• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do you 'still' like Uni? (1 Viewer)

So...

• YES

Votes: 35 39.8%
  • NO

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • Half-Half

Votes: 32 36.4%

• Total voters

Eeko

Banned
I'm having a fukin Ball

ok the administrative side of uni is really shit, no one gives a shit about u and if u want to sort something out, it's all up to urself and running about the campus in 40 degrees heat isn't very pleasant.

but as far as work is concern, I'm keeping up, anything i dun get if resolved by the tutors. I only got 13 hrs so i got heaps of free time to hang around and do otherstuff.

the workload will get harder but i like the freedom

HSC
Originally posted by Sarah168
y is law shit?
law is shit cos its boring, and the teachers r fuckwits. atm 'law' is just history and english - the two subjects i hated most in high school.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by krayziekarnevil
law is shit cos its boring, and the teachers r fuckwits. atm 'law' is just history and english - the two subjects i hated most in high school.
no offence, but what did you expect?? its not going to take the entire course to learn how to say 'i object!!'
there was a thread somewhere a while back, about someone dissing law and how boring the study of law is.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
You don't learn courtroom advocacy skills.

If you want to get more out of your law degree, do law society stuff both comps (like mooting) and the social stuff.

HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
no offence, but what did you expect?? its not going to take the entire course to learn how to say 'i object!!'
there was a thread somewhere a while back, about someone dissing law and how boring the study of law is.
yes i really expected it to all be about saying 'i object' :/

cheesegrater

Overlord of the universe
uni is great, the freedom compared to school is great, the only thing i dont like is that for maths with have a different lecturer for algebra and calculus so its kinda like two in one and one of the lectures is some old guy who has been doing maths so long he has a symbol for EVERYTHING, you feel like you are reading heiroglphyics. other than that its great most of my courses are small there is only 25 ppl in geol which is cool, compared to some commerce subjects with ~500! (ANU)

Ribbon

Yeah the stat lecture at anu is crazy... like over 500 people packed into the biggest lecture theatre on campus! I must say I am not finding it too badly, but I am not taking it so serious either... I barely do any work outside uni hours (cept for the reading/work I know they are going to collect or pick people out of the crowd to answer Qs). The way my subjects are panning out is:
Commerce: Bus reporting and alalysis = yr 12 bus studies
Quantitative research and analysis = yr 12 maths wsith a few new fancy words thrown in
Law: Foundations of Australian Law = yr 12 legal studies
Torts = totally fucking awesome... like nothing i've ever done before!

I like all my lectuers except the two business ones are just plain wierd and the stat guy knows what hes talking about but the subject bores the crapper out of me so I generally nod off... The foundations of aus law lectures are pretty boring/standard but the seminars are 100% worth while. The torts tutes are great too!

I will probably shit myself when it comes to exams ect. because I have done little or no work but I generally feel like I understand everything and should pass ok. I put uni as half-half cos I know I probably should do more work and the social scene is kindof crap because it is hard to spend time with your new friends around both of your timetables!

Generator

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by johnson
someone yesterday told me something pretty interesting
first year students realise how fucked uni is and how much self-learning you have to do, esp compared to high school. and they whinge and whine a lot about the workload

second year students realise that they don't give a fuck anymore and realise that you only need to pass and that should be enough

third year students are lucky they didn't drop out after second year
It's true, although after realising that you cruised through second year third year can seem like a real bitch...

If you can make it through second year then you can make it through anything as far I am concerned. As johnson implied, dropping out after second year is more likely to be caused by realising that you really could not care rather than being due to poor grades.

Last edited:

Dave85

HSC
so far: the more i go the more i get used to it. I hated it after o-week. UTS o-week was a let down. I cudnt find anything in the 1st week but now im getting more and more used to it. I dont love it , but the more i go the better it gets. I hate economics atm but love accoutning. I hav a kickarse lecturer 4 accoutning. Its exciting coz its all new. I cudve gone 2 UoW wit all my friends but i'd prefer to be outside my comfort zone a little bit. Sure, atm its not 2 great but the more i go the better. ATM im 50/50 on liking and disliking uni. Give it time tho and i'm sure i'll grow 2 like it.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
There are too many people in my tutorials for them to be constructive.
By the way, how many people are in your tutorials:)?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
There are about 26 or so people in my tutes, too many for everyone to get involved in the discussion. One of the tutors was saying that there should only be about 12 people in each tute for my course.....

