• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do you Need to be good at maths for Applied Finance/Economics? (1 Viewer)

pwned1

HSC
Hi I was wondering, I currently do General maths and am scoring 88-92%, I checked on macquarie uni website that its Assumed to do Mathamatics and they recommend Maths EX1. I don't do this, and im very interested in the B.AppFin/B.Eco but they both require high level of maths.
Im wondering if i did this course, would I struggle in it since I am only doing General maths?
Any advice from people out there regarding this?
Thanks.

Ziva

Banned
HSC
You have to be reasonably good at maths, yes.

*AnT*

i hate my username.
HSC
N/A
not really.
if you know how to rearrange equations and put numbers into formulas, then no i dont think you'd have a problem.
though, economics is a bitch, and it bites hard. truth.

Lou283

HSC
It's not so much being good at maths as having enough knowledge to be able to re-arrange formulas and work out equations. I did the ACST101 which is the introductory unit to finance for all commerce subjects this sem and it wasn't too bad and I wasn't great at maths in high school - but it also has a large fail and drop out rate.

You could give it a go and if you don't enjoy it just transfer into the commerce degree instead. You will do more or less the same first unit or atleast first semester units anyway. ECON isn't highly maths based as such but again you need to have maths knowledge and be able to understand formula etc.

All the best,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)