Do you need a tutor for 4u Maths?? (1 Viewer)

illin

Ill factor
HSC
I know heaps of ppl who have tutors because they want to study study study and get a good UAI no matter what
that is just plain stupid
I m not struggling in 3u this year, I m doin quite well
top ten out of about 150
there will be about 15 ppl doin 4u next year and ill prob be around 5th in the class
Should i get a tutor
I dont really want to that the thing
Do u guys who do 4u have tutors
are u doin well?
Cheers!

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
only get tuition if u really need it, and ull find out when u need it straight after half yearlies, but a lot of tutors r pretty bad and r jus afta ur money...ur own hard work will constitute for success...i dont have a tutor per se, but i know heaps of ppl who have done 4u+ a few teachers who i get help from sometimes if i really need it...my problem is not knowledge, but exam technique and time management, in 4u that is a big issue

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I'm agreeing with supra (again:p), tutors are pretty useless if you understand the work, and your time can be better spent doing past papes to work on exam technique.

EDIT: I don't have a tutor, and I would have considered myself to be struggling in 2u accelerated last year, I came into 4u having been ranked about 14th. First couple of assessments i came about the middle of the class of 17, but then I really put my foot down and started studying tons of past papers. In the trials I came 1st in 3u (98%) and 2nd in 4u (70%) with ranks of 2nd and 4th respectively overall. You don't need a tutor to do well, you just need to be committed.

Last edited:

mojako

HSC
withoutaface said:
I'm agreeing with supra (again:p), tutors are pretty useless if you understand the work, and your time can be better spent doing past papes to work on exam technique.
hmm its not really exam technique...
its the technique of doing questions :p
applies to anything, not just exam and assessments.

applies when you're doing homework or when a friend asks you how to do a question, or when you're called in class to do a Q on the board.

illin

Ill factor
HSC
Thanks guys i will prob not get a tutor and stay heaps committed to 4u!
Thanks i guess most of it all is cutting out the stupid mistakes and knowing all the stuff
Thanks again
Cheers! :D

P

prsce24

i disagree with not having a tutor,
if your school teachers are crap and is a person that is lazy, they won't help you if you find some questions hard.

i say tutors are very helpful, illin you say you think u can come 5th, but don't you wanna be a bit better than that? if you can do 5th without tutor, i think you can come 1st with tutor.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I never had a tutor, but I have now tutored 2 people for 4U, and I think that they were helped by me (well, I hope they were). So I think it depends on you as a person (and no, I don't mean your ability).

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
prsce24 said:
i disagree with not having a tutor,
if your school teachers are crap and is a person that is lazy, they won't help you if you find some questions hard.

i say tutors are very helpful, illin you say you think u can come 5th, but don't you wanna be a bit better than that? if you can do 5th without tutor, i think you can come 1st with tutor.
I'm lazy as all fuck, I just love my maths:)

illin

Ill factor
HSC
Yes i do want to be better, and i thinbk i can
But is having a tutor a good decision?
1. It takes up time
2. tutors can be shit
3. There are teachers
What do tutors do in the first place? Teach u new material or just help u out on tough problems? The most important things is to be committed to maths and i think i am, or will be more
ppl here say they do not have tutors and they think having tutors are a wate of time? I dunno but I think i wont get a tutor cause of 1, 2, and 3
What do u think?

ngai

HSC
illin said:
1. It takes up time
2. tutors can be shit
3. There are teachers
well:
4. teachers can be shit
5. tutors can be good
6. getting a good tutor can get u higher marks

but then:
7. it costs money

well, after all that...i'd say yes...but only if u can find urself a good tutor

mojako

HSC
I wont get a tutor.
Just get past papers with the solutions, and do questions on textbook.
But, don't look at the solutions when you're doing them.

If you already understand what's being taught in class, tutors can waste time.

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
I come from a place where if you have a tutor you are way below average overall. If you are doing 4-unit maths then you don't really need a tutor in the first place.

But that's just me anyways...

ben_ratus

HSC
I have a dodgy maths teacher who just copies stuff out of the book and can only explain the most basic concepts. I have a tutor and thats where i learnt all my maths. If you know that your going to have a crap maths teacher, then get a tutor. Otherwise you should be fine with out a tutor.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
so basically:

advantage of a tutor=skip ahead of class so when u do the topic in class u know wots goin on and if u dont get something go ova it with tha tutor

1.It takes up time-sure it does but fuk we all got plenty of time on our hands, and if u find a good tutor this time is beneficial...its part of study time i guess
2.crap tutor= shop around, change the tutor is hes shit
3. crap teacher--for all u poor bastards yall need a tutor definitely
good teacher- if u find soemthin difficult get a tutor otahwise do wot justin did and do heaps of past papers, and ur teacher can help u along the wa

the all important issue of money, u have to look at if hte tutor is actually worth the money he's cahrging

Jase

HSC
most tutors in institutional practice are actaully teachers at schools anyway, but theres always the exception.
Private tutors, like uni students and just.. those special tutors are alot better because theyre more flexible and probably cheaper.
What 'good' tutors should do is
A) Give you crazy methods so you can do questions more efficiently.
B) Clear up any misunderstandings about the topic.
C) Give prac papers.
D) be good company - make maths fun lol.

illin

Ill factor
HSC
Thanks guys
I am thinking about getting a tutor now but i reckon my maths teacher is alright so we'll c
I have a lot of commitments during the week so i also think i wont be able to fit a tutor in anyway!
Thanks for ur help guys!
Cheers!

cameron0110

HSC
Well I don't have a maths tutor and I've ended up coming about 4-5/50 in a top 5 school. That being said though I do have maths teachers as parents and while they don't tutor me I can ask them questions like I would my teacher at school so it comes down to how often u can ask your teacher questions and how good they are at answering them. Tutoring can be an expensive waste of time especially if u are a very self-motivated person and can work independently and understand the work as well because I know a lot of ppl that understand the concepts but use tutoring as a way of motivation and I just wonder what's the point of forking out money to get yourself to study.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
illin said:
Thanks guys
I am thinking about getting a tutor now but i reckon my maths teacher is alright so we'll c
I have a lot of commitments during the week so i also think i wont be able to fit a tutor in anyway!
Thanks for ur help guys!
Cheers!
If you have lots of commitments during the week then I might suggest that 4u is not for you.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
1 person in the top 10 for 4u doesnt have a tutor at my skool

lolz...

all the other non tutor ppl are ranked 20+

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)