• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do You Support the Death Penalty? (1 Viewer)

Do u support the death penalty

• Total voters

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
This was done, but ages ago in 2002, and methinks it's time for another round of discussion, debate and all-round harmless fun.

Q: Do you support the death penalty.

Me: No, not under any circumstances.

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
No, there is no crime worth taking another person's life for. It doesn't work as a deterrent, and it just encourages a culture of vengence - the idea that physical suffering/death will bring "closure" to a victim/their family. Because what comes after that? Corporal punishment for lesser crimes? Eye-for-an-eye punishments? Vigilantism?

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
wat do u mean it doesn't work as a detterent,
of course it bloody does

wen i walked into cairo airport, there was a big sign that said, any persons found with illegal goods is liable to be executed by hanging, it gave me the shock of my life to see something like that in reality.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
gordo said:
wat do u mean it doesn't work as a detterent,
of course it bloody does

wen i walked into cairo airport, there was a big sign that said, any persons found with illegal goods is liable to be executed by hanging, it gave me the shock of my life to see something like that in reality.

crime will still carry on

i dont think its a proper detterent either- but in the end what really is? nothing will ever stop crime totally

the death penalty is more a show to make society and the legal system feel justice has been delivered in situations where fear is arised for the safety of people within society.

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
i says no. never.
i think life is really precious. and murdering a murderer makes u a murderer too.

edit: say that 10 times fast lol

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
0Jade0 said:
That would be manslaughter
I'm talking about 1st degree murder
yeah, you have a point here. I believe that also, what gives you the right to go out and kill someone then get a slap on the wrist from the Australian government. The laws of this country are too soft, you can essentially "get away with murder," excuse the clichè.

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
HSC
isn't that "An eye for an eye?"

and I don't think the government will take that quote seriously, announcing that our world is beyond that, kind of defeating the purpose of religion. Which ofcourse is sad, but a totally different subject. There are many shades of grey when living by theories such as these, after all some murders can never be proven to be murder.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
no1 gets away with murder

personally i think letting someone rot in prison is alot worse than taking thier life just so you feel justice has been served...

you want a deterrant?? give longer and harsher gaol terms and let the public see what goes on in prison- its not very nice at all

criminals may think theyre tough, but i think a nice reality check on always having to keep an eye out for someone who doesnt like in the prison is spooky

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
HSC
thejosiekiller said:
no1 gets away with murder

personally i think letting someone rot in prison is alot worse than taking thier life just so you feel justice has been served...

you want a deterrant?? give longer and harsher gaol terms and let the public see what goes on in prison- its not very nice at all

criminals may think theyre tough, but i think a nice reality check on always having to keep an eye out for someone who doesnt like in the prison is spooky
that's all fine and dandy but there are a set of rules for the working class and a totally different set of punishments for the rich and famous. Justice is in most ways far from achieved in Australia. It would be nice if they rotted away in prison, but they don't. There are so many loop-holes and flaws in the system that money can buy you out of. It's a mockery really, I think the legal system has to become more strictly regulated. Not a very reliable source however, everyday there is some report on ACA investigating the lack of justice felt by families who have lost someone to murder. That's what we see, what else goes on???

eljay080

HSC
thejosiekiller said:
ah the memories of legal studies r coming back to me now
Thats why you learnt it. To give out the information that you learnt and share it with others!

djmattyd

HSC
I agree, a life or long-term prison sentence is far worse than the death. The death penalty is the most immoral punishment that one can give.

Who are we to take someone's life away? It is not our right; even if this person has taken the life of someone else, we should show that we are above their crimes, not at their level.

And, even in the age of forensic science, we cannot be 100% certain that criminals are guilty. What if we were to take the life of some poor, innocent person, and then realise our mistake? We cannot grant life back to them, we have already taken that away.

I am glad we live in a country which saw the inhumane punishment which is the death penalty; if only those nations which still have it could see, such as Indonesia, in the case of Schapelle Corby.

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
HSC
djmattyd said:
I agree, a life or long-term prison sentence is far worse than the death. The death penalty is the most immoral punishment that one can give.

Who are we to take someone's life away? It is not our right; even if this person has taken the life of someone else, we should show that we are above their crimes, not at their level.

And, even in the age of forensic science, we cannot be 100% certain that criminals are guilty. What if we were to take the life of some poor, innocent person, and then realise our mistake? We cannot grant life back to them, we have already taken that away.

I am glad we live in a country which saw the inhumane punishment which is the death penalty; if only those nations which still have it could see, such as Indonesia, in the case of Schapelle Corby.
hmm... yeah that's justified.

This argument has no end, there are casses where you could kill a person because of what they've done. I suppose you don't really have any empathy with the victims until you actually are the victim. What if someone killed your sister/brother or gf/bf... U'd freak, u'd want their blood. I guess it's just not your place to act... Still think the legal system is dodgy.

0Jade0

HSC
Asquithian said:
There is no such thing as first degree murder in Australia. It's just murder.
I realise this
maybe the australian justice system should take something from america in cases like this.

HSC
beccaxx said:
i says no. never.
i think life is really precious. and murdering a murderer makes u a murderer too.
exactly. what right does a government have to say 'right, you killed someone, so now we get to kill you?' shouldn't whoever executes that person be executed as well? its messed up.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
nick1048 said:
that's all fine and dandy but there are a set of rules for the working class and a totally different set of punishments for the rich and famous. Justice is in most ways far from achieved in Australia. It would be nice if they rotted away in prison, but they don't. There are so many loop-holes and flaws in the system that money can buy you out of. It's a mockery really, I think the legal system has to become more strictly regulated. Not a very reliable source however, everyday there is some report on ACA investigating the lack of justice felt by families who have lost someone to murder. That's what we see, what else goes on???

wells thats another issue altogether

youve moved from the issue of the death penalty to what i guess ppl refer to as institutionalised inequality...

yes i know how issues facing the legal system most often work together against notions of justice and equality, but thats what reforms is for!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)