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
the only think that i don't like about uni right now is the fact that there are so many people smarter than me! :(

lol it's depressing

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Panda Bear
hehee.... people's expectations are too high!
people on this site warned us of that last year, so i went in expecting the best and the worst, and am pretty much right in what i expected

tutes - one of mine has about 20, and others 30 to 40. it's ok though, atm i don't feel we need too much help, it's all very organised so you can go and look ahead at the notes
Originally posted by jezzmo
i am so much more motivated to work now that i don't have the threat of detentions etc. The fact that they don't care is a plus to me, because it really adds a sense of independance that it is up to us. I hate being spoonfed. That said, they'll always be willing to help and it's usually not the fact that "they don't care" but rather "there's too many of us to show any personal compassion".

In lectures, I'm finding it easier get motivated to concentrate than in school, because I know it won't be repeated. And if i don't understand something, all the lecture notes and other notes are on the uni website.
i think this was a legit post from you? not bs? because if that's true, i agree. it's easier to be motivated when you know it won't be repeated, yet not too stressful because if you NEED the info it's on tape. and everyone is QUIET!! in lectures

the fact that don't care makes me want to work, there's nothing i hate more than people looking over my shoulder and asking me if i have done things, when i WILL get around to doing it.

the explain things pretty well, having the notes means you know what has to be and what has been covered
Originally posted by redslert
the only think that i don't like about uni right now is the fact that there are so many people smarter than me! :(
it can be hard when everyone wants to work, and there is more competition!

Last edited:

izi

HSC
ppl ppl, your expectations seem a bit too high. uni is not like in the movies where all you do is party and enjoy the fact that its not compulsory to show up to classes (ie. lectures)
uni is HARD work! and it is a lot of HARD SELF-LEARNING work which is a big change for those people that are used to spoon-feeding learning methods in high school.
just stick with it, work hard(er), dont let little things (like other ppl being smarter or crammed tutes) frustrate you (there is plenty of time for that in the workforce) and you will pleasantly surprised by the outcomes.
be grateful at the fact that you have an opportunity to have a tertiary education, many others dont.

Leap

free falling
HSC
So far I actually really like Uni, except I feel exhausted all the time from having to get up early and catch public transport every day.

Because I'm at Cumberland campus, which is fairly small, its been easy to get to know people and the administrative side of it isn't such a hassle. Some of the lectures are boring, but the majority of the Lecturers are ok, and so far they've been ready and willing to help with any problems I've had. Which seems to be the opposite of what most people in this thread are saying.

Its a lot of work, but its better than High School cause its not just rote learning from the syllabus.

suz

HSC
I actually love it as well, am loving my course (most of the time) as well as my lecturers and tutors (minus one).
Workload isn't too bad, it's just the beginning. Um, I'm trying to get into good habits now by doing summaries and all that every night so I am actually doing work at home lol
O'week was crap, lets not go there
Social wise it's good, the people are fantastic
The only bad thing is the travelling, I have been so tired these past 3 weeks...

Dave85

HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
There are about 26 or so people in my tutes, too many for everyone to get involved in the discussion. One of the tutors was saying that there should only be about 12 people in each tute for my course.....
thats not 2 bad. i suppose ur course is different 2 mine but most of mine hav 30-35. it wud be better if there smaller but i guess we r all in the same boat.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
Originally posted by johnson
someone yesterday told me something pretty interesting
first year students realise how fucked uni is and how much self-learning you have to do, esp compared to high school. and they whinge and whine a lot about the workload

second year students realise that they don't give a fuck anymore and realise that you only need to pass and that should be enough

third year students are lucky they didn't drop out after second year
thats so true!!!

i went thru first year uni hating it at usyd... knew a few people, no more spoon feeding learning, etc, etc... but then i got over it in second semester and i realised that i don't really care what grades i get as long as i passed!!
as for the tutes, at usyd there was normally like 20-30 people in a tute and you could have discussions about anything. its not that hard, but of course it is dependant on your tutor, some are crap but others are really really good!!

i trasnfer to macq now, i'm loving it... i'm a first year student again!! LOL.. i'm surprised how the other first years write everything down in the lectures and to the unnecessary extras.. LOL... they're all busy writing and i'm just there sitting and listening.. LOL...

santaslayer

HSC
yea mines okaies so far.....just too excessive on the reading requirements and the assingment mountain i have to go thru.(what>.....like 6 at the moment?)
but the worst thibng in uni has got to be the lectures...they are so freaki boring......people actually sleep in them !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)