Do you have to pass Finals to pass the course? (1 Viewer)

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
i never knew uni subjects scaled

tell me moar?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
The harder subjects get scaled, like maths in UNSW and apparently Accounting finals for UTS too, win win situation :D

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
so does that mean in order to pass the course, a lower mark in the final is required? or does that mean subjects will be marked a little easier? or does it work jsut liek the hsc in terms of raw marks lol

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Pretty sure they mark it then decide on scaling after the results are out, like hsc, so yeah a lower mark could do you, but if you fuck up hard then you're fucked overall.

(Not 100% sure on this tho)

aya-chan

HSC
Things are definitely scaled. They want about 5% of people with HDs, and so on. If things weren't scaled, why would people choose to do subjects like higher maths and higher physics instead of just maths and physics? Apart from the challenge, I suppose.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
hmm makes sense cheerrs

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Things are definitely scaled. They want about 5% of people with HDs, and so on. If things weren't scaled, why would people choose to do subjects like higher maths and higher physics instead of just maths and physics? Apart from the challenge, I suppose.
it's not the hsc where they scale sujects coz they are harder, they use bell curves and shii

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
I think most courses aren't scaled though. They usually only scale to fit the required levels for the university standards (and for higher/lower courses), so if the marks are fine, i.e. right amount of HD's D's and C's then they'll just leave it, and most courses should be okay with that imo.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
is statistics scaled? lol, i need it.. if it favours me

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It depends from course to course, uni to uni. I don't think there's any set guideline to which subjects are scaled/belled.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
ok final question, if the course does indeed entail scaling, is it possible to actually get 'scaled down' in the sense that you'll lose marks comparatively to what you actually got?

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
ok final question, if the course does indeed entail scaling, is it possible to actually get 'scaled down' in the sense that you'll lose marks comparatively to what you actually got?
yes it is possible, since some subjects are scaled to a bell curve

actuarial subs are the only ones in commerce that scale.

HSC
N/A
i know for sure math1151/1251 are not scaled though
Tosh! Maths scales pretty much everything. How they scale depends on how people actually did, university guidelines on proportions of HDs, DNs etc and especially on how good the students are. In a 3rd year higher subject with lots of people with HD WAMs they'll give more than half the class an HD. But in some classes the failure rate can be pretty high.

When there are higher/ordinary classes they will scale DOWN high marks in the ordinary, but I don't think that they'd scale someone who scored more than 50 raw to a fail.

In all the faculties the marks need to get approved by some faculty committee so if some whacked prof decides he wants to give lots of HDs to a class where everyone has a WAM of 38, or wants to fail 80% of the students, he gets told to go back and fix the marks up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)