossible to import adequate amounts of medicines required to cover the serious gap left by the plant’s destruction. Sudan no longer had access to the medicine required for Malaria, or treatment for TB, as the Plant was the only one producing TB drugs-for more than 100,000 patients, at about 1 British pound a month. Al-Shifa was also the only factory making veterinary drugs in the mostly pastoralist country. Its specialty was drugs to kill the parasites which pass from herds to herders, one of Sudan's principal causes of infant mortality. Furthermore, Sudan lost a major export base. Look at Sudan now, the nation is in Civil War.

As someone mentioned - America is against WMD, planning pre-emptive strikes on those who have the 'potential' to create them, yet the USA is the only nation in history to ever have used them.

Last edited:

dimzi

OMGWTFBBQ
HSC
vTr said:
i believe american society in general are very ignorant,
i understand that statement was ignorant but im generalising here ....
I oh so fucking agree!!!

"We have the largest economy and military, so go fuck yourself (insert country here, except Israel)"

Not to mention their complete ignorance towards the environment! They have soooo much waste, everything comes in like 20 bags (ok, exaggeration, but whatever) and basically they dont know what a 'clothesline' is, they just use the driers.

As I said before, arseclowns!

vTr

HSC
dimzi said:
I oh so fucking agree!!!

"We have the largest economy and military, so go fuck yourself (insert country here, except Israel)"

Not to mention their complete ignorance towards the environment! They have soooo much waste, everything comes in like 20 bags (ok, exaggeration, but whatever) and basically they dont know what a 'clothesline' is, they just use the driers.

As I said before, arseclowns!

zactly.

there ignorance towards australia, ohh so you got "kangaroos everywhere eh?"
"so how many aboriginals do you know 30? 50?"

K

katie_tully

HAHA. How amusing.

Your views of America are based on stereotypes, just like theirs are of us.
You're annoyed they think we all put shrimp on the bbq, and are slack jawed yokels, yet you're doing the exact same thing by generalising that all Americans are ignorant.

Why the double standard?

vTr

HSC
katie_tully said:
HAHA. How amusing.

You're annoyed they think we all put shrimp on the bbq, and are slack jawed yokels, yet you're doing the exact same thing by generalising that all Americans are ignorant.

Why the double standard?

you dont know how often i think of that but disregard it thinking back to the times ive had conversations with americans

:)

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
^^ Got a point. Americans see us a Steve Irwins and Crocodile Dundee, because it's what we promote. We see Americans as gits because it's what we see in the small ammount of Americans. And George W. Bush. The Government is hardly commendable, but I reckon the average person in America isn't too different from ourselves. We just don't see the 'Average American', just as they don't see the 'Average Australian'

vTr

HSC
White Rabbit said:
^^ Got a point. Americans see us a Steve Irwins and Crocodile Dundee, because it's what we promote. We see Americans as gits because it's what we see in the small ammount of Americans. And George W. Bush. The Government is hardly commendable, but I reckon the average person in America isn't too different from ourselves. We just don't see the 'Average American', just as they don't see the 'Average Australian'

americas a hole.

dimzi

OMGWTFBBQ
HSC
katie_tully said:
HAHA. How amusing.

Why the double standard?
Well what i said is more about the US government and tnc's (the bastards).

Sure their would be people in the US just like us, just not in the south :p:p

frenchie

HSC
With all this theorising about the American psyche, why not hear it straight from the horse's mouth?

http://www.truthout.org/multimedia.htm

This guy did a series of short films in each of the Bible Belt "Bush Country" states. Hilarious viewing. I don't feel superior to these people or feel compelled to label them "rednecks", the simple fact is they are grossly misinformed and led by the preacher from the pulpit. When the interviewer probes them with questions about the economy, or the War, or health care etc it becomes totally apparent that they are voting against their own self-interest - they just don't know it. From what we can see "Rural America" is sad and dried up.

"Why is abortion wrong?" he asks "Because its in the Bible" says the man, "Does it matter that the number of abortions has remained static since Roe v Wade, and they are performed in a safe environment?" "No the woman will just have to deal with it". I kid you not. Simplistic world view = dangerous.

Last edited:

firehose

HSC
Mind u, redneck America isn't the only place in the world u'll find a simplistic world view, it's just that ppl just love to pick on it.

berghousemaa

HSC
frenchie said:
With all this theorising about the American psyche, why not hear it straight from the horse's mouth?

http://www.truthout.org/multimedia.htm

This guy did a series of short films in each of the Bible Belt "Bush Country" states. Hilarious viewing. I don't feel superior to these people or feel compelled to label them "rednecks", the simple fact is they are grossly misinformed and led by the preacher from the pulpit. When the interviewer probes them with questions about the economy, or the War, or health care etc it becomes totally apparent that they are voting against their own self-interest - they just don't know it. From what we can see "Rural America" is sad and dried up.

"Why is abortion wrong?" he asks "Because its in the Bible" says the man, "Does it matter that the number of abortions has remained static since Roe v Wade, and they are performed in a safe environment?" "No the woman will just have to deal with it". I kid you not. Simplistic world view = dangerous.
While we're at it,let's blame the Abos out at Kimberley for being lazy and useless. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with poor education standards and isolation.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
berghousemaa said:
While we're at it,let's blame the Abos out at Kimberley for being lazy and useless. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with poor education standards and isolation.
they are able to become part of civilisation and get an education.......no ones stopping them.....

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
People in africa, working with the lowest possible standards manage to come out and work hard...

I think that the education should be there (incase some aboriginals want to gain an education and become respectable leaders for their race). But at the moment i think it's more of a social problem, the government will keep giving aboriginals money, treating them like anyone else on welfare, just keeping them in the dark and stopping them from stealing shit from us.

Social change needs to take place, hopefully more aboriginal leaders will come forward that can focus on the issues which matter to aboriginals, like better education in their communities, ending corruption, helping fight alcoholism...
Too much focus has been put into the 'sorry' campaign, which is basically - POINTLESS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)