Do you need tutoring to do well in 4 unit (1 Viewer)

acevipa

HSC
Hey, I just wanted to find out whether you needed tutoring to do well in 4 unit. I'm finding it pretty difficult by myself, and tutoring does seem a bit expensive.

I'm actually even considering dropping down to 3 unit. The question is can I do just as well in my HSC if I chose 3 unit.

I'm doing:

English Advanced
Physics
Chemistry
Business Studies
Extension 2 Maths

2 Unit Overall Mark - 97%
3 Unit Overall Mark - 92%

Last edited:

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
What subjects do you do, and what are your 3U marks like?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
no, you don't need tutoring.

Even if you had a tutoring, if you are not willing to put effort in, why do it? It's just a waste of money. Tutoring only helps you. The rest is up to you and I don't see much purpose in tutoring if you are willing to put effort in.

acevipa

HSC
Yeh well I'm definitely determined to put the effort in. It's just that a few of the concepts are difficult to grasp, and some of the questions are quite confusing. However, it might just be because I've just started studying 4 unit.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Tutoring helps alot - I actually mean it, it helps significantly. However, you can definately do very well in 4U without tutoring. Those who can learn by themselves seem to do better than those who need a tutor, since they are both motivated and have the life skill of being able to teach themselves.

I find that people who do tutoring are those that want to do well, are above average and want to learn faster BUT aren't motivated enough. :)

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
acevipa said:
Yeh well I'm definitely determined to put the effort in. It's just that a few of the concepts are difficult to grasp, and some of the questions are quite confusing. However, it might just be because I've just started studying 4 unit.
then ask your teacher for more help, thats what they're for

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
acevipa said:
From what you have told us, it seams that you should do fine with 4 unit. Having difficulty with some of the concepts is normal. Even if you spend 1 hour just looking at a specific concept and trying to make sense of it helps signicantly, i can garentee that you will have this eureka insight where you will see it in a different way and it will feel real good. Thats one of the wonderful things about Mathematics Extension 2.

And with some of the problems, just getting help from the teacher with help significantly, but many people on this forum believe that if you spend even an hour on one problem and getting it right will help you understand, then you must think about what was stopping you from getting the solution. Its called learning!

Anyway, good luck!

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Well a tutor helps, but isn't really necessary.

EDIT: I just saw that you posted your marks.

With those marks you should be fine for 4U. You need to do constant study though, to do well in 4U.

Last edited:

Lukybear

HSC
With your marks, you'll be set for 4 Unit. I even know some people who get higher marks in 4unit then 3 unit, probly because of the english..

jet

Banned
HSC
You'll be able to do 4 unit. From all my friends I can tell you that tutors generally go fast, and don't tend to reinforce and help you with the work you have done in class, but do things there own way. i dont think this is right.

I did 4 unit without a tutor. Some concepts were hard to grasp, but using a wide range of textbooks helps, and, if all else fails, google :).

I still remember my first day of 4 unit, the other 8 people in my class asked me if i had a tutor, and I said no. They looked at me as if i had four heads. Turns out I came second without a tutor.

Anyway, I am sure your teacher would also be willing to help if you had trouble.

Just my two cents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)