Do you think climate change is real, and man made? (1 Viewer)

Is climate change real, and is it man made?

• Total voters

Existential

HSC
N/A
The 'right' side of Politics columnists and letter writers to newspapers are a joke how they claim that climate change is a Greens/New World order/'other nutjob theory' conspiracy theory.

Do I think humans have an effect on climate change? Absolutely. However, how big or small that effect is remains questionable when you consider only 3% of the Earth's carbon emissions are from Human induced activity (the remaining is from natural process, volcanic eruptions etc).

There are tens of thousands of scientists worldwide who support human induced climate change and in my opinion, these scientists are a heck of a lot more qualified than myself or the climate change deniers/denialists out there. There are a lot more credible scientists supporting climate change theory than going agaisnt it. In the end it comes down to the 'Precautionary Principle', if climate change is human induced and we do nothing to combat it the effects will be devastating. if climate change is not human induced, reducing our carbon footprint is still a good thing.
This shouldn't be a right wing v. left wing political debate - yet it is (thanks to Tony Abbott). The politics we find ourselves in is a debate over how to deal with climate change by reducing carbon emissions. I also believe that climate change is real and we should act to mitigate our carbon footprint (I also base this on the 'precautionary principle' - although i am not for applying the precautionary pronciple to other areas like religion), then an ETS/carbon tax is necessary. However, those who deny the need for an ETS/carbon tax are split (ie. the Liberal Party has previous leaders John Howard and Malcolm Turnbull - now a front bencher, in support of the market-based mechanism the Labor Party are going to introduce.. I will note that only half the Coalition is opposed to the carbon tax).

Existential

HSC
N/A
I hate these politicians, they simply act like children and don't understand 'order'. That is why I think that the government should be consisted of individual independents and not just two damn parties. This is like one half of the room against the other half. WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS?
Of course the best is that multiple people express their opinions and the prime minster effectively collects them and makes policies from them. Just wish Australia get away from two party state and adopt a like say 50 people state.

50 OPINIONS > 2 OPINIONS

Actually how many seats are there in the parliament?
There are 150 seats in the Australian Parliament (1 is taken by the presiding officer so in actual fact there are 149 available for debate). I agree with you that parliament needs to be more ethnically diverse than 1 asian and an aboriginal etc. However, idk exactly how 149 independents could legislate. I suspect, due to human nature, that the independents within themselves would form coalitions/alliances and we would be back to a party-like system of adversarial politics. Unless of course you are referring to communism? : P I think its the people that should change - not the institution completely but i wouldn't say no to some substantive reform.

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
I don't think people would elect some stupid loser who is bias and can't stand criticism into the government. Plus we can vote for the law to be passed or not. The prime minster can alter the changes if needed.
... what

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
What you're arguing for is greater representation

which is a return of power to the states

then split the states based on population...

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Hydrorage's English is clearly better than that of you Lolsmith and most of your fellow trolls here. I know you are from Mt Druitt Lolsmith/Christian though, so lol...

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
never change, news.com.au commenters

Greg Combet mentioned taxing Methane with Ray Hadley today. The truth is sneaking out.
mike rafone (Reply)
Mon 07 Mar 11 (04:40pm)

Chemical Ali replied to mike rafone
Mon 07 Mar 11 (06:14pm)
What do you mean sneaking out? Methane is a greenhouse gas, it would always have been part of a ‘carbon tax’.
It’s pretty funny how conservatives think they understand enough science to “disprove global warming” (lol.) but don’t even know what a carbon compound is.

mike rafone replied to mike rafone
Mon 07 Mar 11 (07:26pm)
Keep trying Chemical Ali, when did Methane become Carbon Dioxide.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
never change, news.com.au commenters

Greg Combet mentioned taxing Methane with Ray Hadley today. The truth is sneaking out.
mike rafone (Reply)
Mon 07 Mar 11 (04:40pm)

Chemical Ali replied to mike rafone
Mon 07 Mar 11 (06:14pm)
What do you mean sneaking out? Methane is a greenhouse gas, it would always have been part of a ‘carbon tax’.
It’s pretty funny how conservatives think they understand enough science to “disprove global warming” (lol.) but don’t even know what a carbon compound is.

mike rafone replied to mike rafone
Mon 07 Mar 11 (07:26pm)
Keep trying Chemical Ali, when did Methane become Carbon Dioxide.
Ahaha that's hilarious!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)