Do you pay board to live at home? (1 Viewer)

Hannargh

HSC
My boyfriend had to pay $50 a week when he lived at home, him being 1 out of 8 kids, it's easy to see why his parents needed the money.

I on the other hand am lucky that I don't have to pay anything, and being the only one in the family without a job, Mum and Dad spoil me more :eek:

Last edited:

postnatal

Banned
HSC
N/A
i pay for other things. a majority of my savings i'm contributing willingly to a mortgage/renovations for when we move.

HSC
my parents are all "we will never ask anything from you, or for you to pay us back or this or that, we are your parents, it's our job to look after you"

:):):)
Same for me.

I don't pay board but I pretty much pay my own way for travel, uni, books, clothes etc. If I didn't have a job my parents would pay all this for me.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
You cost your parents at least $170 per week, just for food, bills, maintenance, the opportunity cost of you occupying an average room. Any siblings you have will be an additional $170. If you're paying less than this, you're not really covering the financial cost to your parents.

HSC
You cost your parents at least $170 per week, just for food, bills, maintenance, the opportunity cost of you occupying an average room. Any siblings you have will be an additional $170. If you're paying less than this, you're not really covering the financial cost to your parents.
This.

Going from a very basic stance:

Phone(landline) & Internet = $60+ a month
Food = $50+ a week (per person)
Electricity = $300+ every 3 months
Rent = $120+ (for a room)

Those are the big four. So say it is two parents + student.

5 + 50 + 8 + 120 = $183 p/w.

If you have foxtel, or any other luxuries, that's more. Also, if you don't help around the house, add $30.

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd dispute the rent one, whether or not you are living in the room isn't going to affect parents $$$ if you are taking phone/net/electricity and food into account.

HSC
Because yes, there is no chance that they may choose to rent a smaller, cheaper place if you were not living there.

Last edited:
HSC
Uni Grad
Ahhh, true.
Well not my family but in some cases yeh.

HSC
Whether they buy, build or rent a house - it was with you in mind, and they're bearing the extra financial brunt. Who they pay it to is irrelevant.

HSC
Uni Grad
What if they own the house and it's all paid off and shit?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I'd dispute the rent one, whether or not you are living in the room isn't going to affect parents $$$ if you are taking phone/net/electricity and food into account.
The space you are occupying is owned by them and has a value.

By you occupying the room, you cost them the value they could obtain from using that room themselves, for any purpose. That room has a value to them, even if they're not making or losing money on it.

You occupying that room is mutually exclusive of them using that room for any other purpose, so by you occupying that room, you cost them the satisfaction they could obtain by using that room for another purpose. This is the opportunity cost.

It can be determined that, at a market rate, one aspect of the typical value of that room would be determined at around $120/week. So they are effectively giving you $120 of value per week, by allowing you to use that space. The opportunity cost may be higher than this, if there is another purpose that would bring them even greater satisfaction than a financial value of $120/week.

HSC
Uni Grad
The space you are occupying is owned by them and has a value.

By you occupying the room, you cost them the value they could obtain from using that room themselves, for any purpose. That room has a value to them, even if they're not making or losing money on it.

You occupying that room is mutually exclusive of them using that room for any other purpose, so by you occupying that room, you cost them the satisfaction they could obtain by using that room for another purpose. This is the opportunity cost.

It can be determined that, at a market rate, one aspect of the typical value of that room would be determined at around $120/week. So they are effectively giving you $120 of value per week, by allowing you to use that space. The opportunity cost may be higher than this, if there is another purpose that would bring them even greater satisfaction than a financial value of $120/week.

Excellent point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)